• 8 months later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Yeah I know its like an afternoons work but

A: I have other shit on also - like sorting that other 202 that is the bane of my existance

B: I am lazy and really CBF

C: I need 3 reasons and by the end of this sentence I will have thought of one - nope I didn't cos I was busy thinking what this sentence was going to say - so yeah nah/not going to happen/Shaz nazzle is my chaffeur and I'll just get drunk all weekend

edit for Brad - I achshally did put in the effort on my phone and they is all 202's bro - If I'm doing another engine change I'll go pheee ayte mate..

If I'm not going V8 then I'll just rip the head off my one and chuck it back on with a new set of gaskets after a clean up of the surfaces..

oh lowl, I just assumed you were keens on another cheap boat anchor to get the thing rolling again quickly.. don't mind me.

Haven't stumbled across too many of the older 8's in my searches on TM. You be staying manwell or going to auto for cruise spec?

I've been lightly considering going to the darkside (V8) but dirty straight 6's just seem to tickle all the right boxes, if you know what I mean.

but dirty straight 6's just seem to tickle all the right boxes, if you know what I mean.

Yeah I know what you mean... (you do mean sexually ay?)

I think I'll be keen for a lazy auto - I'm all about rowing through gears if I'm thrashing something - but TBH these days I would rather cruise at 80 with my arm out the window and some seriously good sounds - I'm getting so fucking old.. haha

Seedy - Iknorite - but I just CBF, plus I thought of the 3rd reason - I have stuff to do for a WOF which won't get done in time either.. It'll be done for Xmas/New Years and then on to Wagnats but Hawkes Boes is all about being a passenger this time..

Cam and Thom - what small Metroit Miesel will fit and is reasonably available?

Oh yeah that shit is whack - the 5.7 were a complete let down (the word on the internet is they had a petrol block with diesel heads and internals)

6.0 and 6.5 (??) were a lot better because they had a properly designed block..

edit - pretty sure that is what E has put into his Celica.. LOL

edit edit - view #5700 for max :shock:

LF9 DieselThe LF9 was a 350 cu in (5,737 cc) diesel V8 produced from 1978-1985.

Applications;

350N 1978–1985 Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Cadillac, and Checker Marathon cars

Early 120 hp (89 kW) 220 ft·lbf (300 N·m) torque

Later 105 hp (78 kW) and 205 ft·lbf (278 N·m) torque

350N 1978–1980 GMC and Chevrolet light trucks "pickups"

125 hp (93 kW) and 225 ft·lbf (305 N·m) torque

Variations;

1978–1980 Early block Identified by "D" cast into both sides of block

Up to 125 bhp (93 kW)

external EGR from 1978–1981 (single stud air cleaner)

internal EGR from 1982–1985 (two stud air cleaner)

Used a conventional flat tappet hydraulic camshaft/flat tappet hydraulic lifters which required 3,000 mi (4,800 km) oil change intervals.

1981–1985 Improved block Identified by "DX" cast into both sides of block.

Up to 105 bhp (78 kW)

Internal EGR

All 5.7 diesels from 1978–1985 used 1/2" diameter cylinder head bolts.

Longer main bolts with fully tapped holes in block.

Newly introduced roller lifters/rollerized camshaft extended oil change intervals to 5,000 mi (8,000 km).

Diesel differences;

The Oldsmobile diesel is believed by some to be a converted gasoline engine. While they share the same bore and stroke and some external bolt patterns (transmission and exhaust manifolds) they are quite different.

GM began with a substantially different bottom end when compared with its gasoline cousin.

Diesel blocks

3" diameter injection pump mount is cast into the top of the lifter valley.This casting was part of the engine block.

Camshaft nose modified to incorporate injection pump drive gear.

A round plastic button in the 1981-1985 DX blocks was used with a stiff spring to prevent the camshaft from "walking" back and forth.

Block castings are much thicker and heavier. It's possible to overbore the cylinders by 0.125in without sonic testing.

Solid heavy cast main webs were used.

Reputedly, GM used a higher nickel cast iron alloy for the block and heads.

Diesel crankshafts

Cast nodular iron used in all Olds diesel crankshafts.

Main bearing journal diameter was increased to 3.0" which made that area the same as that of the Olds 455 crankshaft.

Vibration damper modified to allow eccentric for crank-driven fuel lift pump

Diesel pistons and rods

Diesel rods are shorter at 5.886" long.

Diesel connecting rods use a bronze bushing with a full floating piston pin.They did not use press fit piston pins like many gasoline engines do.Snap-rings are used to retain the piston pin within the piston.

Diesel pistons have large valve reliefs with a flame slot and a steel insert to reinforce the top piston ring area.

Fuel systems

No OEM fuel/water separator was factory installed on any Olds Diesel.

Crank eccentric driven fuel lift pump mounted in same location as gasoline fuel pump.

Fuel line heater between lift pump and filter.

Intake mounted 10 micrometer fuel filter.

Stanadyne Roosamaster DB2 mechanical diesel injection pump.

1978-79 Pencil Injectors held in by a mounting clamp.

