multi club run Christchurch,17th january 2010

427carguy

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell yea get the v8s onboard!!!

Just heard back from the po po, looks like we're all good to go!!

Here's the email...

Thanks for advising Police of this cruise Tim - should be good fun.

Police will be made aware of it but won't become involved

I assume you have got the permission from the Target business to use their carpark, which

to me sounds ideal. The route is also OK

Rob Patterson

Senior Sergeant

O/C Christchurch South

----- Forwarded by John Pine/POLICE/NZ on 05/12/2009 14:26 -----

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Tim Stewart

To:

Date:

02/12/2009 12:00

Subject:

Multi Club Car Cruise, January 17th 2010.

Hey mate how's it going?

My name's Tim Stewart, I'm the South Island Events Co-Ordinator for Club-K ( the club for Toyota KP Starlets and KE series Corollas ). We are a well organised, responsible club of like minded car enthusiasts, we aren't your typical boy racers..

I wanted to email you to inform you of a Multi-club car cruise I am helping to organise with clubs like Oldschool.co.nz, NZDatsun.com, Datsun.co.nz, Datsun Owners Club, Classic Colt club, Vauxhall owners club, and a few others I can't think of right now.

So far in our plans, we have decided to meet at Target carpark down Blenheim Rd, at 12 Mid-day on January the 17th (Sunday) 2010. The carpark is usually empty on Sundays so we thought this would be a good large carpark for us to meet in, before we convoy off on our cruise route. I have attached a map of our proposed cruise route.

Can you please let me know your thoughts on the event?

Is there any problem with our meet up spot at Target carpark?

Or the cruise route?

We are all responsible clubs, just out to have a good time driving, meet new people from other clubs, and chat cars without the Mrs bothering us!

Cheers

Tim Stewart

http://www.club-k.co.nz

Now I think we should inform Target..

I was very keen to come until all this mention of letting the cops know every single detail. To me that seems like a great way to ruin an otherwise mint sounding day.

Also it baffles me that everyone seems to think its a good idea, really? I assume everyone that is going has no illegal modifcations/exhausts over 95db for when Senior Sergeant Rob Killjoy decides to be an asshole and set up a roadblock.

Hey maybe afterwards we can all get together with the cops, have a nice little picnic and exchange some high 5's.

I was very keen to come until all this mention of letting the cops know every single detail. To me that seems like a great way to ruin an otherwise mint sounding day.

Also it baffles me that everyone seems to think its a good idea, really? I assume everyone that is going has no illegal modifcations/exhausts over 95db for when Senior Sergeant Rob Killjoy decides to be an asshole and set up a roadblock.

Hey maybe afterwards we can all get together with the cops, have a nice little picnic and exchange some high 5's.

lol

With the new laws in place NOT letting them know about the "cruise" would result in a multitude of cars being impounded simply because they're "cruising" as they're obviously together and moving in the same direction.

So, rather than just the morons with illegal modifications and obnoxiously loud exhausts, who can't stay inside some pretty simple guidelines getting into trouble, everyone taking part would be.

It's not rocket science.

For the cruising law to be applied by the Police, the local governing body (in this case the Christchurch City Council) has to designate the streets in which cruising is banned.

The City Council has not yet done so (as far as I know), and even if they had I would be very surprised if any roads aside from the Four Avenues were included. "Cruising" is also defined as repetitive driving (this is more than TWICE according to National MP Nicky Wagner) on the same stretch of road, therefore the cruising law does not apply in this case.

Not to mention that the new cruising law is a totally unworkable piece of junk-legislation. I would think that any real car enthusiasts would be resisting this ridiculous intrusion into their private hobbies - NO ONE should be required to notify the police of their activities, unless ordered to do so by the Court.

Instead of rolling over and accepting this infringement on our human rights, people should be standing up to these bully lawmakers who leverage the hysteria surrounding the boyracer-stereotype for their own political aims. We should be refusing to abide by their pedantic and unreasonable laws (which incidentally do nothing to control the real trouble-makers).

Personally I think it sucks that simsey took it upon himself to notify the police about this event without even asking for anyone else's input, to be honest I think its actually quite rude. Lets hope it has earned him his junior detective badge, eh?

Imagine if someone turned up to your house for a party and informed you that they had just got off the phone to noise control/the Police and let them know there was a party happening at your address, would you say "gee thanks bro" and welcome them inside? I don't think so...

Anyway, to wind it up: No one has a responsibility to notify the Police of any car cruises. The law requires you organise the cruise with the local governing body, and this is ONLY if the cruise is occurring on streets that have been designated "no cruise zones".

Disclaimer: My cars are legal and I make the effort to drive within the road rules (as much as anyone on here anyway).

Police will be made aware of it but won't become involved

I've always notified them of cruises etc, so they leave us alone, and they have left us alone. I don't see the problem in letting them know we are just out for a cruise and not heading off somewhere to do skids.

Actually, I think it was a good idea.

If you have a convoy of 30 datsuns, or 30 toyotas or 30 hot rods, or muscle cars, then it's clearly a club event. If you get a huge group of all sorts, then it's more likely to be a mob of hoons going out to do some skids.

Playing by the rules is smart. If you think it was a shit idea, then you must be the kind of person who makes life hard for the rest of us actual car enthusiests. So maybe you should stay home so you dont ruin it for the rest of us.

End rant.

I don't make trouble, and my cars are legit because I do things the right way - partly because I don't want trouble from the authorities, but MOSTLY because I don't want to be driving an unsafe, poorly put together vehicle.

I just see very little reason to report my whereabouts to the Police when there is no legal requirement to do so and I am abiding 100% within the law.

Frankly it's none of their business.

Playing by the rules is great - means less hassles and more fun - but the rules do not require this sort of event to be okayed by the Police. You guys better hope that theres no officers that are a bit short on their ticket quota that day..

You guys better hope that theres no officers that are a bit short on their ticket quota that day..

if your cars are legit and you drive properly then you've got nothing to worry about so i dont see the problem.....

if you dont like the way its run then dont go, prety simple. but there are plenty of others who are keen beans, so let them enjoy it. i know im gutted i wont be back down for it.

anyways, lets keep it on topic.

Last cruise I attended in Christchurch, I estimate close to 1/2 the cars had "problems" that would have caused them to receive tickets/be ordered off the road. Nothing I would consider serious, but if you were going to be picky... (and cops are renowned for being picky).

I'd like to take this moment to point out that (based on power figures sourced from the net) the conversion from a 2k to 4k is over the 20% increase in power that is allowed by the lvvta, and should technically be certified.

Don't worry, my 100% legal car and I won't be attending out of principle.