cletus

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, xsspeed said:

@KKtrips thanks mate

As far as compiling this how was it done? Looking at various manufacturers recommendations? Ultimately curious about the variance in rim width based on profile, is that because a 70 profile is  generally designed to be a balloon sidewall but a 30 profile designed to be rigid?

Information was taken from the 2020 ETRTO Standard (like below but more current). Then a comparison was made to see if there were any common areas on the previous infosheet that we could increase over the ETRTO as we had already accepted them previously. Anywhere there was a logical choice to increase, it was done, but only up to a max of 1/2" more than the ETRTO. Then where there were gaps in the chart, they were filled in by following the patterns of up to down and left to right.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bGUAAOSwJgpdIPrN/s-l640.jpg

• Like 1

On 14/07/2021 at 15:07, KKtrips said:

Tyre tread is the part that rolls on the road, so the horizontal part and probably a portion of the part that rolls around the corner. But vertical (sidewall) tread is not part of the tread in regards to guard coverage.

I would expect coverage of the horizontal to the red line.

Tread.jpg

Legend, thanks for the response.

• 8 months later...

So I got some 14x8 and 14x9 wheels for my car supper happy with the wheels, cant wait to get them on the car. going to look awesome !
I have had a look at this chart and spent a bit of time google searching sizes.  I have come to the conclusion that I should ask the community.
as you lot have probably already sused the info I need to know.

225/40 14 on the 9 inch wide rims. 
205/40 14 on the 8 inch wide rim.

these are probably the best solution?. but proving a little hard to find . 

and recommendations/advice welcome. or if you think I should be looking at a different size please let me know. 

thanks lads.

• Like 1

Good luck is all I can say. I had enough trouble finding options for my 14x7.5" wheels. No worries if not going for cert, but when going for cert, the options were slim to none. I don't have the chart handy to know what fits. But when I was looking for my 7.5's, 195/45 was the best option I could find locally. Which at the time was one brand and they have limited supply and didn't bring them into the country often. I ended up changing to 7" wheels sadly, which is a lame solution but the easiest option for me. And 15" which is another sin, but tyre options were plentiful. As I say though good luck, if you can make it work, it will be worth it. May just have to look overseas at their options, Japan perhaps.

On 20/03/2022 at 13:36, Bling said:

Good luck is all I can say. I had enough trouble finding options for my 14x7.5" wheels. No worries if not going for cert, but when going for cert, the options were slim to none. I don't have the chart handy to know what fits. But when I was looking for my 7.5's, 195/45 was the best option I could find locally. Which at the time was one brand and they have limited supply and didn't bring them into the country often. I ended up changing to 7" wheels sadly, which is a lame solution but the easiest option for me. And 15" which is another sin, but tyre options were plentiful. As I say though good luck, if you can make it work, it will be worth it. May just have to look overseas at their options, Japan perhaps.

So I have managed to find some nankings ns20  in the 225 40 14 size. which I was very surprised at finding them, I had assumed that they were going to be the hard size to get. they are on order now. recons about 4 weeks. 600 bucks (ouch) for 2 off, but its what you got to do to keep cert man happy. 

so next is the 205 40 14  .  and then a cert modification just for the wheels and tires. hopefully that wont be a drama 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The only 205/40-14 I've ever seen in existence is a low speed trailer/golf cart tyre which is not suitable for road going vehicles

As for the front. go for 195/45R14 - Falken still make them and may have some more coming into NZ.  (Currently no stock)  I can look into this tomorrow. 

I know your post is a month or so back but I'm doubting you've found anything since.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spiderwebfx said:

The only 205/40-14 I've ever seen in existence is a low speed trailer/golf cart tyre which is not suitable for road going vehicles

As for the front. go for 195/45R14 - Falken still make them and may have some more coming into NZ.  (Currently no stock)  I can look into this tomorrow. 

I know your post is a month or so back but I'm doubting you've found anything since.

