Vintage Grumbles AE86

Brock-Lee

Just to put the Redline stuff into perspective, I have a friend who runs a circuit car in a track / road race series. The car weighs 1380kgs, produces 780hp and 650ft lbs of torque and the car runs 11" wide semi / slick tyres - he uses Redline diff oil exclusively. I have also had success with Penzoil LSD oil. Hope this helps

• Like 1

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We run the Redline shockproof stuff in our race car, its pretty much got 3.5 4AGE'S in it.

The only issue we have ever had with our diff was once when it spat a gasket and the oil fell out, even then it was the end of the season and the oil that fell out was still the original colour!

• Like 1

Yep, 99.9% sure its all down to the oil being complete fucking rubbish. Everything still measures up sweet. The dilemma I now face is, do I clean it out and put it back in with fresh oil and see what happens, or rebuild it with the old 4.3 CW&P?  

While driving back from Taupo, and listening to the high pitch whine (way higher pitch than std diff whine) to me it sounded like it was running dry, which is why I suspected bung oil. Cant decide if new oil will shut it up, or the CW&P has got too hot and is now rooted.

Overfill it by lots. I cram 2L into mine through an extra filter hole above the head.

That looks like it'll eventually die of death though, been through that stage a few times... Push on and see what happens.

For good oil, PM ogre.

• Like 1

Overfill it by lots. I cram 2L into mine through an extra filter hole above the head.

That looks like it'll eventually die of death though, been through that stage a few times... Push on and see what happens.

For good oil, PM ogre.

Yeh, its defiantly taken a lot of time off its life, but it hasn't picked up/pitted/peeled any steel off, so I have a faint glimmer of hope that it will be ok. What brand does Ogre do? Total?

or since diff apart. jack one side up and pour oil down axle hole.

That's a bloody good idea. I guess over filling cant really hurt anything when it comes to oil. With grease over filling kills shit faster.

It'll run cooler with extra oil and you don't need to worry as much about the oil running away from the gears... I used to run the standard amount and it would burn crownwheels quickly because the oil ends up down one of the tubes in long corners. 

Ogre does Total and I've been using it for the last few fills. My experience so far is A++ would trade again. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...