LVVTA tyre size to rim size compatibility sheet

0R10N

most of you guys WILL NOT have any problems with this shit though. remember how they brought out that thing that said you weren't allowed anything but a 'stock exhaust' a few years ago? they don't enforce that shit.

as long as you're not OTT then you WON'T get any more grief than you already do. don't roll with stupid stretch (it looks stupid anyway. how can you not say this looks ridiculous http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q144 ... lkjlkj.jpg ) and you likely wont get any grief whatsoever. I'm down with some light stretch but in reality rolling with 185 supercats on an 8" rim looks like shit.

kinda makes me think of cunts that are constantly being pulled over for loud exhausts/tints/anything and get smoked by the cops with pink stickers for mild slam etc. I just drove past a few cops in my citroen that looks like it got shat out of a swamp years ago, whilst on bumps, and they just grinned at me. usually you get targeted because you're a goat, not just for the aesthetics you go for.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loud exhausts are a pain in the ass to everyone.

Stretched tyres are hurting no one and not dangerous.

It's just another stupid law to give cops something else to look for on the road side.

Seriously, where are the statistics that show stretch is a contributing factor to road accidents / deaths etc.

They should go and catch a rapist or something instead of hassling road users with bullshit laws...

[/rant]

Asked a friend who works at tyre shop if he's ever seen or heard of stretch being a safety problem, he said no.

Under inflated tyres are a more common and dangerous situation.

Meh, i'll just drive the disco everywhere instead.

How long have you been aware of / been following this table?

As far as I have heard this issue has only come up recently,

Also it says it is merely a guide to help assist certifiers in determining the correct tyre fitment, so if they were to certify a car not within those guidelines would it be okay?

ive seen a few tyres with damaged inner sidewalls from being stretched on the rim + with a bit of camber........usually 17s or 18s, they get bubbles in the sidewall from the belts starting to shit themselves

Is that because the sidewall profile for those 17" tyres would have been rather small?

If you have more sidewall it gives room for stretch in the sidewall while still being semi flexible.

Do you really want to put circa 500kg on piece of rubber wrapped around a smooth piece of alloy or steel and trust your life to it? I don't.

Lol?

All you really said is that you think it's dangerous, am yet to see a streched tyre fail simply because it is stretched.

And is Fred really this much of a douche bag in real life? I know he went to a meet recently can anyone tell me? I mean, seeing as he is too cool to check back on this thread, bishes to slam or something like that. Sure bro sure

Do you really want to put circa 500kg on piece of rubber wrapped around a smooth piece of alloy or steel and trust your life to it? I don't.

Lol?

All you really said is that you think it's dangerous, am yet to see a streched tyre fail simply because it is stretched.

And is Fred really this much of a douche bag in real life? I know he went to a meet recently can anyone tell me? I mean, seeing as he is too cool to check back on this thread, bishes to slam or something like that. Sure bro sure

Nah Met him IRL, Hes a GC.

He's just trying to save our lives.

He's right about the stretch thing with all the stresses on the sidewalls.

But stretched tyres come off the rim just as much as normal tyres do.

When either is not inflated to the correct pressure, it will come off the rim.

What I'm pissed of at is I can't run the fitment I want on a shitty old corona that wont ever be driver aggressively on the road. It will be too low. Its got no power so too hard to do a burn out.

I would be against putting large diameter, huge stretched tyres with minimal side wall on a turbo subaru. Thats asking for trouble.

But a 14" with a decent amount of sidewall with some stretch on a shitty car that is going to cruise everywhere is perfectly safe!

BTW.. I'm not disagreeing with certain other things.

I do think having a law for it is gay.

I agree that low pressure is worse.

I agree that excess loading is worse (i've delaminated tyres with excess loads on my ute before)

I agree that there is no harm in a mild stretch with a high sidewall as stated with 14 inch example

I probably agree with other things, too...

