• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

righto

needs some tidy up work to make it nicer to drive

fixed leaky rocker cover and bung old heater hoses

stevie wonder must work at the place that gave it a wof...... non existant suspension bushes and crumbly old original brake hoses from 1971

so new bushes shocks and hoses done. cranking of torsions and applying of lowering blocks. now it goes where i steer it rather than where it wants to.

removed floodmaps and tow bar

painted wheels

polished surface rust off bumpers

put some better tyres on

work030.jpg

work035.jpg

• 1 month later...

got some new wheels thanks Jason (lowrota)

205 70 14 on the back and 195 60 14 on the front for some bogan rake

valwheels005.jpg

valwheels001.jpg

battery tray was all rusty so moved the battery to the boot, and with the v8 engine offset as per factory makes for a nice big space for a turbo to live in

• 10 months later...

Have made a bit of progress with this thing

Building a turbo 318 for it, alloy heads, steel crank, scat rods, forged pistons, garrett gt4082, 60mm w/gate

just need cam and lifters and engine can go together

pulled out 245, done turbo pipes and exhaust, intercooler, tidied underside, chassis connectors, mod fuel tank, shifter

next job is engine bay paint

30510145.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

engine 90% assembled just rocker gear to go on, painted, bunged into enginehole. Was going to paint engine red as per factory but started painting it and it looked too RED so went with a lovely industrial shade of grey

carb on its way from aussie

still got to get ignition/fuelpump/reg/ a million little things

and sort out diff

this engine should be a good test for the trademe timebomb torqueflite- supposedly rebuilt 10 years ago and not used much. not expecting it to last too long. only got small tyres so hoping they are the weakest link

101010081.jpg

101010084.jpg

• 3 months later...

some progress.

been a bit slow due to wallet stress but have got most of the expensive bits sorted. engine all together, wiring 90% done, radiator mounted and made hoses, exhaust done, doing intercooler pipes now, diffs got new lsd in it.

fuel lines, regulator, oil lines for turbo, and a couple of things for the trans to go then can kick in guts/do a skid

dscf7729.jpg

dscf7733h.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got it running last weekend, run the cam in, took for a drive. Got a bit of tuning to do, it will use all of the worlds oil reserves if i dont sort the carb out soon haha. will do a few more miles then have to pull exhaust manifolds off to retorque heads, fit inner valve springs, wind some more boost in, will get tuning close on the road then onto a dyno to finish.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

went to drags and broke 2x rockers. pulled it apart today, total damage 2 rockers with pushrods poking thru, another 5 with hairline cracks around the pushrod cup, 1 pushrod bent. had a few spares so replaced them all....wil have to take it easy on it till i can get some flash stronger ones.

• 5 months later...

been a while.....can finally post pics now!

got some roller rockers, had some 15" rims made up for the rear to run et street tyres. went to fathers day drags. went 13.3 @105mph, still on 5psi boost.

2.92 gears= 6000rpm in 2nd gear across the line. dont really want to put low gears in it cause with normal wheels on its good.

046yz.jpg

047en.jpg

• 4 months later...

Sent carb away to a guy in Oz to sort out, still waiting to get it back, got sick of not being able to drive it. So i bought a shitty old 600DP holley for it off trade me.

stripped it, fixed all the fucked parts, milled choke tower off, drilled out power valve restrictors, jetted to suit.

spent a few hours with a wideband hooked up to it today, the shitty old home built holley works better than the flash ''designed for blowthrough" Demon carb ever did.

drives much better and is better mixture wise under boost.

Hopefully the modded Demon works as good as this when i get it back.......

Anybody trying to do something similar, these are handy websites to look at...

http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html

http://www.theturboforums.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

21311156.jpg

21311155.jpg

found some pics of underneath.....before it got covered in oil/road shit/rubber etc

oh and its got some wide steels now, still got other wheels so i can swap when it suits

10412234.jpg

10412232.jpg

and inside, got some new gauges, originally had an auto meter sport comp tacho i bought off trade me, which turned out to be a fake china copy.

10412226.jpg

Got carb back as well. Runs nice now, upped boost to 8psi for now.

• 3 weeks later...

went to drags at meremere today

first run, scary, no traction cold track, 14.something

second run a bit better, a pigeon flew thru the traps before i got there so i have an 8 second timeslip for that one

third, gave it more death in the burnout to get some temp in the tyres. that worked, no more traction issues. 12.7@107mph

fourth run was best of the day 12.66@108mph

fifth run got knocked out of dyo round one, 12.8 on a 12.6 dial in. didnt really care as was stoked to get in the 12s

• 3 months later...

not much done on this lately, been busy working on the ute.

did go to fathers day drags, improved best time slightly to a 12.61 @109

have put tridens back on for now, have pinched the eagers for the ute- they look better on the wider rims, which wont fit on the VG. put some skid tyres on the wide VG steels- 165/70/14 on a 7 1/2 rim, looks funny. should smoke those up well.

39914942944981710063719.jpg

64460973.png

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

went to the drags again, boost at 10psi now, did a 12.4@110mph.

pulled axles to check splines and the lh one is just starting to show signs of twisting

next plan is to do some suspension tuning, it gets a big lean on hard launches, might look at making some caltrac style traction bars

14466_diagram.jpg

• Like 5