Ball Joint Seized

ratt

Have tried drilling, chewed through the drill bit and hardly made a mark, might try again with a carbide/diamond drill bit or something along those lines.

I gave it some solid whacks, gave up for tonight though, should make some progress tommorow, all things going well.

^ agree..

need to put pressure on it upwards. hence G clamp

then hold 1 bfh behind the cast bit with hole in it.

then hit the opposite side with hammer no.2

taper should pop out after couple hits.

i usually use a 4lb known as ''lumpy''.. and my 16oz to do the hitting, better accuracy.

FYI, much easier with ball joint intact..

got in the same pickle once, cut the joint of same as you did, tryed all the above methods. ended up welding a nut on the remaining bit to attach slide hammer but after welding it just fell out. i think the heat into the taper stub made it expand and when it cooled abit and shrunk it cracked the seal it had with the hole

Clamp or some way of applying pressure to ball joint

heat ( dont need a gas torch, I use a heat gun ) it will have no adverse effects

a few man hits to cast bit with BFH, Another hammer on the other side as above is a good idea and can only help

this has never failed me

Is anyone able to go around to help?

I would if i was closer

edit, also if you are leaving it overnight or for a while try some penetrating oil, wd40, rostoff etc

worth a go cant hurt

and supply video to confirm man hits lol

If you can find someone else to help then a pair of vise grips on the thread and an assistant rotating the thread while you whack the cast arm with two hammers will help.

It will come out mate, you just need paitence and persistance.

Nice sig photo BTW. Looks like one of my ex. GFs from a long time ago

Haha yea looks like one of my ex's too :rolleyes: my brother's coming over after work today so i'll get him to help, gonna shoot down the road and grab a decent drill bit for drilling hardened steel soon and try and take some of the tension off, hopefully that will do the trick :mrgreen:

just keep hitting it as hard as you can as they ^ said from both sides

u can whale on it with a sledge hammer for over an hour with no result some times but eventually it allways comes out

(find some timber to prop another sledge hammar on the other side)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not updating boes.

I won! :D After bashing away with hammers and getting nowhere (was using a 20 pound sledge and a 5 pound mallet)

I borrowed this:

photo0038.jpg

30 seconds later the job was done :rolleyes:

On another note, I just purchased these for nicks:

113335286full.jpg

Enkei 92's

14" 5x114 Unsure of width or offset, will have more info when they arrive, at the price they were im not too concerned though. :lol:

Matt