MrMcDoll's Diesel-Punk TA23 Celica

MrMcdoll

Nah plan is to make it 100% too legit to quit, so If my cert guy has a waah about no overlap, then i'll put a strip in behind each weld or something to that effect.

Plan is to leave a lot of the welds super visible with minimal flapper disc action (just enough to get rid of any sharp bits etc), external ones i'm not even going to flapper back at all.

I contacted a cert guy here in Hamilton a while back - mostly about steering and brakes etc, and he reckoned that as long as my welds were really strong that I could do whatever I wanted to when doing the rust repairs - he even recommended I chop the tunnel out of an old HQ or something and just weld the whole thing in! Hopefully he'll be sweet with what i've done (despite how crookedly I weld!) - i've definitely seen worse be certed!

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Sup, Haven't been down to the lockup to work on it at all in the last few months cos of being busy with Uni and sorting out a place to live etc.

Should be cracking back into it in a couple of weeks time though.

I've just been working on all the rust aye, there's still quite a bit left to do!

Only other hold up is fitting the engine in around the swaybar/steering rack and gathering money to get a diff and suspension.

I'll try get more photos of all the rust work i've done next time I head out to the lockup. It won't make for very exciting updates though!!

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Churr.

In terms of rust work, I only have to finish that window wiper cowl thing, and get new sills made up.
Then it's all on to putting the deez in there.

Taken so damn long, and in between work, uni and other shit, I really haven't got to the lockup to work on it over this last year!

I have missed this thread. It's great. Love it. Great idea and I too love upsetting purists.

I keep eyeing up cheap(ish) series 6 rx7s and think how much fun it would be to find a smallish TDi engine for one. FDTDi. Then post it up on aus rotary and rx7.com where they are all a bit too anal.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

can you just put a 5 mm packer in between the cross member and the chassis rail? like sandwiched in between the cross member and the car . that will that give you enough clearance on the sump?? the splines that go into the rack should have enough room to slide up that much. is that maybe a answer to your sump issues?

if not I would be cutting up the sump to fix the clearance issue, way less work then fucking with the firewall . easier to get another sump , much harder to get a new firewall hahaha