Vintage Grumble's 1984 Toyota Corolla AE86

Whilst cleaning the scum out of the interior today, I discovered the rear front seat mounts (if that makes sense?) are ripping out of the car. Time to lay off the pies/retrieve my welder.

2013-05-08_17-07-18_292_zps411e500c.jpg

2013-05-08_17-06-50_595_zps71c31813.jpg

Also, waxed its cavities, which you can clearly see in this shot,

2013-05-08_14-16-22_757_zps55af2cab.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A mediocre start to the day, went to fit the new seat rails to the drivers seat (I had to weld the old ones up, or was not able to do track days) and find that they are quite different. AE85 ones (which is what I got) have less adjustments, are shorter, and only lock on one side, not both, gah! So that plans gone down the shitter. Also lol'ed at seat rail bending under my fat ass, I think my cars telling me to lose weight, ha.

Top one is welded up 86 rail, bottom 85:

2013-05-09_11-08-16_317_zps713e7407.jpg

Left one 85, right 86 (I never welded this side, so is still ok, but I cant swap the above rail over, as its too short/missing a few needed bits)

2013-05-09_11-10-52_324_zps9a37ef86.jpg

I've emailed Toyota to see what a new set is worth (will either be millions or no longer available like most 86 parts)The other option is to slap a racetech seat back in (its certed for one) I tried this years ago, but the seat I got was too restrictive on my legs, and put me in the back seat basically (i'm 6'4) so the belt hovered in front of me, and I could just touch the wheel. I've email racetech as they do a road spec seat now, which should work, but I bet it aint cheap.

Operation "Restrain Fatty" has been a success! I welded up all the cracks in the seat mounts, added in a few welds on one mount (They seem to have been missing from factory? Lazy robot/Japanese person at the plant I guess) and then welded some thick washers over the area to disperse the load/weight. Managed to not set the car on fire even once!

2013-05-13_12-25-54_671_zpsf1889d25.jpg

2013-05-13_12-26-05_948_zps88bbc46f.jpg

• Like 1

Another dull lunch update. Still cleaning and fitting interior parts. Kids, dont leave bits laying around for 4 years, they get kinda dirty,

2013-05-15_15-40-25_17_zps62ff8e1d.jpg

2013-05-15_15-41-02_726_zpsdd6a2f52.jpg

I've been fixing up lots of things as I go, cleaning up over spray, aligning the doors, repainting parts, and fixing trims I broke while removing them. I plastic welded the trims back together, roughed up the area around the repair, and then applied a single layer of fiberglass to strengthen it, hopefully my old as buggery resin sets! Two of the trims repaired,

2013-05-16_12-32-58_367_zps54a99b84.jpg

I hope to have 90% of the interior finished by friday arvo, then will arrange for it go back to the painters when I return to work.

One thing that bothers me tho, is the motor seems to have a bit of a miss/be running a bit rough at certain revs/load, sounds electrical to me, so will have to look into that. Hopefully the motors still ok after its long nap.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, car went back to the painters Tuesday morning to be fixed up, just went and viwed it again as its finished. I have come to the conclusion the painter is largely blind, and not overly skilled. The fix up work is fairly shit, and not much better than it was before (He seemed to think he fixed a dent in the steel by blocking back the paint? wat?) Its been touched up three times now, so I give up, and will just have to learn to live with the mediocre paint jhob, and never use them again.

But on the bright side, I will have it back tomorrow, and back on the road within a few weeks!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A small set back tonight, on the road to skids. I fitted the sunroof (its a fiberglass after market item) with no shims, so its as low in the roof as it can go, and apon retracting it into the roof, it gouged a set of dirty big lines in the paint/fiberglass. When I got the car the roof already had these gouges in it, I assumed someone had over shimmed it (making it to high/close to the inside of the roof) at some point, but it turns out the after market sunroof is just too thick. It took an hour to get the rubber seal off (stuck on with resin, will take hours just to clean up the seal) so I cound see the join, and theres no way I can split the two parts of the sunroof, so I will have to grind it down to the correct thickness, and then glass up any holes/thin parts, and have it repainted. No biggie, but will take quite a bit of work to fix.

2013-06-10_21-06-49_193_zps1d42c4ce.jpg

2013-06-10_21-06-18_93_zps7274c56c.jpg

2013-06-10_21-01-22_300_zpsb8c0c175.jpg

On an up side, a chap came round and took a few seconds to refit the rear screen. I then fitted one of the most important parts in any OS build, the oldschool.co.ng sticker, zeow!

2013-06-10_21-27-07_640_zpsbb5978e8.jpg

Disgust: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/25550-vintage-grumbles-ae86/page-8

• 2 months later...

