Threeonthetree's Rover SD1 2600SE

Threeonthetree

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to source a V8 manual bellhousing, flywheel and the aforementioned small parts and in theory I should have everything I need.

This will be your greatest trick, cos I believe you need an SD1 V8 manual bellhousing etc. I think other Rovers with the same engine and gearbox used different bellhousings.

In my innocence, I expected exactly the opposite. Instead of a different bellhousing for every engine and for every different car featuring a given engine, I figured one bellhousing would be used to mate all Rover engines to the LT77 gearbox. Or at least all SD1 engines, because BL would have had the opportunity to design the new 6cyl motor with the same bolt pattern as the V8..

The bearded anorak weirdos on the SD1 forum burst my bubble (after they'd finished telling me to keep the car original).

You've been having no difficulty acquiring SD1s left right and centre so far though. The parts will turn up!

• Like 2

This will be your greatest trick, cos I believe you need an SD1 V8 manual bellhousing etc. I think other Rovers with the same engine and gearbox used different bellhousings.

In my innocence, I expected exactly the opposite. Instead of a different bellhousing for every engine and for every different car featuring a given engine, I figured one bellhousing would be used to mate all Rover engines to the LT77 gearbox. Or at least all SD1 engines, because BL would have had the opportunity to design the new 6cyl motor with the same bolt pattern as the V8..

The bearded anorak weirdos on the SD1 forum burst my bubble (after they'd finished telling me to keep the car original).

You've been having no difficulty acquiring SD1s left right and centre so far though. The parts will turn up!

Yes, this is the same as the Holdens that I have mucked around with for years. The bellhousing will be specific to either a six cylinder or a V8 engine, not both.

I have found a Landrover discovery manual flywheel but will do a bit more research to see if it will work with the starter motors on the earlier carburetted 3.5 versions as opposed to the injected 3.9 that it was originally fitted to. I have also found a 3.5 V8 to LT77 manual bellhousing but it comes with the LT77 gearbox and a Land Rover transfer case. Again, I'm not too sure on how it will fit if indeed it does at all but I'll continue researching it. You'll have to come and take it for a spin once the V8 is in! (which could be quite some time tbh).

So my Series Two has the standard equipment front lower bumper which looks like this:

IMG_3065_zpslywehuc9.jpg

But the Vitesse models came with an improved front lower bumper airdam and rear spoiler. I'd like to fit both to my car eventually and make it look like this:

Rover-title.JPG

I have a 3500SE badge to replace the 2600SE badge on the rear panel and will also replace the 2600SE badges on the front guards which should really make it look the part. 

I don't like the standard exhausts on these though so I'll run something with a much more aggressive sound and probably exiting the rear in a much straighter fashion.

• Like 1

Have you seen the three cars under ripped tarps on a drive way half way up Pakuranga Road? The one closest to the road looks to be a Vanden Plas Badged SDI. They've been there a long time, might be worth checking out.

Yes! I've driven past them numerous times but they haven't crossed my mind in the time that I've owned mine. Might be time for me to turn up in my SD1 and hopefully get some more information about them.

here are a pair of p76 v8's. I could pickup and store in new plymouth if you purchase

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/vintage-parts/engines/auction-988213166.htm

Cheers! I was looking at those. I would love to go down the P76 4.4 Litre engine route but I'm just worried about the cost. Many parts in the 4.4 litre version are specific to that engine and most P76 V8s seem to be in horrible condition and quite expensive. But if I can get them for a good deal then they're worth pulling down, inspecting and either rebuilding or putting under the bench for a rainy day.

• Like 2

...the Vitesse models came with an improved front lower bumper airdam

I've never been much of a fan of that.

It looks so simplistic and chunky that it could almost be home-made, and it sets you up for a different body width / ground clearance / profile of the side of the car which doesn't eventuate, because there are no side skirts etc. Just the standard black painted sills. So the look just stops dead after the front wheels..

Family_Favourite-AA-0004_420_280_84_int_

86rover-vitesse-004.jpg?w=547

I don't like the standard exhausts on these though so I'll run something with a much more aggressive sound and probably exiting the rear in a much straighter fashion.

Yes, this you may do. ;)

The obvious solution is not to convert a manual car to a 2-speed auto. That's the last resort. :P

• Like 3

http://www.syncrogearboxes.com/land-rover-lt77-gearbox-oil-change/

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/SubCategory--Rover-SD1--m-3258

The car is off for its last filming mission today. Then the V8ing can begin.

Thanks K-trips I'll get in touch with those jokers and see if they can help me out.

• Like 1

Look at all those random pieces that can be purchased! Warp-o-matic instrument binnacle top covers, crumbly steering column bushes, randomly sticking electric window mechanisms, headlamp switches with the smoke still in them...

*mind blown*

• Like 2

Yes! I've driven past them numerous times but they haven't crossed my mind in the time that I've owned mine. Might be time for me to turn up in my SD1 and hopefully get some more information about them.

Cheers! I was looking at those. I would love to go down the P76 4.4 Litre engine route but I'm just worried about the cost. Many parts in the 4.4 litre version are specific to that engine and most P76 V8s seem to be in horrible condition and quite expensive. But if I can get them for a good deal then they're worth pulling down, inspecting and either rebuilding or putting under the bench for a rainy day.

I have an uncle with a P76 in a jetboat, which is ok on 7 cylinders. He's going to change the whole setup, If'n you need the rest, I could put you in touch. It's unclear yet how bad the engine is, he's reluctant to pull it down, could go either way.

• Like 1

I have an uncle with a P76 in a jetboat, which is ok on 7 cylinders. He's going to change the whole setup, If'n you need the rest, I could put you in touch. It's unclear yet how bad the engine is, he's reluctant to pull it down, could go either way.

If he's selling the P76 engine then I am very interested!

• Like 1