Threeonthetree's Rover SD1 2600SE

Threeonthetree

I did consider the P38 4.6 engine. But I have spoken to a few Land Rover and Range Rover boffins and I have decided against it due to the cost of the engine, associated components and the simplicity of the earlier 3.5 and even 3.9/4.0 Injected variants. I think I'll just put a 3.5 twin carb version in there for now, just to get it running and driving and then decide what to replace it with later.

I do like the idea of a 3.5 with standard injection though. Would make it a very easy car to drive on a regular basis.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll still fix a couple of small issues on it and have a little list to work through:

- Drivers' window does not go up or down

- Trip computer is missing some buttons

- Horn inoperative

- No radio fitted to car (will find a suitably 1980s one)

- Replace gearbox oil

Drivers window - it's not an electrical issue. Something mechanical happens to jam the mechanism if the window is left at the top of its travel.

Trip computer - it's not measuring fuel flow, so none of the functions which require that info will work. Swap parts between your cars to figure this out before you scrap the cars and end up kicking yourself.

Horn - the air horns were working, even if it took a second for both tones to sound. I think the regular horns were present but not hooked up.

Radio - I put some random lousy speakers back into the front doors when I was removing my good ones, and there are short wires connected to these which reach to the footwells (not all the way to the radio area).

Gearbox oil - I changed it several times early in my ownership of the car, and I found out just how horrible the gearbox is when you put the originally recommended manual gearbox oil in. ATF was better, and it currently has some kind of fancy synthetic in I think, but that's been in there for several sedentary years. Basically don't put the regular manual stuff back in if you want to be able to engage gears. ;)

Yes, I've stripped the door and found that the regulator mechanism has broken a few teeth at the top of its travel. They jam and prevent it from going down so I have a good spare regulator here to install.

The trip computer is only going to be an aesthetic fix. Two of the buttons have lost their labels so I have another interface here with a full set of legible labels which I will fit into mine.

Horns don't work at all so I'll investigate. The radio will just be a basic one (pretty crap compared to the earlier audio you bestowed upon thy Rover) but as keeping in theme with the car, as long as it plays a bit of Genesis and Paul Young I'll be happy.

Gearbox is getting a bit notchy again so will check and see if it's clutch adjustment or if the oil needs replacing. I'm following Rpi Engineering and other UK Rover V8 experts' advice and replacing it with ATF as you've suggested.

• Like 1

hmmm thats unusual , they fitted two because at least one is missing , broken or stuck from new . so yours is unoriginal/modified ...... don't people usually fit toyota boxes ....... :-)

I had to fix mine hahahaha.

They break often and the drivers side one usually pops open and hits my shins when going over bumps.

knee to see what happens. If you do find a source for the deep chin spoiler in NZ, let me know, will be keen to get hold of one when i take on an SD1 next year.

In terms of the gearbox, Ramon has some damn good info on leaks and how to flush the manual boxes for maximum performance. http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/pages/Downloads/Rover_Tasters/Gearbox01.html

• Like 1

I know the where abouts of a factory twin plenum walkinshaw here in nz popped up on trademe a few years back. Ummed and ahh'd for a few minutes and it sold before i could get my shit together. Resides in my mates garage now if your after inspiration could tee up a meeting he most likely has those rare parts your after too.

I know the where abouts of a factory twin plenum walkinshaw here in nz popped up on trademe a few years back. Ummed and ahh'd for a few minutes and it sold before i could get my shit together. Resides in my mates garage now if your after inspiration could tee up a meeting he most likely has those rare parts your after too.

Keen.

Wouldn't mind having a yarn and perving at some SD1 goodness.

The Rover is on the backburner for a while as I sort a few more things on the Triumph, then WoF the Morris Minor.

Rover is 3rd in the queue, please hold etc..

• Like 1

i know where another twin plenum vitesse is, and i know what he wants for it dollar wise... sadly i could never do owning it the justice it deserves as its mint, so ill settle for a single plenum i can drive the tits off.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the p38 4.6 would be cheaper/easier/better than the old 4.4 these days ?

The 4.6 is certainly stronger than the 4.4, by all accounts British Leyland screwed up the stiffening when they designed the taller block for the 4.4 (Repco tried to make a F5000 from it, but gave up and went Holden instead). 

However, Leyland Australia at least had a common bellhousing to mate the V8 and E6 to the Borg Warner manual boxes (and Leykor in South Africa did the same when they fitted the R6 2.6 to their SDX, but that's another story).

• Like 1