shavenYak's '76 Toyota Hiace

shavenYak

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20196

Gonna start digging for cancer this weekend to see what's in store, but I reckon it won't be too bad.

Aiming to have it ready and providing me with summer camping goodness by early next year, so that should be plenty of time!

Pretty sure it's like a 4K engine or something like that? where is the engine number?

If anyone has any ideas about driveshaft donors, or anyone know of a wreck sitting somewhere that I could pillage for driveshaft and petrol tank that would be suuuper.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's it - where's that photo from?

I got the pic of oldschool forums were someone had gone into a recking yard and takin some photos.(Someone on here maybe able to tell you where it is) I saved the picture to show a mate who wants one. Also another mate i kinda know has one he is restoring/driving around

Awesome, wack plates on and roll as is once driveshaft straightened..

How bad is it? As they can be straightened and balanced

yeah it's pretty mangled and crushed, but I'll take it out in the weekend and get a better look.

The petrol tank needs to be fixed or replaced too, there's a three inch long stab wound to the bottom of it.. is it kosher to weld fix them? obviously needs to be pretty sound so no silicone patch up job or anything right?

but yeah can't wait to roll it around, will probably pull out most of the camper interior and use as transport for my drumkit. (the suzuki's only got so much cargo space..) Then later in summer take it for a nice long trip with the missus and the dog. :)

• 3 months later...

So once I get back from the two day cruise over new years I'm gonna get some paint on to the thing. Having trouble deciding what to go with - definitely don't want anything newschool like ford zany orange / kermit green or whatever..

here are some ideas:

pickupmod.jpg

94766702.jpg

597ev.jpg

780.jpg

843i.jpg

254965712.jpg

camperkevs002.jpg

campervan.jpg

cimg0328z.jpg

digging the greenish/grey one and the red one, also quite like the white with white grill. of course there's nothing wrong with the glossy black with whitewalls. hmmm decisions decisions..

One thing I do know is that I'm gonna try paint using rollers. Seen a few examples/guides online and looks like people achieve some good looking finishes. Everything I've found suggests using "Rust-oleum" which is a paint-on-steel enamel they have in the states. Think I can get it here at MMP coatings in Mt Wellington. Might call in on tuesday and see what they've got.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Gives me motorvantion for mine

The windscreen washer bottle thing is great!

I would probably have never thought of it and just cried instead.

yeah I was almost at that point, but my dad's tips saved the day. - was a real "use the force, luke" moment. :D

• 3 weeks later...

probably my favourite ever shape of van. very cool.

but thats not why i'm posting...............

there's a truck version at Tauranga pick a part, looks reasonably tidy for how old it is. interior is a bit rough but there might be some hard to find bits if you need them. i had a quick look at the drivers door and a good look at the passengers, couldn't see any rust. the whole thing is painted in white house paint, not sure if its hiding anything. front plastic is there, although its been badged and somebody has taken a headlight out of each side.

not sure where you're located, give me a yell if anything sounds interesting and i can have a better look, i've got to head back in the next few days to grab a few things.

cheers

Matt