K-Trips 1982 Holden Commodore VH Discussion

KKtrips

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha Yeah I'm sure the 3.9 will be fine to get me going but it's not ideal as a permanent solution for 3 reasons...

The ratio is too short and will not be conducive to good economy.

It is weak and any spirited driving will push the limits.

The stud pattern is different so would need 2 spare tyres.

So I'll rock it for a short while but will get the right diff in before cert time.

By the way have you seen the size of the butterfly plates on the secondaries of a q jet?

Compared to a square bore Holley they are actually huge!

There are merits of running a Holley but none really stand out as worth the $500 it would cost to buy one.

When I buy an after market manifold I may do it then but no real point when I already have a carb and I'm also running factory inlet manifold.

I think I am actually getting sick from lying on wet floor. DAMN IT!!!

Errant sneezes and that "chlorine" feeling at the back if my nose/throat.

Door comes off Thursday night and I will take it to Matt (Sorensin) when he is back from Aussie with Sian (Anibor) which I hope is early next week.

• Like 1

I'll agree, once a quaddie is correctly set up, they can get better fuel economy (and performance) than a holley.  Usually the fact that they are a bit tired by now and more troublesome to tune means not many people go for them.  Plenty of info on www.gmh-torana.com.au

Yea the Q-jet are just a little more complex to rebuild, not hard to tune, in fact easier than dropping 2 bowls of fuel everywhere to change jets. The Q-jet on a 308 is 750CFM and will perform as well as a Holley while using a fraction of the gas, I'll stab you if you change to a Holley KK.

• Like 3

My buick has a quady and gives me better fuel economy than my legacy daily. I had a brand new holley on my old ute and was shit . Leaked fuel on numerous occasions. Cause a under bonnet fire once which was exciting. My quad has room for improvement tho. I am interested to learn Spencer's dirty little quady secrets.

• Like 1

Can't all travel is suspended to save for the USA.

That carb looks in pretty good condition, just clean it out and roll it? the factory jets and needles should get it running OK, I don't think that cam is big enough to need any mods for more idle air. When you can take it off the road then fix those shaft bushes and tidy it up.

KK you still haven't got a photo of the base plate under the fuel inlet lol. 

Also looks like your choke was a divorced hot air intake manifold job? are you going to get this running? or run a manual choke? there is a kit somewhere to convert them to electric I think. Thats the only downfall of the older carbs is the yuck choke setup, being warm here I just removed mine.

There is no real tricks, biggest thing you can do is free up the adjustment of the part throttle system, its locked out from factory on some carbs. Once you do this you can change the needles depth in the primary jets at high vacuum (cruise) means you can lean the shit out of it at highway speeds for even better gas milage. Other mods are only for more idle air if you go a big cam, this is something that gave them a bad rep as well. People would bang a cam in and not be able to get enough idle bypass air for the car to run properly, several ways to fix this if you need to.