K-Trips 1982 Holden Commodore VH Discussion

KKtrips

I have a 308 carb that I am doing for my uncle, but I am missing some parts and waiting on the rebuild bits from the states. Once I get that stuff I will run through the basics, I'm no expert and they made lots of variations with late model stuff, but for these early 70's carbs it will be relevant. Oh and this will be replacing a Holley on a 308, it has a fairly wild cam, alloy heads etc, I doubt it will loose any power and use sooooo much less gas.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea the Q-jet are just a little more complex to rebuild, not hard to tune, in fact easier than dropping 2 bowls of fuel everywhere to change jets. The Q-jet on a 308 is 750CFM and will perform as well as a Holley while using a fraction of the gas, I'll stab you if you change to a Holley KK.

Really? 750cfm is way to big for a 308, I've only got a 650 on my 351

Really? 750cfm is way to big for a 308, I've only got a 650 on my 351

Yea but the Q-jet isn't a Holley, the small primaries and variable air flap on the secondaries means you don't loose velocity through the midrange like you do when you go to big with a  Holley. 

funny huh? I always thought a qj was 600 max.. doing some reading and they had two main sizes, 750 and 800.. aussie fords had the carter thermo and the one my landau had was 600.. I suppose since they used the qj on big blocks there had to be some provision for cubes.. learn something new every day..

Good progress Mr KK. You sure are a man on a mission.

You might want a heat shield around that starter or wrap your headers to prevent it jamming up when hot.

The mini starter might be ok but I know the OG chev starters used to not throw out after a long trip.

Quick question, when swapping the starfire out and putting in the 202 (black or red 202?) did you have to change the subframe or did it drop onto the starfire subframe?
And then to evolve on that even more did you have to change the subframe when putting the v8 in?

Thanks

Nice work, quick question. Where the fuck did that magnet come from? One landed on my lap on the first night of Nats and forgot about it till i found it in my car

I got it from Singapore back in 05  - most probably the one that landed in your lap is my other one - I think it's a No Dancing magnet?

Good progress Mr KK. You sure are a man on a mission.

You might want a heat shield around that starter or wrap your headers to prevent it jamming up when hot.

The mini starter might be ok but I know the OG chev starters used to not throw out after a long trip.

Cheers man - I have a target of mid July - yeah I see those starter heat wrap things available on the tard - I may just get me one of them because yes it is close and would get hot no doubt...

Quick question, when swapping the starfire out and putting in the 202 (black or red 202?) did you have to change the subframe or did it drop onto the starfire subframe?

And then to evolve on that even more did you have to change the subframe when putting the v8 in?

Thanks

It's a completely different engine mounts on the crossmember going from 4 to 6.

But any 6 or 8 cyl crossmember from a VC to VK will work sweet with a 202.

Going from 6 to 8 is the same crossmember as the 6 - although rumour has it that the 8 has extra strengthening over the 6 - but I am yet to see one side by side to compare.

Hey guys, wanna hold fire while I just move this thread into "Other Projects"

I think we can all agree it's not really classed as "oldschool"

Shhhh Dane - don't make me get all intimidating face on you...

Bleh!

I will be drilling and tapping threads into the hoop - has been OKed by Clint - although even if I do get pulled up on it - no-one is going to be able to see inside the chassis rail to see if they are secured by nuts or tapped threads..

You guys could have an OS QJet setup symposium over a weekend, club in and get a return ticket to Welly, provide bed, food, airport transfers, and rebuild kits;  bring in The Spence, get through, what, 5 or 6 QJet setups, have it shot and documented by a photographic member, create resource for OS and a number of clean, lean-running fee-eights.  "profit" or is it "Prophet Spenno"?

• Like 1

No you can't - the first starter I had was a 12 o'clock solenoid position and it hit on the headers and block.

This one was a 9 o'clock solenoid postion but had one other option pre drilled and tapped of a 8 o'clock position.

It is close (like 10mm) away from the exhaust but in the pics it looks like it's touching or sitting between the header pipes - but it's not - fortunately...

Yes - I am going to get a starter blanket for it before I go much further.