Supertrapp Muffler, Yay or Nay?

DB8-TypeR

that "heap of shit" in cams pic is running a fuckin angry 13b bridgeport and is actually a sick car (apart from terrible wheels and general ruggedness)

Also as stated less plates = less noise as it gives less room for gas to escape between the discs.

Downside with supertrapps is they are no good if your car pops big backfires alot, and they are illegal unless you weld the cap screws so you cant alter the plates.

I don't see why they would be illegal, if they catch you running it loud as fuck you get pinged. if your running it quiet enough its not a problem. It's just one of those bullshit rumours.

If you want one go for it, I would guess you will probably need 1 or 2 other resonators/mufflers in the system to make it quite enough to be legal maybe.

It's just one of those bullshit rumours.

:rolleyes: No its not a bullshit rumour its common knowledge adjustable systems are illegal and have been for some time. Its classed the same as a varex muffler.

An yea cam need the end plate on there for it to work properly, they look like balls without the end plate wanyway imo

its not like it's a valve to an open pipe that you can change on the fly. you have to get out and unbolt the shit or whatever to change the number of discs. I could only see total pricks of wof guys giving a shit about it if it was quiet enough when you rocked up. same goes for the police, if the guy knew what a supertrap was then it's pretty unlikely he would ping you if you had not given him some other reason to want to do you in for something.

If you have to stop and get out then any exhaust is adjustable in less than two minutes with a 1mm cutoff wheel

aaahhhhh, so , it's quieter with less plates, as long as you have the END PLATE on there.

that's the bit I was struggling with. i was like, how can it be quiet with nothing on there. but I didn't factor in the end plate.

yea always have to have the end plate

the end of them is flared so more plates spaces the rear plate (as opposed to the discs) further back allow effectively making the end opening to be larger as well as allowing gas to escaped between the plates , the less plates you have in there the closer down the end plate is and thus the narrower the exit of the exhuast is

its not like it's a valve to an open pipe that you can change on the fly. you have to get out and unbolt the shit or whatever to change the number of discs. I could only see total pricks of wof guys giving a shit about it if it was quiet enough when you rocked up. same goes for the police.

If you have to stop and get out then any exhaust is adjustable in less than two minutes with a 1mm cutoff wheel

If you want to argue go do it with vtnz/ltsa.

And if you want to cut the end off your exhaust on the side of the road then have fun, be sure to charge the battery in the Makita before you leave home so you can do your springs aswell.

Bottom line is they are illegal, and whether you believe it or not they are the same as varexs and silencers and MUST be welded in place so they cannot be adjusted after testing/wofs.

I have never had any issues with cars that have bolt in silencers (mrs' car has a fart cannon I haven't yet replaced from when we bought it). Guess it depends on your wof man, and their interpretation of the rules. IIRC it reads something like 'cannot easily be adjusted' or some shit. The fact its bolted in mean it requires a tool to remove it, hence not easily adjusted.

I only got it one wof with the silencer in as it was starting to rust so decided to leave it out. Getting wof's with just the fart cannon have been fine, and my mechanic says its sweet legally, but he's a family friend so I don't know if he actually bothered to measure the dBA (I doubt it). Just don't drive it like a dick and you should be sweet, works for the mrs, that said it drones too much for my liking and muffler/fart cannon will be replaced as funds allow.

If you want to argue go do it with vtnz/ltsa.

And if you want to cut the end off your exhaust on the side of the road then have fun, be sure to charge the battery in the Makita before you leave home so you can do your springs aswell.

Bottom line is they are illegal, and whether you believe it or not they are the same as varexs and silencers and MUST be welded in place so they cannot be adjusted after testing/wofs.

Check the cert thread.

If it needs hand tools to be adjusted, it's legal. Varex's are illegal because they can be adjusted from inside the cabin, ie: drive around making heaps of noise, get pulled over and close it right down then say "no way officer, it's quiet as, see. It must've been some other car making all that noise."

Your not exactly going to be able to jump out and fiddle with your supertrapp without the cop noticing!

You could just as easily have a flange infront of the muffler and swap it for wof's - even standard cars have a flange or two somewhere along the line.