Jamies 86 Hilux Sr5 bargain basment build with added boat anchor

HighLUX

Got the 1G sitting nicely in the engine bay.

IMG_0527_zps0628e05d.jpg

Cut the mounts off the chassis and shortened them down a bit to get the engine sitting lower. Drivers side is sweet but passengers side block mount needs to be shortened motor sitting central. 

IMG_0526_zps1bb38159.jpg

Measured where the sump needs work and cut out the bare minimum but theres still heaps of room for the drag link.

IMG_0528_zpsb7e4c054.jpg

Will try get the welding done before xmas hopefully, will just need loom wired in fuel pump and cooling sorted which is easy

Need to find a slimmer radiator from something new that has both outlets on the drivers side plus twin fans

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So instead of getting welding done by someone else I brought my own machine of sorcery.

IMG_0967_zps55dd1544.jpg

Just need to find an old extinguisher to get filled with argosheild and il be away.

Cylinders aka Colin is going to give me a hand with welding the mounts plus give me a few pointers on what to do

One problem with the swap was going to be the factory battery mount being in the way of the 1G air box setup, I was pulling a legnum to bits in the weekend and found that they have a bolt in battery tray with a nice brace to support a bit of overhang.

It will do the job nicely.

IMG_0968_zps6494436c.jpg

• Like 2

Old tyres stripped off the other pair of meshies and spit them ready for a date with a polishing machine this week sometime.

$32 worth of 195/55/15r tyres from pickapart waiting to be put back on once the centers get machined, got bolts waiting to put them back together. hopefully they will be looking like the other pair in a week or 2.

IMG_0986_zpsf602e7a0.jpg

Went to see my toyota wrecking mate and braved attack by a swarm of angry wasps living in a v6 surf to remove its radiator only to find its too tall to fit my engine bay.

After that I went to pickapart and found a clutch hardline to suit the 1G setup being on the passengers side.

Now for cold beer

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing boring shit like pulling the guards off to cut plastic inner guards for less tyre rub and moving the loom up higher shifting wiring to other side of engine bay etc.

Purchased a set of hens teeth off trademe in the form of a toyota dealership repair manual to suit the 1G and bargain of the week is a 2.25in aftermarket exhaust off a hilux for  $100 complete with RD41366 "performance muffler" and sweet coby res. Should sound rather tits on the 6cyl 4age

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

2 lumps of metal that cost lots but will get ute sitting in the weeds while maintaining some suspension travel

1233506_10154668975205323_61934102489230

Rear leaves are out atm to be reset.

2nd pair of rims have been modified and bands polished ready for reassembly

Hoarded another couple of 1Gs

10514690_10154355945780323_3309250388914

1465348_10154668158750323_70739460136281

and done alot of procrastinating

I should be doing alot more but meh

• Like 4

2nd set of rims back together and how it looks now with flipped leaves and no engine in it.

10640994_10154671894545323_8666225621556

Running 195/55 on the rear and 195/50 on the front.

Still has an inch+ of travel without engine in the bay so should be able to get plenty of travel with the spindles in there and some fine tuning of the torsion bars.

Hopefully the spring magician can reset my leaves enough that I dont need to run blocks but we will see

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Scored a W57 from a burnout late model hilux for $250. Stripped it down and checked its condition plus replaced seals, plastic shifter bush/seat and reverse switch that had gone all melty from the heat.

P1000790_zps267f4cfa.jpg

Looks alot beefier than the G52 and has a much different tail shaft housing setup but the shifter will still be in the same place thanks to the forward shifter setup.

Should handle a bit more abuse than the G52 and future proof any engine upgrade

1G bellhousing swapped onto it with fork and carrier bearing ready to go back in one more time.

Gotta take the wellside off at some point to mount fuel pump and tidy up the holes for the notch

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

P1000929_zpse8497ef8.jpg

Simon aka evil_si did an awesome job on modding the sump and pickup plus adding wings to keep the capacity up. Will bang it back on the block after a a paint up then get it the engine back in the hole to get engine mounts sorted and possible need to tweak one of the heater pipes that fouls the firewall before getting into doing the wiring which should be simple but im dreading because electricity is witchcraft.

Also im the proud owner of a 4th 1GGE now so shouldnt ever be short of spare parts(maybe proud isnt the right word)

P1000931_zps26cd90a5.jpg

And scored some sweet  flags from an antique shop plus a JAF badge

10620808_10155151494435323_1095860159697

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got these chur olde PYE alloy housing speaker boxes off a fellow member. 

Speaker/tweeters was looking ok but probably sound not so flash due to there age so did a little project perfect for a cold night while sipping whiskey

IMG_1422_zps1n2gnq7z.jpg

A mate gave me a pair of soundstream tweeters with crossovers which are the same size as the original so I sourced a pair of cheap 4 inch speakers to fit with them

IMG_1420_zpslsnvi1cq.jpg

IMG_1421_zpsowpohht9.jpg

Will mount them behind the seats in the xtra cab and stash the crossovers somewhere under the dash when I figure out what im going to do in regards to a headunit.

Should sound nice while still looking old and tatty with the rest of the ute

• Like 3

Ticked one more job off the list this morning.

Neat fuel pump and filter on soft mount bracket combo from a E320 merc

IMG_1423_zpsgqduawgz.jpg

Perfect setup for those going from carby to EFI but there is one problem and that is the tank inlet side of the pump is over double the size of the feed line from the fuel tank so the solution is a couple of ARO fittings

IMG_1424_zpsgklhenxs.jpg

Had a play round underneath the cab and chassis to find a suitable spot to mount it. 

IMG_1427_zpsxyddd77e.jpg

Sits up nice and high, just need to cut some brackets so its not held on by only one bolt and get a P clip to hold the fuel line reducer.

Bonus was it is right next to a wiring grommet to feed the wiring into the cab.

Went to test it out and fuel pump no work with 12v straight off a battery, bugger...... oh well it was free anyway so will aliexpress a brand new one from Jack Ma and his mates

IMG_1428_zpspmvwxwze.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally had a set of these pop up on trademe which I quickly snapped up

Small addition but adds to the overall awesomeness

10421980_10155578721375323_1309149958215

Also got my loom modded by Stu and have brought relays a fuse holder and wire to make it all go. Next job is to make engine mounts on the chassis side then I can start wiring it up

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...