Crazytims Chevini MK 1 (TX Gemini/Vauxhall Chevette Hybrid)

crazytim

Some pics. New g-box mounts, old ones are gone. No going back now!

timisbusyashellonthemcars006.jpg

This is the inside of the car where mounts are welded in place

timisbusyashellonthemcars005.jpg

G-box bracket, only used centre rubber mount chopped out of stock item.

timisbusyashellonthemcars013.jpg

Before/After of rust repair

rustytcargrrrrrrrrr009.jpg

timisbusyashellonthemcars004.jpg

Fruity diff ready for install

timisbusyashellonthemcars009.jpg

timisbusyashellonthemcars010.jpg

• Thanks 1

ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh

Keep finding rust, Troy had doors both repaired when I found some bubbles in outter skin at each bottom corner. Quick strip back with the wire wheel revealing holes... nothing too major but seeing as Troy was just about set to hang the doors back on the old bitch it is a bit of a bummer... and obviously will add a few more dollars to the build, however the idea is for it to be as rust free as possible and I'm only spending $100 or so on a spray bomb satin black paintjob for the time being so not like I need to have wads of cash lined up for painter...

Still don't know how much it's all costing, but once it is all back in my shed and running it will be worth it!

Right... kept forgetting camera, then misplaced camera, finally took with me tonight.

Troy has repaired rust in bottom corners of both doors, (inner and outter skin) doors are back on now. He has removed bumper mount from the good guard, obviously also done all the work above and now he has spun the car around on the hoist and has set to work on her cancerous behind...

Exposed many an old plate welded in under the layers of bog... was not expecting this!

However he is removing it all and rebuilding the stell like it should have been. A couple of the plates (larger ones) are pretty good so will stay and he is gana stitch all around them, rebuild the vanished seams and generally just reshape all that is missing. Very fukn stoked in my choice of fabricator/engineer/mechanic/panel beater... guy is fukn epic, Australia's loss, NZ's gain!

Here is some pics, enjoy peoples!

ItsALIVE057.jpg

This corner is the good one... yipes! Pic taken in morning, when I saw it this evening he had 3/4 finished it all (spot welded in, still needs to seam weld)

ItsALIVE058.jpg

ItsALIVE059.jpg

Middle of boot... already spot welded big plate in...

ItsALIVE060.jpg

The bad corner... looks like a quilt... or frankensteins bottom!

ItsALIVE061.jpg

Oh yeah... it runs now... still need heater hoses, accelerator cable, zorst and brakes hooked up before it is ready to fang!

ItsALIVE068.jpg

ItsALIVE067.jpg

ItsALIVE056.jpg

ItsALIVE066.jpg

Shaved indicator, antenae & bumper mount hole (running chevette bumper, hole in wrong place.)

• 6 months later...

Externally on the rear it is just about finished, all seam welded and mostly ground down and linished. Still needs to add some bits inside the boot that were cut away (or rotted away...) and a few small holes here and there... just been a money juggling act lately, just on labour this car is up to 7k since April and have also spent on all sorts of consumables and parts, carb overhauls etc... I don't want to know how much it will be when finished, if I was to sell would be lucky to get 4k back... should really learn to weld but I'm too dam lazy/busy.

Anyway still desperate for a new drivers side guard. He can make the one I have mint but reckons be 8hrs of work to do so making it a $400 guard... any help with locating a decent guard would be soooo appreciated!

No photo's as one of my short people has stolen the memory card from the feckn camera and haven't got round to buying new one... anyway been saying 'soon' for ages about this car, reckon some time in the new year it will be ripping around, depending on cashflow as am in middle of sorting out a deal on oldnrusty's yellow Rodeo... is there such thing as old car's anonymous?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Right... Chevini is home Troy spent 11-12hrs on it free of charge and fixed the guard. STOKED! Cheers bro!

Anyhow finally pics:

248826_2066827435725_1395961789_32478386_6928559_n.jpg

249574_2066825715682_1395961789_32478381_5127709_n.jpg

253169_2066825835685_1395961789_32478382_2415552_n.jpg

249691_2066825115667_1395961789_32478380_7395549_n.jpg

251302_2066603110117_1395961789_32478145_292598_n.jpg

More later gana start getting all the nitty gritty bits sorted next heater hoses accelerator cable etc etc etc

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

had barely touched this since getting it home, especially after getting red wag on road again, having engine out of green wag/rust work etc etc. Plate has been full.

Anyway dropped it into Als Mufflers last week, new 2" exhaust is now all fitted so last major hurdles are accelerator cable, heater hoses and a few other things to make it drivable... last night wet n dried the whole car and today squirted 5 rattle cans of satin black at her. Thank fuck it is now all one colour!

284530_2274026455571_1395961789_32732204_17022_n.jpg

• 6 months later...

Shit I'm slack... since last post have only had a few sessions trying to buff up the shitty spray bomb paintjob (looks half decent though) reckon one more buff over the drivers side and it will look as good as it will ever look without repainting properly.

Located heater hoses that fit so water is all plumbed up now.

Painted stock steels orange. Look OK with the chrome beauty rings and pie dish caps.

Finally managed to remove bonnet badge from rusty old bonnet. Cleaned it up today, apart from where someone hit it with a sander looks nice. Hard to find item...

Still need to do: (list is boring and more for me than any of you)

Mod front bumper brackets, put bumpers on (Chevette items front and rear)

Accelerator cable and bracket fabricated.

Bit of engine wiring, hopefully have someone lined up for this when he has spare time.

Add clamps to fuel hose on underbody... anyone know how far apart these need to be?

Remove fuel tank so external seal can be fitted... doh

Put carpet back in, refix door cards properly, sill guards, trims etc etc blah

Clean up seats and re install.

Hopefully getting a Manta steering wheel for Brads car, bosskit and wheel from that will go here..

Need chop rear springs, obtain shocks to suit.

Clean paint overspray and 30yrs of yuck from glass.

Fit CD head deck... cassette deck face plate is AWOL.

Purchase/find/steal a new battery.

Tune the Webers.

WoF - Reg - Skids on!

chevinimmm.jpg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Still need to do: (list is boring and more for me than any of you)

Mod front bumper brackets, put bumpers on (Chevette items front and rear) Done last night, Thanks Troy!

Accelerator cable and bracket fabricated. Done Thanks Troy!

Bit of engine wiring, hopefully have someone lined up for this when he has spare time. Mostly done... needs dodgy choc block repair of loom sorted and relay added for altenator charging duties

Add clamps to fuel hose on underbody... anyone know how far apart these need to be? Done

Remove fuel tank so external seal can be fitted... doh Done

Put carpet back in, refix door cards properly, sill guards, trims etc etc blah Carpet and cards are in

Clean up seats and re install. Put old seats in

Hopefully getting a Manta steering wheel for Brads car, bosskit and wheel from that will go here..

Need chop rear springs, obtain shocks to suit. Done

Clean paint overspray and 30yrs of yuck from glass.

Fit CD head deck... cassette deck face plate is AWOL.

Purchase/find/steal a new battery.

Tune the Webers.

WoF - Reg - Skids on!

chevinimmm.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Road tripped with my wife & kids to Taranaki... dailied until the law green stickered it Anzac Day 2014... hadn't started since doing a mass skid at a Party in October... got her humming again night before Nats and drove it down the Coromandel for gay old times with my fave weirdos ever.

Pics and other stuffs way overdue. OS... I'm back

• Like 2