Spanners' SP60 Beams bugeye starlet

spanners

Like Malcolm X, I have a dream. Not that black kids wont get harrassed, but that my starlet will paint epic 11's all over NZs roads. So it begins...

bought it kinda rooted, but really straight body. Now im half way through altezzing the cunt, gots me some coilovers and reyums, and a lux diff

Its about 400x harder than a 20v conversion, mainly due to it not fitting well and the altezza having some dumb stuff on it, but I hope its worth it when I load that stupid 80kg dual mass flywheel with some revs and pop some skids...

Gots me a Turd Wing for it, bolt ons, fixed buckets, minature steering wheel etc.

Cant wait to get to the point where I have fast and furious style stickers all over the sides, like big dragons and stuff. Im talking F&F 1 baby, original stz. Not.

Then

P1030912Resized.jpg

In progress

P1040065.jpg

And washed and still in progress...

DSCN8989.jpg

Aim to have it done by xmas but work on it has slowed down as it gets harder and harder (and $$$$)

At least I sold the fucking chevron, was great to see it gone.

Sorry about taking ages to put this up, Im lazy and prefer to look at other peoples builds than to actually display my butchery

discuss...

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24152

Spanners

Ok not feeling as lazy today... Specs are

Beams + 6 speed

Hilux diff

Daimante twin pot front calipers

626 front discs

Bluebird rear calipers

Telstar rear discs

BC gold coilovers

Walbro fuel pump

Surge tank

Im maybe half way through build, but things are starting to get really cunting. Will just solider on but may take longer than expected. Which always sucks

Um.... pics cos people have asked...

Suspension wound down a lot. Still no weight on it - is hanging at full droop for height setting

P1040173.jpg

P1040153.jpg

P1040151.jpg

DSCN8996.jpg

words suck, photos rule

coilovers wound right down. I think I will buy new rear springs anyway so if i do I will make sure they are shorter and softer.

P1040184.jpg

And one idea I have for final product, but I am still not sure on it. Anyone got any other ideas or thoughts on this one?

sidestripedesign.jpg

and of course, I wouldnt be a retard if I didnt give you a token cellphone in the wheel/how many credit cards can you fit between the guard and the tyre photo... (by the way the answer is zero)

P1040181.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Oh and FYI

There was basically no need to slot the top of front strut holes, as where the camber adjusting bolts are going to sit will be within the original ring.

So dont cut it before you work out if you have to spanners you fucking retard

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No pics until friday when I pick up the car. But...

Seats in

Quads on

rear slut brace made

Gbox x member on

rardirardirah

On the to do list is

Radiator

Driveshaft

Fuel lines

Brake lines

Wiring

Tuning

Skeeeedz

Will put photos up as soon as the car is back home!

Pics for ya

Anyone in welly a panel beater? I need some shit done and need it done proper. My seat mounts look quite fucked up from years of fat cunts. They need a plate or something. Also found rust under old battery tray but will be an easy fix.

I think i have fallen in love with the man who did this work for me. He undercharges so much, its awesome.

P1040569.jpg

P1040568.jpg

P1040570.jpg

P1040576.jpg

P1040574.jpg

P1040573.jpg

DSCF5206.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered an alloy honda civic radiator. Its gonna fit!

Not very big but leaves more room for required airflow to feed hungry hungry quads (hippos?). Also means I can mount homozuku style oil cooler and La Cocoracha air horns.

I expect progress to be quite pathetic over christmas as I drink myself into jolly oblivion etc

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress over the break...

This is the ke20 heater I am going to use. Simota baby yeah. It works well, the starlet controls fit it well enough to work.

P1040687.jpg

Dash test fit, surprisingly it still fits fine...

P1040684.jpg

New windscreen rubber, was suuuch a cunt to fit

P1040683.jpg

Standard headers look good

P1040682.jpg

Honda civic radiator and new filtaaaah socks

P1040680.jpg

P1040681.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update. Been putting interior back together so that cert man can get the idea. It all fits and I havent lost anything so mint. Made me up some ally door cards too but man its so dirty in these pics. Looks much tougher in real life. Note there are rear door(?) cards too to cover up the big triangle gap.

P1040703.jpg

Also have finally sorted handbrake cables, sourced from bluebird that rear calipers are off

P1040704.jpg

Nothing else getting done for a few weeks

• 2 weeks later...

New page? Surely *edit ... nope

So my flatmate gave me heaps of stick about not getting much done lately. When a stoner mocks you about motivation, you know its time to go to work. so...

Certifier came around the other day. He said its all good to carry on, everything is up to spec etc. Except the surge tank which needs a catch tray around it which drains out to the road. For safety...

Now I have fully stripped car ready for painting engine bay and interior floor. Quite excited about the transformation which will no doubt come from a lick of paint.

Also getting engine sorted, got manifold on properly and all the right nuts and bolts. Sorting brakes and brake lines too. All calipers are away getting a refurb and all the rusty bolt on parts like x members and diff housing are at the powder coaters. I hope gloss black doesnt look shit.

Its the first car I have ever taken apart like this. Have learnt so much, its been wicked. I swear that with the amount of work that went into this if somebody ever steals it there will be a bounty on their fucking head! Its funny that my quick lil project ended up a full nut and bolt rebuild.. There must only be a handful of nuts and bolts which havent actually come off the car.

Also mad props to Toyota, this car is 30 years old and wasnt exactly babied, but still not a single seized bolt and only 1 tiny spot of rust under the battery tray. What a minter.

Anyway sorry, yawn. Photos

from this

P1040832.jpg

to this

P1040888.jpg

Some people wanted to see my master cyl backing plate

P1040879.jpg

Interior proper raped

P1040894.jpg

Door cards etc

P1040860.jpg

Shows how tight a fit the throttle for the quads is to the fuel rail

P1040839.jpg

All my stuff off to powder coaters

P1040830.jpg

Shows how mint insides of guards and stuff are (excuse dirt)

P1040901.jpg

Hopefully progress will be swift. I think buying the ECU is going to be the killer really, everything else is working out

xoxo

Spammers

discussion fred:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24152

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Fuck me sideways its been so long since i updated this. Been studying and generally being a sack of shit alcoholic and not doing car....

Car is in workshop at the mo, been working on it recently. While I have it there i will sort all the panel work and get it macking!

Howat engineering has made my new driveshaft, its mint and fits sweet

Radiator is mounted, its actually something I stole from my old lotus 7 parts pile. Also robbed the oil cooler off it, they fit sweet. Kinda. Hope it cools my engine sweet, it was previously cooling a 3sge so should be close... And yes its dirty :)

Decided against megasqurt in the end. Will get a link one day...

Have bought ke70/ae86 lcas and castor arms, and a te7 sway bar. Going to make a fully rose jointed front end for extra noise and crashiness.

pics

2011-11-15175221.jpg

2011-11-15175453.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been finishing front suspension recently. Engine back out for gaskets and maps sensor fittings etc. While its out I can do fuel and brake lines. Hopefully 2nd to last time engine comes out!

Got a good deal on the fuel line. Got a 10m roll of 3/8 steel tube from repco, was sposed to be $250 but then the old maori lady behind the counter decided that was way to expensive so just changed the price on the computer to $120. Legend.

The pic here is with the new LCAs, about 60mm longer than standard. Makes for some nice wide track.

newsusp.jpg

Starlet vs modified KE70

LCA.jpg

Installed with TE sway bar and ke70 castor arms with rose jointed end

newsusp2.jpg

• 1 month later...