anodiseing?

Kelvin

hey, does any one know how they anodise stuff? is it the same kind of thing as chroming were they dip stuff in a big tank?

can you anodise cast aluminium or can it only be done to clean smooth stuff like bullit aluminium?

and lastly is there any one in hamilton that does this? any help with this would be grate,cheers guys 8)

Any kind of ally can be anodised. As you say, put it in a bath of chemicals, and pass an electric current through it... with the piece to be coated as the anode. Hence the name. Smoother surfaces will look better tho'

Can't comment on Hams companies though.

Cheers, Steve.

you cant anodize all types of aluminum.

most cast alloy is to porous and its got (element i cant remember the name of) in it that dissolves in the first pickle stage of the process.

best bet is to show the parts to the anodizer and ask them, some will "give it a go" but you might end up with a big lump of swiss cheese.

but as a rule, cast = no.

sheepers.

i wont to get my exhaust hpc coated but i like the look of anoiseing for like intercooler pipes and stuff,plus i carnt drive at the moment so i dont think my little sisters to keen to run me upto auckland and back just to drop off a few parts every few days :lol:

dont think anodizing will do much for heat resistance

I think he means resistant colour fade rather than heat transfer though.

Problem with anodising is its not always a good bond with the metal so can flake & rub etc.

For a inlet plenum I would have said powder coating may be your best bet cost wise? Shouldn't get too hot? thought? Otherwise procoat

It's not rocket science and although you can buy kits, the basic chemicals are common and cheap. It's not like chrome plating, for example. This site has all you need to know and get started. With a bit of fine tuning of your set-up, it's more than feasible to do at home but not economic if you only want one part done.

I have all equipment to anodize alloy here. Cast does not usually anodize well & most often the only colour it will take is black - but only comes out a dark grey, looks ok but still not ideal. Buillet alloy is much nicer & can more or less get any colour you want. PM if you want anything done, more than happy to do it