fuel's 1982 Galant GT

fuel

** Discussion here - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21647 **

so most of you guys know I just got this, but thought I would throw up a project thread

just some pics I've taken so far today after picking it up

DSCF2294.jpg

DSCF2295.jpg

DSCF2296.jpg

DSCF2298.jpg

DSCF2301.jpg

DSCF2307.jpg

DSCF2308.jpg

Being a Galant GT its a bit lower spec than my Eterna, it has wind up windows and manual steering, but as its newer it has VELNAS trip computer and a rear wiper which my Eterna missed out on.

Still the same car underneath it all, except a while ago the injection system packed up on the previous owners so their mechanic made it carb instead, but with the bits left over from my Eterna I'll revert it to Churbro in no time.

My plans are to pretty much keep it as is, perhaps tidy it up a little and just roll it as a daily driver as I miss driving my Eterna. Maybe when I finish my Eterna (haha) I'll do something to this like maybe the DOHC conversion I was originally going to do to the Eterna, or even just keep the single cammer and make it more livable with multi point injection and an early Evo turbo + intercooler etc.

Will have moar pics over the week as I continue on my way up north.

ok so some more pics

after queenstown I went to invercarrrrrgil to see ky (thanks for the hospitality!),

DSCF2319.jpg

and then went down to bluff

DSCF2312.jpg

DSCF2313.jpg

saw a sweet tractor

DSCF2315.jpg

next day headed up north, ran out of gas in Balclutha as the fuel gauge is inaccurate and the fuel light didn't come on! but saw a trabant!

DSCF2322.jpg

that night crashed at riverside in chch, cheers rob and zeb!

DSCF2323.jpg

DSCF2326.jpg

then next day headed up further north to nelson, stopped in kaikoura on the way

DSCF2328.jpg

DSCF2331.jpg

DSCF2332.jpg

in picton

DSCF2334.jpg

the interislander I went on

DSCF2335.jpg

I'm on a boat!

DSCF2338.jpg

good bye south island!

DSCF2342.jpg

in wellington, outside UJ's lockup

DSCF2352.jpg

and then I made it home

DSCF2355.jpg

anyway.. those are the pics of the trip, here's more of the car itself

DSCF2385.jpg

As it's a 'GT' model, it's meant to be the lesser spec'd lightweight version, pretty much what 'RS' is today.

It has a more baron interior with vinyl door cards, wind up windows, no cool door open/headlight on/over 100kmh warning noises like the Eterna has.

DSCF2393.jpg

DSCF2388.jpg

DSCF2387.jpg

But as its a later model than the Eterna it has other stuff the Eterna missed out on like VELNAS trip computer and a rear wiper

DSCF2389.jpg

DSCF2392.jpg

DSCF2394.jpg

the body is pretty straight and quite rust free and the paint is a little dull but can easily be polished up which is what I'm hoping to do in the next few days

DSCF2386.jpg

only real body issue is this damage to the front valance/grill and bumper

DSCF2395.jpg

I've bought this as a parts car and will be picking it up shortly

118448576_full.jpg

which I'm going to swap over the chrome bumpers over from

118448650_full.jpg

and possibly the facelifted headlamps/grille, your thoughts on this?

119446943_full.jpg

here's the crappy carb conversion, hope to change back to turbo soon

DSCF2384.jpg

that's it for now, discuss - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21647

• 1 month later...

so I was alerted to an auction of a DASH engine for sale on trademe, put in a few bids and ended up getting it for cheaps.

123802695_full.jpg

123802510_full.jpg

Because it's a FWD Cyclone DASH engine it wont bolt to my gearbox complete, so I'm pretty much going to strip it down for the DASH parts, and use them to rebuild either the original engine from the Eterna (done 141,000kms) or the engine from the GT (done 163,000kms). The idea is I will still have an original engine left over to put back into either of them if I wish to return one to standard.

• 3 months later...

Ok so there's no way I can get the GT all running the DASH engine before a track day I'm attending beginning of next month, so instead I've decided to use the turbo gear from the GSR so it is at least somewhat fun to drive on the track, and then worry about the DASH engine later on.

So I got to work removing the carb gear which was just slapped on by a hick town mechanic

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

big oil leak from the fuel pump which had been trickling down the block for some time

IMG_0249.jpg

the carb junk

IMG_0250.jpg

after a bit of degreasing it turns out the starter motor is just about new

IMG_0254.jpg

ECI gear and TC06 turbo on

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

as the air con didn't work, I ripped it all out to make way for the intercooler setup from the GSR, it'll just sit between the radiator and the oil cooler, I may have to remake some piping to suit the slightly different location

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

more progress tomorrow.

ok so I got the intercooler and piping on, just need to mount the intercooler properly before whacking the front bumper on.

had a bit of a set back though, I went to crank it over and see if she would start and it was getting no fuel at all. I pulled the fuel pump out and it turns out the wiring to the pump had just been cut off and the banjo bolt on the outlet had been hacked up to fit the carby fuel hose over the end. I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new walbro 500hp external pump as the Eterna would need a new fuel pump anyway, and I could swap the pump from the Eterna to this at a later date.