Rite, well the wifes in Bali, so i'm hungry and horny, and i'm waiting for some bog to dry (in that mother fucker of a sun roof) so thought i'd update this crap fest. The car is finished, apart from the sun roof and side skirts need painting. I had a week off work and got stuck in, cleaned and reassembled  the whole thang (have sorted billions of little things that have always annoyed me) and have just finished changing the oil+filter, coolant, brake and clutch fluids, and water blasting the engine bay. Here are some super crappy phone pics of shit,

Clean engine, bay.

2013-08-25_15-51-26_851_zpsee2f0bda.jpg

New stickers fresh from Ireland. (The side ones shouldnt have a  "v" at the end, not sure if I will even use them/if its meant to have them)

2013-08-25_17-36-55_884_zps93259518.jpg

Recovered back seat tops. (got this done for free, jher!)

2013-08-25_15-57-43_54_zps3cfd1587.jpg

Had these gauges for ages, but pic cos they so fucken sexy.

2013-08-25_15-56-11_935_zpsd233981c.jpg

TRD gear knob I got myself for xmas many years ago, and freshly painted hand brake.

2013-08-25_15-54-35_991_zps70b43c48.jpg

New mats and twin strap fire puterouterer.

2013-08-25_15-53-51_608_zpsb0f11e61.jpg

Wat up ants, get the fuck out my washer bottle.

2013-08-16_14-15-45_101_zps3b6b2dbe.jpg

Before and after of refurbed corner lights. Also had to open up the head lights and do the same.

2013-08-15_09-20-21_463_zps446409f0.jpg

Now if only the sun roof would stop being a cunt faced whore (bunnings can get fucked also) I could get this hoe bag on the road. I did take it for a little drive on sat, and by golly, I was smiling so hard, I shat a little.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

This sunroof is the devil. After the original painting, it got owned while retracting into the roof cavity, as it was too thick. So I ground/sanded it down till it would fit, but then the fiberglass was too thin, so I cut out a few sections and laid in some fiber+resin. This never fully set due to being too old, but set enough that it was a total whore to dig out. I then got some new resin and hardener from Bunnings. Laid this up, and this also would not set (made a few batches just to make sure it was off) so once again I had to dig it all back out. I got the shits and purchased hairy bog, and slammed that in there, but there was still enough unset resin under the bog to keep fucking shit up. After many, many, many hours trying to get it all looking rite, I took it back to the painter who painted the car, and told him not to block it back too much. He blocked it back too much, and you could see all sorts of lines and shapes under the paint. I had had enought of him (The paint on the car still pisses me off TBH) so took it to another painter in Whakatane, he reckoned he could sort it easy as. He kept telling me to come pick it up on a certian day, but it was never ready when I rocked up (Tried four times to collect it) So I went there this morning to pick it up, and wham, its way more fucked then it was before. FUUUUCCCCK. Painter reckons it was sweet as till he baked it, and then everything sank. Hes going to have another go at it, but i'm really starting to doubt it will ever stop being a cunt, due to the unset resin residue.

Pointless rant post, but fuck, give a nigger a break.

Pic for Fred:

4976_1170021735007_1906880_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Was sunny the other day (STILL dont have a sunroof) so went for a hoon, and this thang started running like a bag of dicks. It has not seemed quite rite since its been back on the road, but on this run it was randomly cutting out, sometimes it wouldnt go over 6g, and doing all sorts of ill shit. I got a compression tester, and it was pumping out 305 psi on all four, so that was a good start. SOOO I got the bro-in-laws wide band, slapped it in, and we went out testing.

Wide band doofer chilling out:

2013-09-28_09-18-10_557_zps7f27bd50.jpg

It was running sweet as a grape to start with, and everything checked out fine. but when we got onto a twisty road where lots of engine braking went down, we noticed it was going rich as fuck when I backed off the welly. We then wondered if it was fouling the plugs? The plugs needed replacing anyways, so slapped in a new set, but it made no difference. We then ran through everything it could be, and decided it must be something to do with fuel pressure. I was just about to fit a gauge to the rail, when the bro-in-law touched the vac line to the regulator, and it fell off..... ha.

Busted:

2013-09-28_13-56-10_890_zps721bb8ba.jpg

Cut that bit off, went testing, ran sweet as THANK FUCK. Felt a bit silly, as we had spent about two hours testing shit and trying to fig out what the hell was going on, but i'm super glad it was such an easy fix.

Took some dort vids, but youtubes being a fuck.

• Like 2

Also changed the fuel filter (prolly 29 years old) and grey slime came out of it, haha. (note: other crap in bowl was already there)

2013-10-01_21-00-47_46_zpsd7dad770.jpg

And I now know that the engine will only cut out when dorting out of tight right handers, so I guess it has to be fuel surge or a loose wire somewhere. Will fit pressure gauge on fuel rail and see what happens.

