Damiens skyscraper sigma.

DodgySam

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been through the drama of leaky widened wheels after blasting and painting. thought tubes would fix it, nearly stopped me getting to nats last year.

the easy fix was to find the pinhole with soapy water, whip the tyre off, there will probably be a divot/bit of welding porosity on the inside. i got a little drill bit and cleaned it out back to bare steel, then put some epoxy quick metal type stuff in the hole, bingo, no more leaks

i did the same with some kneadit stuff

never lost any pressure on that rim again

• 10 months later...

Have been mucking around with the suspension in this car.

Brought some Starion front springs to get compressed and slap in the front struts. They looked like they would fit the rears so gave it a try. Instant slammage! The arse was low but the front was high. Constant launching!

Walked up and down the isles at Pick a Part to find a car with similar springs.

Found a VW Golf that looked very close.....but shit knows how you get them struts out!

So a quick look on trademe found a complete set of VW Golf springs for $1.00 reserve. My kinda price! Ended up wining them for $1.50.

Put the front Golf springs in the Sigma struts to see how they sit. They were almost perfect but I decided to get them compressed by 50mm. Now the front was lower then the rear.

Found another set of Golf springs, again for $1.00 reserve. They were aftermarket lowering springs. Ended up winning them for $10.50. Chucked the front Golf springs in the rear of the Sigma and looks very good. Bumps need to be cut/replaced though.

Anyway, pics.

From this:

Sigmawagon3.jpg

To this:

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

It rides extremely smooth and comfortable. And its all done proper like (for once!) Big thanks to Wijnhoud for getting my struts shortened! Springs were compressed by Archers springs. $100 a pair.

Next - Wheels.

Discuss - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23546

hey mate what year vw golf? just brought one of these and want to lower it

cheers

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey mate, sick wagon! much jealousy.

Just a quick question. I have a 76 sigma and wanna know if you would know of what yr/make/model Springs or lowering Springs would fit in front and rear?? I'm having trouble finding any info onit. Cheers dude

Im not 100% on the suspension setups in the early Galant/Sigma chassis. I think up front will be similar to EX Lancer. The rear might be the same as 80's Sigmas.

For the front I would look at EX Lancer lowering springs (at a guess 4G11 powered Lancers)

For the rear im using standard Mk1 Mirage rear springs. Or look up lowering springs for EX Lancer (either model)