New LVVTA tyre-rim size chart.

cletus

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the news is a bit better / never is.

I hope it's still a "Guide" only and manufacturer specs over rule it.

yep it says on the first page, if outside of the guide, manufacturers specs must be followed- with proof supplied

so if you can get a particular brand of tyre, say a 195/50/15, and the manufacturer of the tyre says its ok to use on a 9" rim, then it can be certed.

Weird that a 265/50 14 can go up to 10" wide, but 265/60 and /70 only to 9.5????

There's a lot of sizes missing but I guess we will just have to check manufacturers specs on those

Ie 175/50-13, 225/40-14 or anything to suit a 14x12" for that matter

cheers for scanning tho this is all good to know.

I guess it's really just a guide, and they said manufacturers ratings trump it. whichs kinda begs the question as to why they didn't just reiterate instead that all tyres must be fitted to rims that meet the tyre manufacturers width specifications.

the 2nd part is what if your rims don't have an exterior width marking on them? you cant check actual bead width w/o removing the tyre i.e. now I'm thinking these wheels I have might only be 7" wide just with an exceptionally thick rim in the bead area..............

I'm thinking ultimately it will come down to not being a douche and getting along with your certifirer/wof man in the real world and satisfying them that the vehicle is safe as its their signature that goes on the cert/wof.

• Like 1

Thanks for that man.

Still a load of shit but meh.

I'm sorted with factory specs going far beyond those.

I wonder who set them.

And whats stopping someone getting the correct size for cert then swapping them.

Are they going to add tyres to cert plates?

How are they going to measure an unstamped wheel on the side of the road?

Might get out the punch kit and do some stamping.

• Like 1

My bet is that its just giving the cert guys some teeth to stop the rediculous stretch that some people are running and trying to get certified.

A chart like this means that the vehicle owner now has to prove the tyres are legal for the rim, rather than the cert guy having to prove they are not.

My bet is that its just giving the cert guys some teeth to stop the rediculous stretch that some people are running and trying to get certified.

Are there really that many people running silly stretch on the streets? I wouldn't really know as I don't see it with taupo being small, only what I see people posting on forums but most of them aren't being silly about it. I guess auckland/hamilton/chch with lots of boyracers maybe there are alot of people being stupid?

• Like 1

Are there really that many people running silly stretch on the streets? I wouldn't really know as I don't see it with taupo being small, only what I see people posting on forums but most of them aren't being silly about it. I guess auckland/hamilton/chch with lots of boyracers maybe there are alot of people being stupid?

I agree, I don't think I've seen any cars running insane stretch on the road, and I'm in Hamilton fairly often... Maybe I'm just not in the right place at the right time :rolleyes:

its only a guide, i just got certed for 15 x 9 with 205/50 on them no worries.

it says on the front of the infosheet that if the certifier is presented with a tyre/wheel combo outside what this says then manufacturers specs must be followed, so either your tyre is approved by the manufacturer for that size rim, or the certifier ignored/is unaware of the rules. its not just a 'guide'.

• 4 months later...