Old pump

IMG_0278.jpg

New pump

IMG_0280.jpg

I'll do the fuel pump rewire with a new relay to help keep the voltage up.

intercoolering device jammed in there, just need to mount it properly.

IMG_0289.jpg

and starting to piece it back together

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Oh, and it starts and runs!

It initially would only start and run rough for a few seconds and then stall, and wouldn't rev beyond 600rpm no matter how much throttle you gave it. After fiddling around realising it got better as I advanced the dizzy timing I soon found I had the distributor one tooth out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

right so after the above trackday, the engine was decidedly sounding a bit sick - it's down on compression on one cylinder probably due to a cracked piston ring-land, and there were traces of milkyness in the oil too so maybe a bhg double whammy. Other than the block and head, it was pretty much the same setup as the Eterna before it was pulled off the road, perhaps this motor just didn't quite like the 16psi+ I was feeding it most the day like the Eternas motor did?

Anyway, I wasn't too worried because it was more or less just going to be a temporary motor as I am going to build up a DASH engine with the head from the FWD engine and the block bored out and crank from the current engine.

I received a package from Australia this morning, a fellow AUStarion member sent me over some used early 90s period HKS 0.5mm oversized forged pistons mounted on standard Starion rods with floating gudgeon pins and ARP rod bolts fitted.

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

So, over the next coming weeks I'll pull out the motor and tear it down and get building! In the meantime I'll try track down a TD05-16G turbo and modify the intercooler for larger and re-directed pipes + bigger piping.

Discuss - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21647

• 3 weeks later...

Now you see it

IMG_0665.jpg

Now you don't

IMG_0671.jpg

One of these things is not like the other - compression when cold was 160, 155, 30, 120 :shock:

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

I also found this, the balance shaft belt had actually snapped and was just about tangled up with the main cambelt

IMG_0673.jpg

And engine block stripped bare as it was sent off to the engine shop.

IMG_0676.jpg

Will be coming back bored out to suit the HKS oversized pistons, balanced rotating assembly, deck re-surfaced and balance shafts eliminated. Next step is to dismantle the DASH engine.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Right, so after about $1000 more than I had expected to pay, the engine came back from the engine shop.

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

Just waiting for a few more parts to arrive then will slap the DASH head on and get her back into the engine bay.

I can't seem to locate a DASH wiring loom or plugs for a DASH ECU to make my own loom, so in the meantime I'll use the stock ECU and throttlebody unit on the DASH inlet manifold and will be using a Jaycar frequency switch kitset to switch on the DASH solenoid at 2500rpm or thereabouts. Hopefully it'll work alright.

moar pics, pulled the DASH head off my donor engine

third valve arrangement -

IMG_2968.jpg

up close -

IMG_2973.jpg

there is an oil pump driven off a lobe on the end of the camshaft -

IMG_2976.jpg

which in turn sends oil through the 3rd valve solenoid which gets switched on at 2500rpm, and the plunger seen at the top gets pulled down and oil flow from the oil pump directed into the inlet side rocker shaft -

IMG_2977.jpg

where a plunger on the 3rd valve rocker arms pushes a locking pin in to actuate the valve, when the locking pin isn't engaged the rod touching the top of the valve stem just freely protrudes into the rocker arm housing -

IMG_2978.jpg

up close -

IMG_2981.jpg

Discuss bitches! //oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21647

• Like 1

engine's back in the hole! Gave the engine bay a bit of a clean up before hand too.

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

Unfortunately hit a bit of a snag, because I don't have a wiring loom for the DASH ECU and injection unit that I have, I opted to use the original injection unit - it bolted to the DASH inlet manifold fine but it overhangs a little bit and there happen to be vacuum passages exposed where it overhangs, so it's probably going to run like ass. Also the existing intercooler piping doesn't quite fit over the top of the rocker cover as the DASH injection unit is raised up because the DASH head is taller. Also as it's a FWD inlet manifold the thermostat housing is positioned in an awkward spot and all the coolant lines running off it are just pointing in the wrong direction so need to mock up some other piping to make it work.

I may try making up a wiring loom for the DASH ECU if I could find the correct plugs which go into the ECU, but chances are the injectors will leak as they've been sitting for so long and the DASH injectors are known for leaking anyway.

** DISCUSS - //oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21647 **

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Well it took a while, but the Galant GT is SOLDburgers. Got a good price for it too (over $4000 in the end, running the Eterna's original engine and including the coilovers but not the SSRs), so Jase I guess you could say I did get the full greatest hits album.

One last parting pic for the fred:

IMG_4380.jpg

• 4 years later...