But whinging a lot about the above list is contradictory to common sense with respect to good engineering. That is all, really :-)

Thanks for the GC vouch, too :-)

Fred.

BTW.. I'm not disagreeing with certain other things.....

I thought you had wasted enough time on this thread? :wink:

Also, you say that stretched tyres remove the flex out of the sidewall (fair enough) and how that is dangerous. Semi-slicks are fully legal yet they have much more rigid side walls than a normal car trye. Food for thought...

BTW.. I'm not disagreeing with certain other things.....

I thought you had wasted enough time on this thread? :wink:

I was getting called a douche bag, so I thought I had better clear up my stance.

Also, you say that stretched tyres remove the flex out of the sidewall (fair enough) and how that is dangerous. Semi-slicks are fully legal yet they have much more rigid side walls than a normal car trye. Food for thought...

Key point, "more rigid". When you get down to a severe stretch you have no flex in them anymore, you simply have the tensile strength of the rubber and reinforcing and it's spring constant. This is infinitely stiffer than a stiff semi slick wall which is still flexible even though it is stiffer, so it doesn't do the same thing at all.

I was thinking of linking this to you, do your 205 on 8" qualify or not?

Fred.

I was thinking of linking this to you, do your 205 on 8" qualify or not?

No they dont :x

So add me to the list of people who have designed a car around a specific wheel & tyre combo only to have this rule come in to place and fuck everything up.

My semi slicks are not even remotely stretched so I'm hoping that the cert dude doesn't make a big deal out of it. As someone said above, the sheet says it is a guideline, not a set-in-stone rule. I should probably call the certifier and check soonish regardless.

hmm I see the document has generated a bit of healthy discussion, which is good I suppose. Not a huge fan of stretch myself but don't go out of my way to hate it like some folks do.

I suppose it serves as a guideline both to LVV certifiers AND compliance shops as well. when my DR30 sedan came into NZ back in '06 and went into compliance it got pinged straightaway on two things: chopped springs, and 'excessive' stretch on the rears. 195s on 8" rims was a big no-no back then and I suppose it still is four years later, the key difference between then and now is that back then all the silly trends had yet to trickle their way down to this part of the world.

and yes there is still a big obvious black hole concerning cars that roll around on stretched tyres without certs but you'd assume that if cops are stepping up their enforcement of said guidelines much like what the LVV certifiers are meant to be doing now, there will be less and less of them around eventually.

Also, I was looking at some slick tyres recently for my track car, and realized that it would probably make a hell of a lot more sense if the rules were based around the actual width of the tyre rather than the section width. Meh :doubt:

OK, WTF!!??? I carefully wrote an accurate technical description of why it's a problem and that is gone too, that is fucking out of line. Why would you remove good purely technical material from a technical section long after multiple people have responded to it and read it????? Someone out on a power trip? Someone having some PMS???? Someone just *trying* to wind me up? Fucking fail. If zep gives a shit aboout this site, he'll do something about this, poor form whoever did the "clean up". Pull your head OUT of your arse before it's too late.

Fred.

i deleted it.

the reason i deleted it is because, as with everything you post on the internet, you presented you "opinion" as a "fact".

your opinion is worth exactly the same as everyones else's, nothing more. you dont know, nor are you a tyre manufacturer. all you have is an opinion, yet somehow you seem to think that you have some god give right to tell anyone that doesn't agree with everything you say that they are wrong.

they are no more or less right than you are. granted, some people have stupid ideas that genuinely are dangerous.

and then there are the people who think that they need to keep talking until everyone agrees with them or they get sick of it and leave the forum.

i would far rather have to deal with the idiots than the self proclaimed oracle's of the internet, of which you are one.

you've been back on this forum for a very short time and you've already started causing shit fights trying to tell the world how you think it should be.

im sick of trying to pick out the good bits from the mountains of shit you post so im just going to delete everything.

and any threads, like this one, that start getting out of hand will be locked. then everyone looses out because of you.

sheepers.