Isuzu bighorn V6 engine in Gemini

R100

Ive searched the interweb high and low for info on this swap, they talk about doing it in ozzy but its not legal for a street car as 2.5 liters is as big as they can go in a Gem.

I was contemplating a 1JZ with 6 throttles for my gem but now im thinking a 3.2 isuzu quad cam V6 would be better as its keeping it all isuzu. Not to mention nearly 200hp.

Any info on this conversion would be awsumness. Surely someone on here can help.

Thanks

Pictures below of the V6

picture%5C211255111142.JPG

I'm unfamiliar with anyone having done this conversion before, but..

My suggestion is to try and find a pick-a-part or even a commercial wreckers and see if the sump looks in the right spot and to see what the mounts look like. Sure its easy stuff to change, but if it all lines up already it will make for a very straight forward swap.

The G200Z engine from the Rodeo goes in to Gemini's alright, so another option is to check and see if the chassis is the same between the model with the 4 cylinder and that with the 6 cyl, because that would also suggest the v6 would slot in with relative ease.

Only other thing to check from there would be a straight measure up because quad cams are wide, especially if they are 90 degree. If they are narrower angle than 90 degree they are usually tall and the intake on that doesn't look very low. Geminis (and Chevettes more so) don't have a lot of clearance from crossmember to bonnet, so that would physically limit what can be put in, without too much hacking of parts that shouldn't need to be hacked.

Pickapart Mangere appears to have a Bighorn with a 3.2l in it. Did the diesel come 3.2l as well or was it just the 3.1? They could have it wrong also, which is always a bastard if you make a special trip for something thats not what they say it is.

http://pickapart.co.nz/stock.asp?yid=2

While I'm here, I might as well suggest the engine that I immediately regretted not using after I built my car. I believe it uses the same mounts and the sump gasket is the same, which suggests I could have used my mounts and sump to bolt it into my car. The gearbox bellhousing pattern is also the same as my 2litre Opel engine, so I could have even used the same box. In theory I could bolt a V6 into my Chevette now, but no doubt there would be a few niggles to iron out. I have seen a few of these engines used in Kadetts over in the UK and Europe.

It is a quad cam 54 degree V6 that can be found in Vectras in 2.5l form and Omegas in 2.5 and 3l capacities. They make up to 200hp in standard form.

afb006tr5.jpg

This one is from an Omega - they have a different air intake, which might be a squeze in a Gemini/Chevette. It is probably the 3l version.

The Vectra intake is lower and might be more suitable for a Gemini/Chevette conversion..

53039_3mg.jpg

..but then 6 throttles would be more suitable!

V06.jpg

Jenvey throttles made for the earlier Opel V6

Just thought I'd throw that out there..

I used to have one of those engines in my 1998 Holden Commodore. Was a real oddball of an engine to find in a holden. Ive also seen them at pick a part in FWD cars. Definatly worth consideration. Off to pick a part now with my camera and a tool box.

yeah surely it wasn't a factory fitted one? there was a small run of VS 'Holden Royales' which were a shipment from Singapore and they had the 2.6 straight 6 'dual ram' 12V engine fitted, and then the Opel Omegas which the VT was based on had the 2.5 or 3.0 quad cam V6s.

yeah surely it wasn't a factory fitted one? there was a small run of VS 'Holden Royales' which were a shipment from Singapore and they had the 2.6 straight 6 'dual ram' 12V engine fitted, and then the Opel Omegas which the VT was based on had the 2.5 or 3.0 quad cam V6s.

If wiki is to be believed it looks like a similar thing happened with the the VS Commodore, a special order fuck out that ended up being sold in the NZ market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Royale

Would certainly be a surprise to lift the bonnet on a VS Commodore to find a little Opel V6 in there.

Back to my original post. After a trip to pick a part today ive found that the isuzu 3.2 V6 has an engine wiring loom thats part of the main wiring loom that runs through out the engine bay. Because it is not a seperate loom that can easily be removed ive put the conversion in the too hard basket. Have been down this route befor when i fitted an MX5 engine to my 323 RWD wagon. Splicing the engine loom out of the main wiring loom that runs the rest of the car is a head ache. Would be easier to go with an aftermarket ECU.

Yeah I need to look at possible engine conversion for my 190e.

The car itself is going really well, the engine is not doing that great.

I have been offered a v6 and manual gearbox out of a VN commodore and know that this conversion has been done before.

Anyone seen this or know more info on it?

Lol refined german piece of excellent engineering?

This model that I own is known to give out after 200ks no matter how well looked after they are.

Of course I could do a rebuild on it with the newer stuff, but I would still have a gutless wonder at the end of the day

Have been down this route befor when i fitted an MX5 engine to my 323 RWD wagon.

explain more with photos??

Was a long time ago, i only have engine pictures of a 2door hatch i put a MX5 engine in aswell.

But thats another story...

webmx5-013.jpg

webmx5-014.jpg