1980-85 Poppet injectors thread into the cylinder head like a spark plug.

Heads

The same 10-head bolt pattern as their smallblock gasoline cousins.

The same exhaust manifold bolt pattern as their smallblock gasoline cousins.

Precombustion chambers were used since this engine is a indirect-injected design.

Valve springs contained a vibration dampener with rotators.

Head variations

Very early castings were stamped D3 and used 5/16" injector hold down retaining bolts and clamps.

D3A castings were created a little later and used 3/8" injector hold down bolts and clamps.

Both D3 and D3A heads accepted external EGR and pencil injectors.

Some D3A heads accepted poppet injectors as well.

D3B Later heads

All had internal EGR

Pencil or poppet injectors

1 or 2 locating dowels

The Oldsmobile diesel gained a reputation for unreliability and anemic performance that badly damaged the North American passenger diesel market for the next 20 years.[17][18]

[edit] Oldsmobile diesel problems[edit] Head boltsGM used "torque to yield", commonly known as "stretch" or "angle torque", head bolts. This allowed the bolt pattern to remain the same as the gas powered counterpart with an increase in clamping load when compared to standard head bolts. A total of 10 bolts per head were used, four per cylinder with the center three pairs shared. This permitted the use of the same tooling and reduced setup costs. This design did not provide adequate clamping force under the severe conditions to which these engines were subjected. Overheating or excessive cylinder pressure could breach the seal of the head gasket and in severe cases break the bolts.

High strength aftermarket head bolt sets from Victors are now available to make the engine more reliable in this area.

[edit] Pump timingThe Stanadyne injection pump was driven with the use of a short stubby shaft with a built in helical gear which meshed with a gear on the front section of the camshaft. With high mileage,the timing chains tended to stretch a little (like any other timing chain) and the injection pump timing could become less than perfect. The pump timing can be adjusted dynamically with the use of a Snap-on MT480 analog diesel timing meter or with one of the more modern meters used today.

[edit] Water in fuelArguably a major portion of the LF9 engine's problem could have been simply avoided by using a water separating fuel filter. The lack of water separators was a fuel system deficiency across GMs' light duty diesel lineup into the late 1980's.

Water will rust the steel internals of the fuel system. Rust will damage the precision parts in diesel fuel injection pumps and high pressure diesel injectors causing erratic operation. Injecting fuel too much prior to TDC on the compression stroke will cause pressure conditions similar to pre-ignition / detonation in gasoline engines. Water in varying amounts will also be injected with the fuel charge. Any rust in the steel fuel lines, fuel filter, pump etc can damage replacement parts and continue to cause injection cycles out of time.

[edit] Consumer created fuel problemsWater in gasoline fuel systems can be addressed by adding anhydrous alcohol [drygas] to the fuel. This technique does not work with diesel fuel. Some consumers used drygas in their diesels to combat the water, but the Alcohol in drygas accelerated the wear of the governor flex rings inside the early Stanadyne DB injection pumps. These pumps included an ignition advance mechanism based on pump housing fuel pressure. The housing pressure was affected by fuel return flow. Pieces of a damaged governor flex ring lodged in the fuel return check ball assembly. The sometimes intermittently blocked return line combined with a damaged governor caused erratic ignition timing. The flex ring governor was replaced, by Stanadyne in 1985, with a much improved Elastomer Insert Drive Governor Assembly commonly referred to as an EID. The EID is a service replacement part that eliminates the disintegrating flex ring.[19]

The above mix of conditions originating with water in the fuel contributed to creating extreme cylinder pressures far exceeding those foreseen by the LF9 engine designers. These pressures would damage the head gasket and sometimes break head bolts.

A head gasket leak effectively quenched ignition in the affected cylinder. This allowed unburnt fuel and coolant to leak into the crankcase, and would thin the lubricating oil. It also combined with combustion byproducts to make mild acids that attacked the copper/babbitt bearings and aluminum pistons. A head gasket failure can be particularly damaging in a diesel. A diesel engine has effectively no piston to head clearance at TDC on the compression stroke. The introduction of coolant into the cylinders can cause hydrolock. Hydrolock typically results in bent/broken crankshafts, pulled threads on main bolts, and bent connecting rods, effectively destroying an engine.

Because the various failures these engines encountered were causally interrelated, and dealership technicians were unfamiliar at best with passenger car diesel engines, recurrent failures were possible because only the most obvious symptoms of trouble were addressed. The "one use only" head bolts were commonly re-used and symptoms in other interrelated systems ignored. Thus, cars could suffer multiple head gasket/head bolt failures from re-use of head bolts or a damaged injection system.

The Oldsmobile Diesel V6 engines, although sharing much of the same production history, were produced on different tooling, where it was feasible to upgrade the head bolt pattern to what is arguably a superior design capable of withstanding more consumer abuse. However, the fuel system suffered from the same deficiencies.

Shaz giz lift to HBIV - KTHX

If you can reword that request to something vaguely coherent and grammatically correct, I will happily give you a ride.

How about this for a plan? I sort my shit out and finally get that 308 I've been dreaming about and you have my 202? :lol: