K-Trips 1982 Holden Commodore VH Discussion

KKtrips

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Caps in offtopic only, ball sacks.

If its just going matt olive drab just knock it back and spray it up. No need for prep, will look cooler with a few imperfections/war wounds. It's still quite a straight car overall, especially with the new panels.

But in this case it could mean the difference between doing it or not. If theres an option of 2 days to paint the car, and its either do only the front really nicely, or the whole lot not so nicely, my vote goes to whole lot.

Oh yea for sure, just takes stuff all to bog up stone chips, small dents etc, was just saying earlier that 1 day prep is optimistic. Definitely wouldn't attempt to just do the front though KK, chances are slim you will match the faded original paint very well

no pics to update - but I spent this morning prepping the bonnet by paint stripping it cos the paint was sooooo fucked on it.

Now I have a headache and have given up for the day.. Plan has changed a little after some internal conflict with myself last night..

I have just bought a litre of the factory colour flattened down heaps. I will paint the front end in the flattened factory colour and then when I have more time I will prep the whole car and paint it in the olive drab... I would rather do a semi good job in the future when I'm more in the zone rather than a rushed job now just cos its dismantled..

Should have paint prep finished by this time tomorrow and then get painting done sometime next week/in the weekend..

Will update the build thread once I have some photos.

Gaz - Manu has been working on his car too - he will update build thread when he is ready - work so far looks really good IMO.. He may or may not be a bit hungover today and back in bed now.. haha

Shaz - Giz link plz.. chur

You guys probably do anyway, but for things like that always check www.ebay.com.au or whatever website it is. I was looking for grill/trim/lights etc and you can buy everything brand new for an absolute fraction of the price of rarespares and usually even cheaper than what people are asking second hand for good bits. Will obviously be a bit of difficulty with sorting out payment and freight etc, but if you could land $1000 items for around $300-400 you'd be away laughing.

Will that engine make it move all good? My old man used to have one of these in white, traded that shit in for a VN which he reckoned was the worst car he's ever owned, promptly traded that in for a brand new Corona or some such which he raped.

In the tail pipe

I'll take a look thanks Brad...

Eliot - the 202 hauls it along pretty sweet - it has a 3.9 rear diff gear (same as 4 cyl) so it motivates quite well and the 5 speed with overdrive is not too bad for revs at 100 klicks - perhaps 1900ish.. it loves the 98 so it allows me to pump a fair bit of timing in...

98 allows me to get the most out of the engine which feels substansially more on 98 than 95 and wouldn't even consider 91..

I quite like the olive drab - in the meantime I am resuming factory colour just to get me through..

each to their own when it comes to colour choices - although it won't be boring one colour flat throughout - I intend on some pinstriping and the like to break up the colour. Perhaps some woodgrain

I've known motors to get better economy from running on 98 also. Whether its enough to justify the massive price increase they now charge over standard 91 I'm not sure, but it definitely makes for a cleaner and more crisp feeling engine when timed right for the higher octane.

Good progress kk, its looking better already. Hope that paint matches well enough.

I really enjoy this project. Don't deny the roots, go for the Opel grille!

OT. I had an Opel Rekord E2 -83 (the weak facelifted twin) once, and damn I miss that car. They're getting pretty rare here, so it's hard to find a new better one...