Threaded sleeve for adjustable suspension options???

Gaz

so you will have a 3mm gap in which to put a threaded sleeve lol. its getting fairly close but you may squeeze it in there. you will have to make up your own threaded sections and seats. bonus being you wont have to locate the spring at the bottom. as it cant go anywhere lol

what's the thread pitch of those nuts ? 1.5 ?? ... if so you wont get to full thread depth before you break though .. and in this case .. id want at least 2mm of wall left you may get away with a 1mm base dimension .. so you would need 5mm overall to make it work .....just IMO

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so spring dimensions are ID not OD ... my bad .. prolly half asleep

if you all need the same size tube and want quantity .. once you have the tube set-up and can just part and thread .... it would take 4 pass's to cut the full form .. so lees than 5 mins to cut thread and part each tube ..... could be well worth pricing .. if you have the numbers

i take it you guys arn't worried about the threads rusting over time? the threaded sections you buy at geogre stocks are cad plated, although some burns off when welding it on. I thought they had two options in length, one at about 100mm and the other longer, i always thought springs had to be captive when adjusted down for a cert so never bothered with longer versions just in case they undid themselves, but im probally wrong.

cut and shorten the tubes with two bits of angle iron is how i normally do it

i tryed threading up some tube on the lath then used some big nuts from steel and tube, but they were cast and the threads didnt hold, needed a finer pitch for more strength

Gaz, you can play with my springs after you give me back my brakes :twisted::D(no rush, I don't need them til October)

Oh yeah had forgoten bout them, my car only came back from painters last weeked, its been in there since wedding cause I wasnt happy with the job they did. Anyways I have the 4pots sorted so will swap em over this weekend when Im home and bring ya shiz back sometime over weekend. Prob should grab that wedding DVD too and prob have a beer I guess :mrgreen:

Gaz

nah, the whole reason is to fit inside a 2.25"spring. so you go any bigger than 57mm and the spring wont fit over the threaded section. thats why I reccomend he go buy some 2.5" springs. gives you a fuckload more breathing room

Just for the record the I/D of a threaded sleeve to accept a 2.25 inch spring is 50mm and the O/D 55mm.

My struts are 50.9mm O/D with paint on them.

I am going to fit the 2.25 inch platforms. I ordered them today. Two 400mm weld on steel threaded tubes and the alloy lock nuts and platforms are a bit over $200.

I bit of strut paint removal, a light hone of the threaded tube and 15 minutes in the oven should have the tubes on my struts I reckon.

Pics later when I can be arsed

Yeap im going to 2.5 inch springs too.

Going to use the 55mm KM nut and then make a bottom cup from a flat washer and a peice of 2.5inch exhaust tube. The exhaust tube will locate the spring up the centre.

Then going to turn up some top hats which shouldnt be too hard, this will also fix my problem of my larger dia adjustable top plates as a spacer sleeve can be incorporated into the topcup easily.

OR. what ya doing with ya 2.25" threaded tube of your existing struts UJ?

Gaz

OR. what ya doing with ya 2.25" threaded tube of your existing struts UJ?

Gaz

Do you mean my existing 2.5 inch tube and nuts? If so I imagine I could be persuaded to part ith them but I am not going to get a chance to do bugger all on the Cortina for another week or so.

Oh my thinking was wrong. Why ya getting a new full set if all you needed was springs?

Gaz

I am changing from 2.5 inch diameter springs to 2.25 inch diameter springs so I need new platforms.

I am making the change because I accidently ordered 2.25 inch springs and my new strut tops came to suit a 2.25 inch spring so the easiest option is to change the platforms to match the rest of the stuff. I bought new strut tops because my existing ones took up too much suspension travel.

It suits me as I needed to move the 2.5 inch platforms on the struts anyway so there is no additional work, just an additional $200

Yeap im going to 2.5 inch springs too.

So - don't you need 2.5 inch platforms??

You are confusing the fuck out of me.

I will have a spare pair of 2.5 " threaded tubes, nuts, platforms and top caps in a week or two (and a pair of 400lbs springs to suit). I will probably put them on the market if you don't want them.