shavenYak's '83 Subaru 700

What a weird little thing!

It's obvious from that engine diagram that the two pistons move up and down simultaneously, but do the cylinders really fire simultaneously too? Surely they'd be on different strokes, e.g. one on compression while the other's on exhaust?

But if they can build a 700cc manual car without a rev counter, who knows.. :?

Yeah that's what I thought at first.. but nope it's simultaneous firing! So yeah the "distributor" only has a contact breaker, then the coil (which has two terminals) goes straight to the two sparkplugs (which are on the sides of the head). WEIRD.

Again, if anyone in the biz can hook me up with a good price (ie: under $200) on a clutch kit that would be mega-super.

Chassis code is KF3-00515 and engine is EK42 665cc

Clutch plate dimensions are: 160 x 110 x 3mm, 23 spline.

Hey mate will see what I can do regarding the clutch.

Also weird it's simultaneous fire, the exhaust note must sound so weird? surely one piston must be opposite phase than the other, but the coil would fire (like wasted spark) regardless - seems like a good way to get rid of a distributor.

How many cylinder firings per turn of the crankshaft in a normal 4-cylinder engine? Two?

Say such an engine idles at 800rpm.

This Subaru 700 could only fire its two cylinders simultaneously every second crank rotation, i.e. 0.5 firings per turn of the crankshaft.

Does that mean it idles at 3200rpm to compensate? :?

Or does it just idle slowly making distinct sput...sput...sput...sput noises? :?

Imagine the puffs of steam from the exhaust on cold mornings. :shock:

You so need a loud exhaust on this car! :lol:

Also weird it's simultaneous fire, the exhaust note must sound so weird? surely one piston must be opposite phase than the other, but the coil would fire (like wasted spark) regardless - seems like a good way to get rid of a distributor.

Yeah I'm still a little confused by it.. someone with more knowhow have a look at the engine chapter and clear this all up:

http://www.box.net/shared/6qdr7m7dmr

Page 18 of that engine manual shows the camshaft, and the intake and exhaust lobes for each cylinder aren't lined up with eachother.

It must be as Fuel theorised (cos he does kinda know everything..) - a wasted spark system where the cylinders move together but are in opposite phase.

Still idles at 800rpm though! :D

• 1 year later...

Old vs. new gasket. shape is a little different in places but should be ok I think..

^^ Famous last words it seems.

So, yeah turns out that head gasket was NOT the right one for this particular engine. The result was that the main oil galleries at the back of the head were not sealed, and oil ran right out of the engine.

Unfortunately I didn't notice this and took it for a quick drive up the road.

I then ordered the correct head gasket from England (of all places) and installed it. No more oil leak, but it seems the short drive with no oil pressure has had a disasterous effect on the bottom end.

The engine now has a REALLY bad knock from what I assume would be the crank bearings.. So my plan of fixing it up and selling it off has now well and truly faceplanted and now with one week left in Auckland, and no intention of taking it with me to Palmy, I need to make a tough decision of what to do with it.

I imagine I wouldn't get much in scrap for it, and I also don't really want to see it crushed - since that was the whole reason I bought it in the first place.

SO. Does anyone have a place in their shed, and their hearts for this little girl? I'm open to offers, rego is on hold and apart from the bottom end, it's otherwise pretty good. (and has a new clutch and h/g)

I would definitely keep it and see it through if we weren't moving.. breaks my heart. :(

Also, FYI - Subaru Ace engines drop right in and are not especially rare.

You should put it up on Clubsub site. Im sure some one on there mite be kean for it.

• 10 years later...

Hi Team,  
New to the site and found this topic about the mighty KF3 Subaru Rex 700.

I've owned 3 of these out of the 100 that arrived on NZ shore's back in the days.
Late:    1983 ( 50x )
Early:   1984 ( 50x )

( 83' Fanta Orange 700. )
( 83' Gold / Champagne 700 - Parts Car. )
( 84' STi Blue 700 - Runner, Mint really before it's 12 year storage. )

All 3 vehicle's above were " Super Deluxe " Model's also!

I've got an entire car under my house safely hoarded away and would like to move the parts onto a new owner as one day soon I will be moving house and do not wish to take all the parts with me.

I also have in my possession an EXTREMELY RARE!   
Genuine 1983 Subaru 700 Workshop manual, Owner's manual and Warranty booklet.   These are insanely RARE and you will NEVER find these ever again.

Please message me,  I may take a while to reply as I am much older these days than my youth racing about in a twin firing mad 31kw & ( 160 km/hr ) Modified 83' Subaru Rex I once owned in Fanta Orange.

( You may see this hiding in front of the Blue 84' one which is  now resting in peace under my feet as I type this.

I have many many RARE parts as my last 84' Subaru Rex had to come with me in pieces due to me pilfering the Rear brakes off it one afternoon for the Orange Rocket. 
Well that... and the fact the 150km motor was out and on the garage floor for the past 10 years since it had a spun bearing and slightly worn crank.

Although I didn't bring the engine with me, I do believe I have alternator / starter / coil blah blah bolt on parts.

Anyways hit me up for parts,  I will gladly give parts to those in need or ask you for a kind donation to my next mortgage.

Thanks,
Scott

Blue Rex 700.jpg

Rex Inside Via RF Window.jpg

Rex Outside RHF in Garage.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 13/05/2021 at 13:15, Subaru_Rex_700 said:

Hi Team,  
New to the site and found this topic about the mighty KF3 Subaru Rex 700.

I've owned 3 of these out of the 100 that arrived on NZ shore's back in the days.
Late:    1983 ( 50x )
Early:   1984 ( 50x )

( 83' Fanta Orange 700. )
( 83' Gold / Champagne 700 - Parts Car. )
( 84' STi Blue 700 - Runner, Mint really before it's 12 year storage. )

All 3 vehicle's above were " Super Deluxe " Model's also!

I've got an entire car under my house safely hoarded away and would like to move the parts onto a new owner as one day soon I will be moving house and do not wish to take all the parts with me.

I also have in my possession an EXTREMELY RARE!   
Genuine 1983 Subaru 700 Workshop manual, Owner's manual and Warranty booklet.   These are insanely RARE and you will NEVER find these ever again.

Please message me,  I may take a while to reply as I am much older these days than my youth racing about in a twin firing mad 31kw & ( 160 km/hr ) Modified 83' Subaru Rex I once owned in Fanta Orange.

( You may see this hiding in front of the Blue 84' one which is  now resting in peace under my feet as I type this.

I have many many RARE parts as my last 84' Subaru Rex had to come with me in pieces due to me pilfering the Rear brakes off it one afternoon for the Orange Rocket. 
Well that... and the fact the 150km motor was out and on the garage floor for the past 10 years since it had a spun bearing and slightly worn crank.

Although I didn't bring the engine with me, I do believe I have alternator / starter / coil blah blah bolt on parts.

Anyways hit me up for parts,  I will gladly give parts to those in need or ask you for a kind donation to my next mortgage.

Thanks,
Scott

Blue Rex 700.jpg

Rex Inside Via RF Window.jpg

Rex Outside RHF in Garage.jpg

Hi, poprock3 from Hunter Valley AU. Would love to hear that someone has an ek42 without balance shaft chain  noise ( stop laffing ) that they could ship to the mainland at a reasonable price. I have an 85 square headlight 2door Panel Van with windows and 2 spare motors; all three have chain rattle but good top ends and bearings. Bought an Astron 2.6 chain and will shorten but gears are worn. Also have an 83 round headlight model  converted to electric and ute body. RMS engineer and electrician certified, now in its 3rd year of unrestricted rego.

• Like 1