MrMcDoll's Diesel-Punk TA23 Celica

MrMcdoll

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it makes me happy that this thread is alive again :)

R crossmember swings the opposite way to T, some of the corona's ran the right one too so not hard to find. suppose that would mean doing steering again???

cheers

Matt 

Yeah I think at that point I had some strain on the engine hoist - which doesn't hold the engine up evenly cos all my strops are odd lengths!

It was pulling the back end up a bit more than it'll sit normally.

Still though, maybe more chopping is in order....

I would think about it, these are based on a Cheby right? so oil pump in in the back and then the pickup is where that notch is? so you may be able to drop that sump a tad more? Just seeing that monster converter there looks like the crankline is super high, I assume you have a auto? TH350 or some such?

Yeah, TH350.
So relocate pickup to scoot back the other way you reckon and then cut where the notch is/ put in some exhaust tubing to make a bigger notch?

I was gonna see about maybe chopping the whole bottom off the sump and seeing how low profile I can get away with, then just putting in some wings like a maxi-pad.

It's such a cunt moving that heavy bitch around by myself though! Need to go lift and eat some eggs or something!

Yeah, TH350.

So relocate pickup to scoot back the other way you reckon and then cut where the notch is/ put in some exhaust tubing to make a bigger notch?

I was gonna see about maybe chopping the whole bottom off the sump and seeing how low profile I can get away with, then just putting in some wings like a maxi-pad.

It's such a cunt moving that heavy bitch around by myself though! Need to go lift and eat some eggs or something!

Got a engine stand? chuck it on one and flip it and lets check out the oil pump? I am unsure if these are based on the olds rocket 350 or the chev 350? every division had there own 350 lol. I know olds were tasked with making diesels and I would assume they used there own architecture? anyway they both have a similar oil pump setup, some have a real big pickup so you may be able to move it around? but yea what you are suggesting sounds the go, anything that gets it lower is good. 

What did these things make power wise? its terrible aye, like 100hp?

Haha yeah bro - like a hundy tops!

Apparently the fuel consumption wasn't actually too bad. Though we're talking early eighties' idea of good efficiency!

I googled a shitload and found not a lot of info but according to some oldsmobile forums, the olds diesel oil pumps are slightly higher flowing than petrol but are essentially the same externally.

I'll see if I can find some different pickup tubes on ebay, otherwise i'ma just make one, can't be any worse than what I've already done to the poor car! 

Yea making pickups if you need to is sweet, just test that the welds don't leak, I have seen pickups last for years with rubber hose and hose clamps lol.

Any idea what year your engine is? I read that head studs are a massive weak point? especially if you wind more fuel in like you will want to (ARP do studs if you get rich) then same deal with rod and main bolts? basically they used the same gear as the petrol versions and it wasn't up to the task, they sort of fixed this the 80's versions I think. I remember googling these back when you got this and it was at E's work, not much info around accept hate haha.

haha. Yanks totally loathe them!
Mine is the crappier, earlier one.

I found this from some oldsmobile diesel wizard dude that probably lives up in the woods and brews moonshine:

Oldsmobile "D" blocks were built from 1978 through 1980 and had an external EGR.

1978 and 1979 D's used a flat tappet cam and had pencil injectors. 1980 D blocks got poppet injectors.

1981 to 1985 were the DX blocks and they had a roller lifter camshaft, poppet injectors and a internal EGR.

All truck diesel 350's used pencil injectors D and DX(because they put out more power)

I found a set of studs on Ebay too, they were like $100usd and i'm definitely gonna use them just in case someone has replaced the head gasket at some point and re-used old bolts, sometimes some parts do pop up on trademe as well, so money permitting, i'll hopefully rebuild the engine sometime before running it.

Worse comes to worst I'll just have to hope it doesn't blow up, and if it does, I'll know why the muricans hate these motors so much!

• 1 month later...