mini mafia's 73 mazda capella

Kelvin

Hi just thought id chuck up some pics of my Capella that i imported from aussie when i moved back earlier this year.

i bought it off aussie rotor forum ausrotary http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=157237. Rolled around in it for a year or so in Alice Springs then when i moved back 2 months ago i got it sent over on a boat.

Heres some pics of the trip home and of the car!

TheBeginning.jpg

Me, Tank {macabre} and Jordan {nanarei} at the start of a 3500k trip to the docks to drop it off

P7043012.jpg

Car on a roadside stop by Ayres Rock

IMG_5204.jpg

Valet parking at Crown Plaza in Melbourne {thanks to Jordan}

P7073261.jpg

IMG_5207.jpg

And the end of our trip! made it with ease

So its back in Nz and i have had it complied after a 500 dollar fine i got on the first couple of days back here for driving with dodgy plates!

P9080070.jpg

P9130071.jpg

P9130072.jpg

P9130073.jpg

P9130074.jpg

Plans are to make it fast and make it Low 8) while keeping it reasonably original on outside.

• 3 weeks later...

So yea that batty deal never really worked out/im to impatient so i decided to buy this insted.

also sorted fuel pumps intercooler and working on a turbo right now.

sorry theres no pix coz i still suck at computers but my sister made a link thingy to it

(thanks bro :D )

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =243144557

churrr

• 2 months later...

ok so first of all big thanks to tank for putting a hole heap of photos up for me coz i suck.

have got heaps done over the last few weeks and am almost ready to do the swap,

hopefully putting my old ute back on the road as a daily.

this is what it all looked like when the engine first arrived from Christchurch

PA090075.jpg

PA090076.jpg

after i gave it a clean up and used a custom D1 spec bungy cord to mount the turbo

all manifolds,throttle body,water pump,prity much anything alloy is now high temp semi gloss black

PA300174.jpg

PA300176.jpg

folded up some ally to make a bracket to mount gauges

PB010182.jpg

what it looks like now with my PWR radiator i got off the specials table at repco Alice Springs

PB010195.jpg

dummying up the fuel set up/battery mount

PB200417.jpg

made some new rear struts,stuft up some were though as it now sits 10mm higher than it did before with them right down.

im going to get some new shorter springs made just have to figer out how heavy and how long to make them

PB240423.jpg

PB250425.jpg

some other wheels ive had sitting around for about 4 years now,got bored one day so thought ild see how they would look on the Capella,also got the new fuel line and battery cable run.

PB300500.jpg

PB260429.jpg

PB300502.jpg

boot is now finished just need the pump to be wired up

PC010504.jpg

so yea shes getting there,mite leave it till after new years/jap meet/nats ect till i do the swap, i have prity much all the parts ready to go but im just having to much fun driving around right now to pull her apart 8)

• 3 weeks later...

not much of an up date on this ive been spending most of my spear time on that bloody ute but i took my donk to Waiuku today,it rides prity good with the big wheels on it/its alot more stable but i think the suspension could do with a bit more work some time soon. did have one mishap,hit a good bump in the road and i must not of rolled the guard enough on the left side so the tyre caught and riped a few chunks out of the side wall,the white wall is still good though so im happy,just gave it a qwik tap with a claw hammer i had in the boot on the side of the road

P1080385.jpg

P1080283.jpg

also im still after a series 4/5 rx7 drive shaft yoke and an RX oil cooler of some kind if any one knows of any thing

but other than that im all set to get stuck into it after all the shows/cruses ect hopefully in late January

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so all going to plan should be burgerfuel meet tomorrow,wof on Friday and engine out on Monday? i bought an oil cooler the other day its all nice and shiny,should look a bit better once ive painted it semi gloss black. dam thing cost more than the radiator! also have found a drive shaft yoke and rx2 dash with rev counter. i bought some rx2 hub caps last year and they finally turned up yesterday.i think they look prity sweet now i just need two more for the other side so if any one knows of any??? :D

P1260766.jpg

P1260768.jpg

P1260770.jpg

so i got home from the pub at about 6 this morning and couldnt sleep so thought ild do this

P1300772.jpg

also had to cheeck if my intercooler ive started makeing would fit,still needs a bit of triming on the tanks but im happy with it so far

P1300771.jpg

next thing to do is nock the mounts off the cross member and see were the engine is going to sit

tadar!!!

P2010788.jpg

P2010777.jpg

P2010776.jpg

so it fits... well kinda,its a bit tight becouse of how i want to mount my intercooler/radiator ect but im sure il work some thing out,

big thanks to bunnings for the bungee cords and my next door neighbours fence for the custom wooden engine mounts

churrr :D

• 3 weeks later...

so the crosmember and mounts are now dun,took a bit longer than i thought as im doing it all outside and the wether hasnt been that great.had it cheecked out for cert today also and the guy seems prity happy so far,next thing to do is bild me a sump and start on the turbo manifold

P2060800.jpg

P2160816.jpg

P2160818.jpg

oh and just coz :D

P1210752.jpg

got a bit more done this week,have been a bit lazy though.mounted radiator further back and higher up to make room for the intercooler and also so the oil cooler dosnt hang down so low.got some steel folded up for my sump and started cutting it to make it fit but got borred so thought ild mount the turbo.manifold is now mostly done and tacked up just need to finish off the front runner and find some were to plum the wastegate in

P2200830.jpg

P2210836.jpg

P2210833.jpg

P2200825.jpg

P2200824.jpg

P2200823.jpg

that is all.

