fuel

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

What trans and diff are you using?

still the factory borg warner, with a 4 spider lsd from a commodore, the trans is a 904 $300 special off trademe, that works well so far, shifts good, doesnt slip or leak etc....... long term plan is build a tough 727 and minitubs/9" diff. couldnt afford to do it all at once.

what sorta neddies you estimate once its tuned?

dunno really had 400-450hp in mind when i started, should be able to make that and still be reliable. will be interesting to see what it does at the drags.

thanks guys

[quote name="cletusstill the factory borg warner' date=' with a 4 spider lsd from a commodore, the trans is a 904 $300 special off trademe, that works well so far, shifts good, doesnt slip or leak etc....... long term plan is build a tough 727 and minitubs/9" diff. couldnt afford to do it all at once.

[/quote]

Cool. I had a mental picture of smoking bits of Borg warner 35 all over the road.

Does the diff have 25 spline axles? I want to get my AP5 out now.

Good work, I bet you are glad to have it certed.

yep still 25 spline i talked to tony at steelie gears about that,he put the lsd in it, he reckons being turbo and auto it shouldnt be too hard on axles. the trans does shift quite hard so ill keep an eye on them. i put a shift kit in a previous v8 vg i had and i used to pull the axles out now and then to check them and over a year of hard use it did twist the splines a bit, never broke one though. Small tyres will help too its only got 205s on it at the moment

Yeah all true, 205s would bake like mad wouldn't they?

I read something somewhere about using a Falcon 28 spline diff with one tube cut and two factory short axles being 10mm wider than standard VG. I think I will try it if my 25 spline dies.

Not much help if you are going 9" though.

Some of those shift kits are pretty marginal too, they make the trans really bang into gear.

It's actually quite easy to move the leaf springs inboard on these vals, which free's up lots of space for rubber. There was a really sweet blue VG from nelson with a 440 running at the nitro sunday meet at ruapuna which had had this mod.

The poxy local content laws that the Aussies had have made life hard (read expensive) for people like us.

Don't be too quick to go 9" though. I've heard of guys running 11's with the Type 78 diff running the four spider center and 28 spline axles. And people have run slower after going the the ford diff due to the increased driveline losses. But that said constant breakages suck the sweat off a dead dogs balls.

• 3 months later...

Awesome looking build :salute:

Do you have any videos of the car running? Does it still sound like a V8? Sounds a stupid question but, I always wondered whether the turbo would quieten the eight down at idle.

Cheers