• Like 3

OK, so this thang is getting fuel surge, which is a pain, as I use it on track a fair bit, and want to set it up to be mean as at gym/motorkhanaing (is that a word?). I think I will have to slap in some kind of surge tank set up. I dont want it in the boot, and I dont want it to be loud as piss, so my current idea is to have an intank pump inside the surge tank itself, which I will somehow fit under the car, or in the petrol tank, which may be tricky, as (from memory) only has one small opening in it. If anyone has any info on such a set up, or how others have done it in a tank like mine, that would be chur.

Just so its not a pictureless update, and as its kind of related (and may even be causing the problem, ha) heres some pics of how I replaced the original pump, with one from an AE101 when the original died.

Original on left, 20V AE101 set up on right.

DSC08117.jpg

I just cut the cradle off the 20v hanger, and bolted it to the 86 hanger (as the pumps much smaller) and WHAM, done. Its exactly the same length as the original, and sits in the same place, facing the same way, so cant really see how this would cause the surge problem?

DSC08121.jpg

I assume that because theres a return rite next to the pick up, the 86 tank has a little anti surge bowl inside?

Like I say, info and idea on how to best set this up would be lovely.

Chit chat:

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/25550-vintage-grumbles-ae86/page-13

Regards, VG.

Just popped over to scenic Tokoroa, and met up with mega GC Rob, and collected these little beauties from him,

Fair dinkum new old stock sunroof panel,

2013-10-12_22-44-47_775_zpsf4494c0c.jpg

2013-10-12_22-45-37_359_zps1bd56ae2.jpg

And the grill badge i've been half assedly looking for, for near on 7 years,

2013-10-12_22-47-07_866_zps57e1252d.jpg

SO FUCKING STOKED!!

HUGE, HUGE thanks to Rob for collecting these items in OZ and bringing them all the way over here for me, I cant thank him enough for doing this, you bloody beauty!!

Regards, VG.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hiiiiiiiiii, sunroof has been painted, and the seal is glued on,

2013-10-23_11-48-36_960_zpsf101f34c.jpg

I gave it a good cavity waxing inside, which was a bit tricky, but using a flap of rubber, a syringe, and a length of heat shrink (only tube I had small enough to get through the gaps) I managed to get into all the nooks and crannies,

DSC03642_zps803b3d68.jpg

Hopefully the wax wont remelt when hot and run back out (prolly will/rain wax inside the car) I have it in the sun, up the rite way now, to see if anything comes back out. Just waiting for the paint to dry on a steel strip that holds the rubber at the back down, and then it can go back in, hopefully ending the sunroof saga.

The other thing i've been working on is building up the LSD head with the 4.6 cogs in it,

2013-09-03_22-03-34_733_zps93018fbf.jpg

DSC03634_zps3633942b.jpg

DSC03636_zpscdb7f308.jpg

The LSD seems to be in very good nick, which is great as I purchased it second hand, several years ago. One thing i'm not sure about tho, the factory crown wheels have lock tabs on the bolts, but it seems on the LSD's you use some sort of thread locker, as the tabs dont really fit in the recesses. I'm an old fashioned kinda girl, and dont really like the idea of not using lock tabs, as I know of a few cases where the thread locker has failed due to heat/oil and destroyed peoples diffs/gearboxes. I think I may just torque the bolts up and losen them a few times to bend the tabs into shape? You can see the problem here,

2013-10-23_11-47-14_601_zps1d34145a.jpg

ALSO, I finally got time to whip the tank out, and as far as I can see, the only thing that could be causing the surge issue is scum. I cleaned the fuck out of the tank before I put it in, and the gas was coming out clean, but I guess it took a while for some scum to loosen/soften up or some shit, because theres a clay like substance all through the tank. The gas is even cloudy. It comes out clean at the other end tho, so the filter and pick up sock must do a good job. The tank has a good baffle system, and a good sized surge tank thing, but the only way the gas can get into the surge tank is through a single 10mm id tube, about a foot long. I wonder if the scum is partially blocking this as it floats around in there. The filter sock was also half covered in scum, so that wouldnt help. I measured the depth of the tank, and where the pump sits, and the pick up would be rite against the bottom of the tank, so that wont be the cause.

2013-10-23_11-32-30_890_zpsdfcd719e.jpg

2013-10-23_11-32-25_418_zps4ac55219.jpg

2013-10-23_11-41-06_593_zpsf037e426.jpg

2013-10-23_11-39-19_139_zps84602216.jpg

2013-10-23_11-40-38_271_zps2c822837.jpg

SOOOOO I will just have to clean everything out SUUUUPPPPPEEEEERRRRR hard core, and slap it back in, and see what happens.

Also also, if anyone happens to have one of these laying about, i'm in need of one, but will buy extras,

2012-09-02_17-42-44_589_zps9b56b111.jpg

Pow wow = //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/25550-vintage-grumbles-ae86/page-14

Jolly good, VG.

xoxox

• Like 2