pinched a tig welder from a frend of my dads the other day and used it to burn up the exhaust maifold over the weekend,wastegates not realy were i want it to be but i need to plum it back in for cert so dont realy have much choice. also started bilding the turbo dump pipe over the weekend and i will try and see if i can get the dump from the wastegate plumed into it with the help of a few more v-bands tomoro if i dont fall asleep when i get home

P3010838.jpg

P3010837.jpg

P3010839.jpg

P3010840.jpg

• 1 month later...

still tinkering away on this,kinda wish i could just wake up in the morning and some one's done it all for me but hey dreams are free.

waiting on silicon joiners so i can finish the intercooler piping

P4040848.jpg

P4040849.jpg

cut a wee hole so she can get a bit more cold air

P4040850.jpg

sumps prity much done,just gota sort out a dip stick bild a sump gaurd and find a bit more clearince between it and the steering at the back

P4040853.jpg

exhaust is done upto the rear seat

P4040856.jpg

P4040857.jpg

and im going to atempt to make my own mufflers,one for under the rear seat and one a little some thing like this for out the back

P4050859.jpg

P4050861.jpg

cardbord and pvc's probly not realy upto the task so once im happy with them il make them out of stainles.

• 1 month later...

So I think its about time i updated this

I made some mufflers and finished the exhaust

P4160869-1.jpg

P4170879.jpg

P4180881.jpg

P5070931.jpg

P5070938.jpg

P5070941.jpg

I had to cut part of the compressor housing off so there was enuf room for the piping to the intercooler and then ground it out to the same size as the piping

P5050915.jpg

P5050922.jpg

I got some black silicon joiners for the intercooler piping but it was a bit shiney for me so i gave it a qwik scotch before i cut them to fit

P4240885.jpg

Finished the piping but wasnt happy so have changed the cold side since these pics,its all away getting welded up now along with the intercooler end tanks and a few other bits also

P5070923.jpg

P5070928.jpg

Finaly finised the sump,I just need to check it for leaks and give it a coat of paint

P4160873.jpg

I also picked up some more wheels and tyres,i dont think there going to do much for the handling/traction side of things but they should be a bit of fun :lol:

P4240891.jpg

P4250905.jpg

P4250911.jpg

I just need to figer out what colour to do them now. The wethers been a bit stink as of late so I havnt had a chance to do much more work on it but hopefully it should be moveing out to the new shed soon so then il have no excuse.

• 1 month later...

So ive been a bit to bizy working on the shed and other cars lately to do much on this for a wile now

but i got most of my aloy bits back last week so chucked all that back in to make sure it still fits,

could do with a bit of filing/bashing with a hamer but im prity happy with it all.

P6260989.jpg

P6260986.jpg

P6260985.jpg

The intercooler was a SCARLS(?) EVO7 one i got which I cut the end tanks off and made my own to fit,

its 450mm long,320mm high and 90mm thick and I had 50mm to play with on each end for the tanks so

its abit of a tight fit between the radiator shroud but it works.

P6260980.jpg

P6260981.jpg

P6260982.jpg

My dad picked these up from a church fair for $5 brand new in the box with Mazda centre caps even,

I havnt got a jack out at the shed so have not tryed them yet but i think they should look prity

sweet on the wide steels.

P6270991.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

P7051008.jpg

TRIMS!!!

P7051010.jpg

Also made hole for BOV and started messing around with water pipes which got me thinking about maybe going for an electric water pump just to give me a bit more room for the the bottom hose,I hear they can also free up a bit more power and controll water temps better than a normal one? Has any one else on here used one before and if so what did you think of it?

• 2 months later...

Since it was such a nice sunny day today I thought lid get the old girl for a bit,I was sick of seeing it sitting up so high in the front so I gave the springs a bit of a trim, I will be making up some adjustable front struts before it goes back on the road but for now this will do.

P9271388.jpg

I finished side mounting the alternator yesterday and have ordered a new belt to suit,I have also done most of the piping for the electric water pump and will be dropping my radiator off to get the new inlet and outlets welded on tomorrow.

P9271386.jpg

P9271380.jpg

Ive bought a few more sets of wheels for it also, my dad told me that one of his friends had got a spear set of wheels with an old rally car he bought that he didn't want.There 13x6.5 and 7 in 4x114 so I will need adapters to run then but I think they should look prity tough.

P9121371.jpg

I also got a pair of these Dunlops but this is the only picture I can find of them.

P8141099.jpg

All going well il get my radiator back by the end of the week and also some oil lines and then it should prity much be time for the engine to come back out so I can clean up and the engine bay.

Oh and discussion ect

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20102

Picked up radiator this afternoon so had to make sure it still fits, also nocked up some water lines that il drop off to get welded up tomorow. Have orded a bunch more fittings/braided hose to do oil cooler plus turbo feed and return so they should be here some time this week also.

PA041410.jpg

PA041412.jpg

And a bit more paint

PA041413.jpg

Some close up photos of the new wheels in the hope that kyteler can tell me what they are.

PA011406.jpg

PA011402.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I think ive got almost every thing ready for this thing now so it was time for the engine to come back out, did a little more painting first to try a few different effects and I think it came up quite well. Also got a few more bits back from my friendly welder and sorted out all the braided lines for the turbo and oil cooler.

PA111421.jpg

PA161427.jpg

PA161433.jpg

PA171436.jpg

Next up weld up a few holes and then onto some painting 8)