JZX81 - Second wind

thegreatestben

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Installed the RCA's from TTT, very nice product for a pretty sharp price!

Changed the feeling in the steering back to factory spec. Felt very disjointed without them.

Still haven't touched the rears, did however have a friend who has a JZX81 chaser donate a rear shock to me so I can prepare the MX5 shocks without pulling my car to bits.

New shock is very close!

14092010508.jpg

Bottom eye needed to be made 14.1mm instead of 12.1mm, have done this.

Top stud is a bit smaller but I'm not too worried about that. Body of shock is also slightly slimmer, as is the shaft.

But this is all for looks. And these are looking about 4 inches shorter than stock 8)

Asap it is.

Gonna take tomorrow off and put original springs in, the ones in the pics are SW20 RSR rears, I think this is a bit much as is.

CIMG3056copy.jpg

CIMG3051copy.jpg

Put it down, thought "FUCK YEAH"

CIMG3061copy.jpg

CIMG3062copy.jpg

Doesn't touch!

Then I felt a bit like Homer Simpson when he decided to become obese... It was still on the jack!

CIMG3063copy.jpg

CIMG3064copy.jpg

Looks sweet in this pic though:

CIMG3065copy.jpg

Yeah so turns out it destroyed one of my tires on the spring perch. Bugger, glad I only paid $25 for them.

Solution for now = Keep mx5 shock, use mx5 spring perch. Went back to original springs, heated up bottom of spring to reduce diameter so it locates on the perch (was about 5mm too big)

The mx5 spring seat also sits about 20mm higher so I'll have no problems clearing the wheel. I actually checked the full range of motion and the clearance this time... :cat:

Put old tsw's back on the rear wearing a 235/40/17. Clears guard in similar fashion to the 215/45.

Height is just a smidge lower than before. Glad I was able to fix it for now atleast!

Will find some more 215/45/17's and then cutty cutty the spring as it's VERY captive right now, actually had to use my springs compressors to get it back on :twisted:

Ah to be rugged again.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to getting my skyline caliper + BA falcon rotor upgrade done.

Was super easy! One side gave me some trouble but the drivers side took about 20-30 minutes from dis assembly to new stuff being on and bled.

This is all bolt on and very popular conversion, the only things needing to made were some rings to locate the disk on the hub as the falcon rotor has a ~10mm larger centre bore.

Before:

06102010513copy.jpg

Hub with new ring installed (heated up and dropped on)

06102010514copy.jpg

06102010515copy.jpg

06102010516copy.jpg

06102010517copy.jpg

Comparison:

Comparison.jpg