nigelwade's Capri

kyteler

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good man, not the only UZ Capri on here of course but always good to see more. Looking forward to the pictures and build-up progress thus far.

I've only found one other one on here, I know of "rich's" car, the red one. are there others around with the same project ? if people happen to run across pics/links etc, I'd always keen to see how others do it.

Looks good man cool to see some one doing everything nice and tidy and not being afraid to do a do over.

Thanks man, really appreciate comments, and thoughts,

I'm not *happy* to do things over and over, but sometimes it's just whats needed. Sometimes you have to do it once, in order to see how it could be better if it was changed.

Some of the pictures are blinding man, cellphone pics?

Nice progress though man, the joy of trial and error. I thought there was another other than Rich's one but perhaps not. There's so many badass projects on here it's sometimes hard to keep track.

What's the basics on where it stands at the moment?

Some of the pictures are blinding man, cellphone pics?

yeah, some are, when I have some free time I hope to sort the threat out a bit. I was hoping to use the thread to track progress so I've dumped everything I have in there.

Nice progress though man, the joy of trial and error.

I wish it hadn't gone that way, but if I had started knowing what I was getting into I wouldn't be were I am now. It would have a v6 and 4spd. So in someways I'm glad I went this way.

I thought there was another other than Rich's one but perhaps not. There's so many badass projects on here it's sometimes hard to keep track.

Oh well, .. I have run across other people doing this project, but the common theme with those project is .. short cuts, and poor engineering choices, thats just my opinion though.

What's the basics on where it stands at the moment?
just quickly;
complete but for;
  • oil pickup, and sump fabrication needs to be completed.

• suspension needs 31mm universal sway bar brackets, and one nut for sway bar, but otherwise all new pretty much

• fuel lines need to relaid from front to back (for the 3rd time !) and cover with stone guard for certifier

• the second sway bar at the back needs to be linked to the shell (so I need to make a bracket and by some rod ends

• need to do the washer bottle and lines (where the hell am I going to put that ???)

• need to get a REAL overflow bottle, .. thinking alloy & custom made

• oh, .. need to get around to buying new rear wheel brake cycliners and pads, .. might as well, the rest of the brakes are re-co'ed

• still have to do the high beam dip, and make the hazard light system

• have a new skin for the passengers door, and speaker mounts to put in place

• need to install electric door locks (re-alarm system)

• need to get around to installed the two GPS tracking systems before I make it mobile

• need to install, buy, and wire in the hidden sealed battery (alarm type battery), this is a back up battery that supports the car when the main battery fails/dies/ or is removed (trick aye !) that requires a custom mount, and some trick electrics

• I have to do 1000km's to bed in the various systems prior to cert to make sure it's all ok

• oh, .. I have to either purchase a aftermarket speedo, or have the capri one re-calibrated

that about covers it, might be a year or so, I'm in no rush.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in Auckland, yea I noticed the date and thought .. wait, that's like 18mths ago!

I've been working on mine since around 2003, So meh, time is no problem, it's a hobbie I make sure I do stuff each year and i'm not all that bothered about how long it takes it's a great hobby and I enjoy it. Besides, I've got patience for Africa :P

That said, I do try and do atleast one or two major things per year. This year it's the rear suspension (design and fab), and a quad throttle body conversion, and turbo headers. I'd also like to start seam welding the frame and adding in alot of support in places. so I'm current expanding my storage area to take all the parts that will be coming off the car (like everything).

Next year I'll like to put the car into primer, after all the steel work is done. The plan always was to paint the car as soon as the metal work was finished. So I got a compressor and 200lt extension tank. Have yet to get around do finishing things off. Money is the main issue being students, but time is always an issue.

• 1 month later...
Just a heads up, try making the pics a little smaller and not put up 6 photos of essentially the same thing as it makes the thread tedious as hell to read.

What are you thinking of doing with rear susp.

clean up and remove some pics ?

four link, centre'd watts linkage, coilovers, swaybar.

DSC00164.jpg

I can see a bit of a problem in this pic. You will have wicked bump steer on this car, with the placement of the steering rack vs. the track control arms. You should be able to see it quite visibly as you lower the car off the jack to the floor, the wheels will go to toe-in as it is lowered. To correct either raise the mounting point of the rack, or lower the mounting point of the TCA, or swap the outer end on the tie rods to the underside of the steering arm on the strut(they normally mount underneath on a Capri) It will be almost undrivable like this. Not trying to $hit on your thread, as it all looks good, but just noticed it and will be much easier to sort now than later:D

Lined the turbo up in the car, and stuff, I can see it will fit but I'll have to seriously alter the front end structure behind the headlight. Which sucks, if it was something other than a v6 capri shell I might have less concerns about altering it but .. after some serious soul search I think I live with myself by adding a place within the shell for a turbo on one side, it seems a shame not to do after coming so far with the car.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether I should add a roll cage tube support structure to front prior to (or after) removing some of the inner guard (front left), I mean, how much can a shell wander during constructing it's not under any load I can think off up there ?

*if I did add something it would be two bars forward from strut tops to meet a horizontal bar sitting just out from the slam panel, then two down (once each side, turbo placement permitting so likely unequal locations) down to the lower box section at the front