JZX81 - Second wind

thegreatestben

Stroke of luck, sold my AW11. Found my old JZX81 Mark II for sale on trademe for a sharp price.

Picked it up last tuesday, cruised down in 5 hours averaging about 120 - 130km/h and making 550k's to a full tank. Pretty happy with that, car was faultless on the trip.

Bit sad in some ways since I parted with it, roof and bootlid paint is rooted, damn you toyota 90's paint jobs.

It was slammed when I sold it, since then someone has reinstalled working TEMS struts but they seem worn and it has a squeak coming from somewhere. BC do weld in coil over kits apparently :)

Came on 17x8's with 225/45/17 rears and something on the front's haven't bothered to look. Swapped the rears with 17x9's wrapped in 215/45/17. Looks a lot better, just need some tires for the front set.

11082010468.jpg

11082010467.jpg

11082010469.jpg

11082010473.jpg

Having a think about what I want to do, keen to re-engine. Not keen on turbo tbh.

Thought about 2jzge but wouldn't appeal in resale value.

Then thought about 1uzfe, would bring in the punters a bit more easily plus everyone likes V8's.

Hoping SW20 will sell soon so I can pour that cash into this.

Thoughts on Engine and gearbox options would be choice, could even import a package of some variety from japan if it were a viable option.

Already found a proper handbrake and centre console to ditch foot parking brake.

11082010475.jpg

Someone was also clever enough to fit a factory cd player

11082010474.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben are those nissan calipers a bolt on option?

because if they are not i would just roll with ( providing the hubs are the same as jzx90/100/110 items ) jza80 4 pots and offset nuts ( these are simple to make ) far better caliper, and can be had for cheap if you look in the right places

jza80 front disc's should also bolt in place, unsure on the x81 tho but on the x90/100 they do

or uzf30 ( i think i have that code right ) cailpers are another option

ITB'S and rad/sweet headers will rule the world

1jzitb.jpg

2jzitb.jpg

Hyup it's in auckland. I never got to hear it for myself :(

RE: jarred's q's.

Suspension is totally different to X90's and X100's. It's more like AE86 with stubs attached to bottom of strut i.e. gay.

Skyline 4 pots bolt straight on with falcon 300mm rotors which are CHEAP from work. Just need hub centric rings to suit the rotors larger centre hole.

1jz and trans is probably reasonably tired. It does seem a bit sluggish compared to when I last had it. Even my 7mge one stirred up better.

Having a think about what I want to do, keen to re-engine. Not keen on turbo tbh.

Thought about 2jzge but wouldn't appeal in resale value.

Then thought about 1uzfe, would bring in the punters a bit more easily plus everyone likes V8's.

I wouldn't bother with 1uz

Just manual you 1jz, get lsd, do decent suspension and break then worry about going fast :)

Then with all that done decide do I want 1uz, 1uz is great for a bit of power but to get really decent power you need to spend lots of $$$$

Where as jz motors make simlar power standard, but once you start playing with them a little bit they start to make great power for reasonable out lay very reliably

Just my thoughts

Bad ass that you got the nicer front, its a Mark2 correct?