Small ID Suspension Springs - Advice Please

mikuni

My Vectroid springs are something like the 2 in the top right of this picture

vic017xa9.jpg

They have small ID locating coils top and bottom, which makes it difficult to do too much with them. Read, I can't cut them :cry:

The car is going to be used on the track only. For this purpose I would like to have a play around with various spring rates.

The simplest solution is to get custom springs made up with a very small ID (around 30-50mm), a very short length (around 100mm) and a very high spring rate. I got a quote from the local spring maker today of $250, which seems fair, but high. Due to the fact that required spring rate is only guess work at this stage I would prefer another option.

I'm wondering if any cars come with a very small internal diameter suspension springs? I guess they don't even need to come from a car, providing the is suitable. I know Hondas have quite small diameter springs, but they are generally quite light too, so spring rate may not be suitable.

Failing this, my plan is to go to pick a part and just wander around until something looks like it has potential.

will 58mm id be ok?

Possibly, I've considered using a locator to centre them anyway, similar to when threaded coilover sleeves are used in the rear of live axle cars, if you know what I mean.

weld in a larger spring perch to take a more "standard" size spring?

Considered something similar to this, as mentioned above but the overall spring length is only about 80-100mm so I'd end up having a chode of a spring if I change the ID to 80mm or so. Wouldn't make it much easier to get hold of coils I don't think.

iv got 6 or 8 standard size coilover springs your welcome to try out, would be 2 different spring rates atleast between them

Potentially keen. Do you know approximate ID's and lengths?

I am talking about getting the id of the perch changed to a more standard coilover spring of 65mm id. I have a few sets of these springs and they can be had for pretty cheap off trademe. They are generally a flat ground spring but with the correct shaped perch they could be quite easily cut to fuck about with lengths and rates. Would just require a few calcs to get shit correct

I am talking about getting the id of the perch changed to a more standard coilover spring of 65mm id. I have a few sets of these springs and they can be had for pretty cheap off trademe. They are generally a flat ground spring but with the correct shaped perch they could be quite easily cut to fuck about with lengths and rates. Would just require a few calcs to get shit correct

True true. It's not a bad option. I thought you were meaning a conventional road car spring.

The other thing I am looking at is getting a "coil over kit" like below and putting that in place. This will allow me to have some hieght adjustment and potentially preload adjustment of the springs. I have adjustable rate HKS shocks for the rear that will hold a small spring captive and I was thinking of using nylon (or similar) spun up locators to hold the sleeve central. The only problem with this solution is that I can't find a coil over kit locally that has a spring as short as the one pictured below.

http://www.carreracustomprod.com/images/saturn1.jpg

That spring looks to be about 150mm long?

Standard coil over springs come in 65id at 200mm long... So how about getting a set of second hand coilover springs, cutting them in half and then throwing them on a spring dyno to work out the rate? For the rear of a FWD you could start with a 350lb spring or similar and chop it down for a harder rear end, or get a hard set and compress them. There are basic calculations you can do to work out the rough measurement of the rates too.

Ask UJ?

dsc02021r.jpg

^ awesome, cheers Markku. PM sent to uncle.

Those coil overs you bought not work in the rear?

The springs are huge, probably about 300mm long. I was going to cut them but I'd probably regret it because they are already a firm rate and I might be able to swap them over with the other fronts, giving me options there.

The shocks seem about the right length for the rear though. Haven't thrown them in yet but are 36 way adjustable HKS items, so should give me a bit of scope for adjustment, once I get a pair of coils sorted.

Yea im meaning strengthen the strut tower and forget about the shitty factory location? If your getting a cage the guy will tie it into the strut towers for minimal effort? Or is something stopping this happening? Didn't we talk about this the other night?

If your getting a cage the guy will tie it into the strut towers for minimal effort? Or is something stopping this happening?

Yes, thousands of dollars and time. I need something now and just replacing coils with similar items for $100-200 seems like the best option. Plus I told you the other night when we were yarning that space does not allow for this due to the spring diameter of having a coil over shock in there. I would need to cut the existing shock turrets out, move the pin on the beam and basically rear engineer the whole rear end. I'll probably do it, but just not now.

Got a quote from Cardwells of $513 for 2 springs :lol: Holy fook! Thats including $150 freight. I will continue looking :(

This is a job for Rusty.

Speedway guys use the small I/D springs. Someone will want to get rid of something if you can find a way through their pitbulls and Woodstock to talk to someone

I've found a few solutions. I got a quote of $200 for a pair of custom springs from Cobra, which isn't too bad.

Also got another quote from speed.co.nz of $100 less than Cardwells for the same thing, so thats not too bad.

I'll have a look at stocks now and see how that goes.

Will also probably start a project thread once I actually achieve something.