Pandemonium: 1985 Savanna RX-7 GT turbo "banana"

0R10N

Guess the next weak point will be the OEM HT leads themselves... they have a manufacture date of 1990 on them so have obviously been replaced at least once before, but are still 25 years old, hah.

So I ordered some new OEM HT leads ex Japan, imagine my surprise when they finally turned up and this was printed on them:

26419608523_dd8ff2cf97_c.jpg

Mazda must have changed suppliers in the last ~25 years, hah.

26417679414_27f14ac248_c.jpg

Mildly annoyed they are blue instead of factory orange (to match the turbo hat and radiator fan) but I guess beggars can't really be choosers.

One odd paradigm I noticed when swapping over was that the trailing leads have switched back from stud-type to solid tip terminals (thereby rendering this previous post completely academic). I'd had the foresight to order some more BR9EQ-14 plugs from Rockauto while they were US$1.18 each on clearance, so installed a pair of these with the solid tips now attached.

You can see the two new bright red coils at bottom left, hah.

26417679094_db5135b9ba_c.jpg

Now the car pulls to redline better and runs smoother than ever (probably the best it's ever been), and even started with no issues since it was last driven in January, so I'm somewhat happy.

26419608153_5ff4e09ac0_c.jpg

Discussion: http://oldschool.co....showtopic=27846

• Like 8

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 03/02/2022 at 14:19, ChrisJM said:

Hi Guys!  Does anyone know what happened to this car?  Does this owner still own it?  I just bought a Savanna GT over here in Australia, and would love to chat to him about it!

Hi Chris.

The guy still owns it, but he's no longer visiting this forum. I spoke to him on Facebook and got his email address, which I'll send to you in a private message. :)