New LVVTA tyre-rim size chart.

cletus

My son was told by a WOF guy that he needed mudflaps on his lifted 4WD (all certed etc and had a many WOF's before).

A different WOF man was happy to let it go through on the basis that the rear body/bar provided enough coverage.

So it may be that the WOF inspectors have been asked to tighten up.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Mof said:

Lvvta was set up by a bunch of hotrod nice guys to give a voice to the general public against the bureaucratic rules of the nzta, to help them see reason and be fair.

Imo it seems to me that bureaucracy has taken over lvvta too

It always gets you in the end.

21 minutes ago, cletus said:

I dont know when exactly but the virm has been changed at some point in the past few years as that mudguard diagram used to look like this and there was no requirement for a full width mudguard apart from dual wheel vehicles 

Strangely it's still the same as it used to be , in the motorcycle section

Screenshot_20210706-180928_Samsung Internet.jpg

Changed in the 1 April 2021 update

24 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Changed in the 1 April 2021 update

I think it was previous to that. 

I was told a while ago (probably a couple of years ago) to make sure lifted 4wds had mudflaps that comply with the virm 

I looked at the virm and found that diagram that I posted earlier, and for the same reasons as I posted earlier (many unmodified vehicles not meeting the requirement in the virm) spoke to lvvta who was going to look into it further, I also spoke to someone at NZTA  who thought the diagram had been changed incorrectly 

This would have been pre covid  at least as the guy who I spoke to only attends meetings via skype since covid, and I spoke to him in person  

Just had a look and the 2021 update was cof only, cant find when wof one was changed  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cletus said:

I think it was previous to that. 

I was told a while ago (probably a couple of years ago) to make sure lifted 4wds had mudflaps that comply with the virm 

I looked at the virm and found that diagram that I posted earlier, and for the same reasons as I posted earlier (many unmodified vehicles not meeting the requirement in the virm) spoke to lvvta who was going to look into it further, I also spoke to someone at NZTA  who thought the diagram had been changed incorrectly 

This would have been pre covid  at least as the guy who I spoke to only attends meetings via skype since covid, and I spoke to him in person  

Just had a look and the 2021 update was cof only, cant find when wof one was changed  

I'm sure you are right, I didn't look very closely.

• Like 1

Not just scratch built, 

that will be for all modified vehicles  

At the moment most things are covered by standards and the CCM is for more complicated mods

LVVTA is changing their system to simplify things by making the standards a basic document and making the CCM the thing that everyone uses 

What is the correct ruling when it comes to this image in regards to tyres with sidewall tread
20210706_094743.jpg

This is a tyre we sell a lot of for example, and on a lot of the Ford Rangers we put them on, the sidewall tread sticks out of the guards but the rest does not.

image.png.967473321db673d09a2cbbfbfa16de2e.png

On 12/07/2021 at 21:00, spiderwebfx said:

What is the correct ruling when it comes to this image in regards to tyres with sidewall tread

Tyre tread is the part that rolls on the road, so the horizontal part and probably a portion of the part that rolls around the corner. But vertical (sidewall) tread is not part of the tread in regards to guard coverage.

I would expect coverage of the horizontal to the red line.

Tread.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MRWEST said:

Interesting, bit of a change from the last one, fixed what was probably actually an error on the old sheet which i was hoping too use on my car but ah well it happens haha

Yeah there were a couple of errors on the old one, which we have cleaned up, probably get some flak for it, but we couldn't perservere with the errors that were on the old one.

@KKtrips thanks mate

As far as compiling this how was it done? Looking at various manufacturers recommendations? Ultimately curious about the variance in rim width based on profile, is that because a 70 profile is  generally designed to be a balloon sidewall but a 30 profile designed to be rigid?