K-Trips 1982 Holden Commodore VH Discussion

KKtrips

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no good with rust repairs especially in an area like the windscreen - if I fuck it up, it will leak like a whores vag the day after the USS Enterprise leaves town and the rubber will definitely fall apart when they are pulling the screen out.. its brittle as shit.

I wish I was tugging/trolling for a reaction.

Don't you dare steal my windscreen!

It just occurred to me that you're in the possession of my Commie right this minute so you'd be able to steal mine, current WOF sticker and all... :lol:

Sucks though. I feel your pain from similar past trauma.

It's not THAT hard to fix rust around a windscreen, just hammer flat sections into folds over a piece of angle iron in a vice. Tack weld em into place. use a very damp towel on the body metal around the weld area to keep the warp-age to the min, e.g the roof or such.

get the screen out by heating up the metal wire in the rubber if it has it, with a 12 volt battery. or use stainless steel wire, .. eg a guitar string, push it through the rubber somewhere from the outside into the cabin, wrap it around a couple bits of steel tube, and then electrical tape that dangerous little fucker (hands/fingers). work it around the window, carefully, .. should prevent the rubber being ruined, .. or you could just kick the screen out from the inside cos it's already ruined anyway. just.. no barefeet aye !

I'm a big fan of repair it .. and parts will come to you .. least you could always promise to massage the gf's back each night for month for the money and renege later :P

now I think about it: plain old grease reconditions window rubbers, just rub it in, the rubber will soak it up, silicone might do a better job though

^ oh I enjoyed the new spin on that old joke.

Hate to suggest the obvious, but what about a different "friendly wof guy"? Will actually burn bridges with that guy, which isn't ideal, but at least it might get you another 6 months of awesome fun times.

My thoughts;

Remove current screen. See if anything needs doing. If not, buy screen from other VB-VL 'whore, slam it in for the season. If things do need sorting, evaluate when you can see them directly, I almost guarantee it will only be wire brush material.

Edit;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 740299.htm

$40 BUY NOW, small chip. Do it.

Will advise on progress - I have rung and talked to a possible windscreen hookup through a glass guy I gave a CRAPLOAD of work to when I was working for NZBus.. I need to take it into his shop ASAP though - they need to measure the screen cos there are 3 different types.. No guarantees he will look after me though cos I don't work for them anymore and the guy that took over from me shafted him after I left.