"fixing" leaky head gasket with Irontite sealer

Thousand Dollar Supercar

It seems my Rover SD1 2600's cooling system is being force-fed air, hopefully through a head gasket leak into the water jacket. I get bubbles in the radiator when I run the engine.

Mechanics suggested I use Irontite or similar in the cooling system as a cheap way of keeping the car usable. The website says it works, see?

http://www.irontite.com/faq.html#Will_Irontite_Sealant_Products

""Will Irontite Sealant Products fix a head gasket leak?

YES. Either the Ceramic Seal or the All-Weather Seal will repair minor head gasket leaks. "

Has anyone tried it? Is it dodgy as, and will it just fail then block my heater and make my cooling system inefficient forever after?

I didn't nana the Range Rover at all. I towed race cars all over the NI with it.

With these snake oils they will either work or they won't. There is no middle ground, no good improvement. It either temporarily solves the problem or just simply doesn't work.

You don't have much to loose IMHO - but perhaps the issue is much worse than a BHG and a liner has shifted etc.

Try http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 247053.htm (SEALWEL cooling system sealant, cleaner, lubricant, http://www.autoagencies.co.nz/aasealwel.html)

Used them alot and it doesn't wreck the radiator like bars leaks type stuff can.

I bought this SealWel stuff, tried it this evening and it didn't work. Unless it's one of those Rachael Hunter "won't happen overnight" type deals. :(

I will start driving the Rover from now till Thursday (had been using the Alfa) incase I get lucky.

Add more. Cut it up real good I shave it down to small bits.

I have had some amazing results in the past but it can't fix the impossible, those 2600 Rovers shit blocks and all. I put about 5 in a bulldozer radiator once, it managed to clear the skifield rd for another year before needing repair.

Have used Irontite with a skeptical view - used it on a builder mates van exactly as per instructions (time consuming :doubt: )

Worked a treat within minutes :shock: He used his van daily for another 3-4 months till it blew again. Good for a quick fix if you don't have time or money "right now" to fix it, but start saving those pennies for the headjob cos you will need it quite soon and when it does it generally is with zero warning..

Hmm.. Sounds like maybe I should pull the engine apart first, before I buy a gasket set, incase the motor's scrap for some reason. And if it's just a gasket failure, I should go out and buy a Lotto ticket..

Again I'm faced with the need to render a car immobile for a long period, but I'm flatting and the home owner might say

large_Clint-Eastwood-453.jpg

"Get (your car) off my lawn!"