Yoeddynz's 1985 Hino N0915 housetruck build.

yoeddynz

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, this is awesome, good job. I have a question that I hope someone can answer. Is certification required when modifying a truck like this? Ltsa gave me an obscure answer to this question and vtnz said depending on the number of births, (not babies but beds) seat belts are required for the number of births. Surely there is more to this than that? Help

Rod

Hey @Roders here's the discussion thread for the housetruck.

You asked ...  " Is certification required when modifying a truck like this? Ltsa gave me an obscure answer to this question and vtnz said depending on the number of births, (not babies but beds) seat belts are required for the number of births. Surely there is more to this than that? "

If you build onto the deck or what ever happens to be bolted to the chassis as a load, then no certification is needed. Its just a load. I was told by vtnz in Blenheim when we built a previous house truck that we could make the house out of balsa wood and cardboard or what ever...its just a load. Wouldn't be strong but... 

So long as the truck remains within the size constraints for heavy vehicles and any windows fitted are either toughened glass or have lexan (not perspex) covering the outside of them (shutters will do as well) then its all good.

However- if you cut into the cab to create access into the house then things get more complicated. Firstly -You need a body cert for the modification to the cab.  Then you'll need certified seatbelts and seat mountings in the back.  You'll also need to cover the inside of any non- toughened glass window with lexan.

My advice- dont go there unless you have to. Just leave the cab alone. You'll only need seatbelts for the amount of seats in the cab. Dont drive with people in the back. Obviously this is easy if its just two of you. If there's more then yeah... certified seat belts, and seat mountings,  in the back will be needed. Its easy and I have done quite a few installs in vans, buses, trucks now. Just follow the rules. But it does get expensive!

alex

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Question time. We have some friends local to us who are keen on buying the house part of our housetruck. This suits us and them because they dont need the truck and we want to keep the truck so we can build another house that better suits the location its parked in.

So the basic plan would be something like this. I add some removable legs to the underside of the deck. We trundle the truck to their property, park it on the spot they intend to have it,  unbolt and jack the body up and then drive the truck away.

Go for a hoon, do some skids and make the most of the now lightweight racetruck.

My questions are...

Can we take the truck for a COF without a deck ? I presume we can but imagine things like the rear wheels having covers are needed?

We would plan to build a new deck and then the next house is removable off the deck thus allowing us to take the truck for hoons/use it to take the rubbish bag to the end of the drive/go do the weekly shop etc. What is the deal with building your own deck. I'm aware that rope rails etc have to be certified. But what of a simple deck without them?

Quite excited about prospect of new house build but not going to count our kittens until they have hatched. Need to settle on a price etc that suits us all so its not a given. But knowing what we can and cant do with respects to building a deck etc so we can factor it in.

Oh and also- its currently registered as a motorhome. This would now mean fitting seatbelts for next cof  (not hard because there's most of the mounts in there and I can add the rest if need be. I have done loads of certed seat mounts in vans/trucks but the cert cost is pretty steep even through the fella I use)

If we change the rego back to being a truck is there any benefit? I can't remember exactly the reason we had changed it to motorhome way back then. Possibly it was cheaper rego/rucs?

• Like 2

Truck with no house  is commercial and needs transport service licence and more $ That’s why so many horsey trucks have bed table and cooker to meet mobile home reg 

don’t think you can cof as cab/ chassis even with mudguards and taillights as the deck and tie down points is all part of the inspection 

mate here has one as builders truck and house comes off on screw jacks (big acme threads) with air ratchet for speed - lowers house porch to ground level when parked - has always been on tsl and the deck under the house is certified and rated tiedowns - house is a load 

maybe farm reg loophole for roaming around ? Will still need a deck and cof 

rucs are same regardless of class reg is cheaper not much it’s the tsl cost and logbook bullshit 

• Like 2

Just now, Transom said:

Truck....

(stuff)

...bullshit 

Sweet Steve- good info right there! Cheers very muchly :-)  So yeah.. I think we will just have to build a deck and get it certed.  Costs for deck cert I have no idea ? so I'll have to look into that. Its all part of the equations we need to suss out so we can set on a price.

We are keen on keeping this truck because we know it well, its solid as and had a full engine rebuild to the tune of 10k by TSN in Nelson. Its a good truck. Plus getting a similar 5m wheelbase truck, on the road  aint that cheap. It seems that even old trucks hold their prices if in usable good condition.

• Like 1

yeah but we have no intention on ever building a 'real' house.  Most likely always going to live in a housetruck because we just like it. So idea is to build a different styled house to suit this location. Truck will be turned around this time so the back end will be facing north and get the all day sun. Open plan living at that north end with a full slide round wall to open it up.  The west facing side will slide out almost the full length by 2 metres so making for a 4.5m width most of the way down.

Its gonna be a fun build and I'm bloody excited.

I reckon I probably can get an exemption from having to get a certificate of law and knowledge because the truck will really only be used for very occasional use.

• Like 1

Lance Hope is localish to you doing Heavy Vehicle certification but I think he can be a bit difficult, he is in redwood valley.

The guy we used to use most was Dave Plum. If you can get hold of him he is good for a yarn.

image.png.790fb4e3623db9fd160000c389a43179.png

I think the other guys on this list are certified fabricators, not certifiers. 

• Like 1