Manda's 1970 Ford Cortina GTE

Manda

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have that same sidedraught manifold and for the life of me I cant make it clear the dizzy. is yours running a side exit dizzy cap? or a diff/aftermarket distributor?

I had the same one too, is it on a 1300 or 1600?

Put the leads on after fitting the manifold, it is tight but they do fit.

^ $10 says the heater doesn't get very warm :shock::badgrin:

I would also get Dad to check that there is a PCV valve in that vacuum hose that comes off the inlet manifold. It doesn't look like you have servo assisted brakes so I am guessing the vacuum line just goes into the block breather. If it does not have a PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation) then you have a vacuum leak into #1 cylinder which will be giving you tuning issues that you can't fix (rough running, starnge idle etc.)

Also get him to check that the red clutch fluid line is anchored well away from the headers. It is common to loose your clutch when that plactic line gets melted by an aftermarket exhaust

Nice car Manda. Well done

Is it common for the heaters to not get very warm in these cars?

It has power assisted brakes. They're off an Austin Princess apparently. We have checked the clutch fluid line and it is all good. Thanks for your help :)

Here's a better pic of the engine bay

car090.jpg

It has power assisted brakes. They're off an Austin Princess apparently.

:lol: It is when the water lines aren't connected!

That looks like a Hillman Hunter remote booster.

It has power assisted brakes. They're off an Austin Princess apparently.

:lol: It is when the water lines aren't connected!

That looks like a Hillman Hunter remote booster.

Lols. Yeah - with the new photo the brake booster can be seen. It does look a bit like a VH40 or something like that as found on Hunters.

As Raizer points out the heater has been bypassed. Perhaps because the heater core leaks or perhaps the previous owner just ran out of hose.

It is a neat car Manda. Someone went to a lot of effort and expense on it.

Yea it was done up and put in a museum a few years ago. Im pretty happy with it...except for the leaks that I dont know where the water is coming in inside the car and the leaks from the engine...haha. It still goes :)

As Raizer points out the heater has been bypassed. Perhaps because the heater core leaks or perhaps the previous owner just ran out of hose.

From memory that model manifold doesn't have a bit to drill and tap for the water line for the heater.

From memory that model manifold doesn't have a bit to drill and tap for the water line for the heater.

Were the factory manifolds water heated?
So where does it come back in then?
One heater water line will come off the waterpump. I can see where it is pluged in the photo. The other line would either run to a fitting on the head or side of the block on a pre-crossflow motor. I don't know about the crossflow though so Raizer will have to answer that bit :D

Were the factory manifolds water heated?
So where does it come back in then?
One heater water line will come off the waterpump. I can see where it is pluged in the photo. The other line would either run to a fitting on the head or side of the block on a pre-crossflow motor. I don't know about the crossflow though so Raizer will have to answer that bit :D

The stock manifolds have a fitting between port 2 and 3, it goes into the water passage of the head.

Some of those side draft manifolds aren't thick enough to reliably hold a pressurized fitting.

87316945full.jpg

i have a pic of one with the heater core plummed up correctly, I will find it for you, the heater core is most likely stuffed, they crack around the base of the pipes. last one cost me $30 to flush and re-solder at the radiator shop, the worst thing is taking them out, you have to remove the heater box from up under the dash... its a real pain... also that long plastic piece looks like it goes on the bottom of the heater to direct the air out...

oh and also i only have a spare brown console, it is missing most of the plastic covers etc... but has a clock... let me know if you are keen and i can get some pics of that too...

cheers