Coils

NewGuy

Just a quick question about coils.

I just replaced my so called 12volt coil in the car along with all the other ignition bits.

I brought a Bosch GT40R off trade me, so i had to get a ballast resistor to run with it.

So anyways with the old coil in but all the other new ignition parts it would drive and rev sweet but if i lost traction and over revved it

it would then ping under load.

Now with the new coil with nothing else changed you can do what ever you want and it never pings, would it have made that bigger of a difference not having the ballast resistor to keep the running voltage at 12Volts on the old coil?

Cheers Stew

Just a quick question about coils.

I just replaced my so called 12volt coil in the car along with all the other ignition bits.

I brought a Bosch GT40R off trade me, so i had to get a ballast resistor to run with it.

So anyways with the old coil in but all the other new ignition parts it would drive and rev sweet but if i lost traction and over revved it

it would then ping under load.

Now with the new coil with nothing else changed you can do what ever you want and it never pings, would it have made that bigger of a difference not having the ballast resistor to keep the running voltage at 12Volts on the old coil?

Cheers Stew

your question is mildly confusing

however your old coil was robably .. well old perhaps? and the coils inside started breaking down .. and at high revs could have been ...no they couldnt .

high revs as in valve bounce ??

old coil was fucked ... prolly find your blowing out spark .. or you replaced a fucked coil lead when you changed the coil at the same time

ballist isnt to keep it at 12v there a voltage reducer .. not a stabliser

perhaps your old coil was suppost to have a rsister as well.. and the long term overvoltage is what cooked it and killed it

Heres my experience so not sure if its the same as your car....

My old ignition was points and at idle would get good voltage but as the revs would rise the voltage would drop from memory to around 6-7volts and the spark would drop off accordingly. What I think you have done is replaced your old coil with a stronger sparking coil.

From what I remember generally pinging is because your fuel is low in RON value or your timing is out or you have high compression using low RON or as mentioned the spark.

I upgraded to HEI ignition and found the same voltage was happening so ran another wire to my coil to boost the coil to 13.8 volts at all revs and found the plugs ran cleaner and I stopped fouling them.

Hope this helps