Should have read this thread too. It's relevant to my 14x8 tyre options post. 

Could be keen on a full set of said tyres....though are they suitable for an 8" rim? I see some old talk on this forum inc a link to a letter from Falken saying the Z912 pattern is OK for 8“ (but 195/45 is not on LVVTA list.) 

Only other option I have heard of is the Toyo 225/40s but allegedly not sold here any longer, could possibly get (indent for months.)

On 18/04/2022 at 21:18, Flauski said:

Should have read this thread too. It's relevant to my 14x8 tyre options post. 

Could be keen on a full set of said tyres....though are they suitable for an 8" rim? I see some old talk on this forum inc a link to a letter from Falken saying the Z912 pattern is OK for 8“ (but 195/45 is not on LVVTA list.) 

Only other option I have heard of is the Toyo 225/40s but allegedly not sold here any longer, could possibly get (indent for months.)

Ahh sorry, disregard the 195/45R14 option. I misread the new chart because I'm an idiot (and can't read sideways).

Falken has discontinued the ZE912 and they also completely redid their catalogue changing the min/max rim sizes so it was in line with most other tyre manufacturers.

I'm looking into it to see if anything is available but it's not looking promising

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/04/2022 at 08:32, spiderwebfx said:

Ahh sorry, disregard the 195/45R14 option. I misread the new chart because I'm an idiot (and can't read sideways).

Falken has discontinued the ZE912 and they also completely redid their catalogue changing the min/max rim sizes so it was in line with most other tyre manufacturers.

I'm looking into it to see if anything is available but it's not looking promising

No luck chief?

• 2 months later...
On 10/05/2022 at 14:58, Flauski said:

No luck chief?

I know this was a while back but unfortunately still nothing.  I've gone through most of the main suppliers in NZ (there will be a few I don't deal with) for tyres with a list of sizes that might suit and can't find anything.

These are the sizes I looked for:
195/40R14, 205/40R14, 205/45R14, 215/40R14, 215/45R14, 215/50R14, 225/40R14, 225/45R14, 225/50R14
Most of these sizes just don't exist in general but I did my best to check every possibility.

I don't see any option suitable at all unfortunately.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It has been a while since I've been here but thought I'd give you a tyre size update.

Falken currently has 195/45R14 ZE914's available in NZ.
Legal up to 7.5" wide rim.

These are classed as a NRO (no re-order) so once they're sold they're no longer available, roughly 150 in NZ currently. 

Depending on who you know, they're roughly $150-$200 each.

image.png.5f0a45e905db9414e08e8a8bcf668606.png

• Like 3

And a second update that I'm sure a lot of people are aware of as well.

Nankang now stock the 225/40R14 in a NS20 in NZ.  I'm unsure if this is a long term thing or not (it'll probably depend on sales).
Legal up to 9" wide rim.

There is currently 25 in NZ and they have got more on order.

Pricing should range from $200 to $250 a tyre.

image.png.9b8a6f0613a856271537cef0a0ce3f0e.png

• Like 7

8 hours ago, spiderwebfx said:

And a second update that I'm sure a lot of people are aware of as well.

Nankang now stock the 225/40R14 in a NS20 in NZ.  I'm unsure if this is a long term thing or not (it'll probably depend on sales).
Legal up to 9" wide rim.

There is currently 25 in NZ and they have got more on order.

Pricing should range from $200 to $250 a tyre.

image.png.9b8a6f0613a856271537cef0a0ce3f0e.png

Do you know anything about 16s? specifically for 9, 9.5 or 10" wide

On 03/05/2023 at 15:52, xsspeed said:

Do you know anything about 16s? specifically for 9, 9.5 or 10" wide

Not really much out there for small car tyres

225/45R16 (up to 9" wide) is available in some road legal semi-slicks.

225/40R16 (up to 9" wide) there is 5x Falken ZE914 in the country but then no longer available that.

• Thanks 1