Spencers '95 RM125

Spencer

Purchased this a few weeks ago of a friend of mine in taupo, It had a blown 125 engine in it which was sold for parts which recovered all the costs on the frame. Its been setup for a xr200 engine which gives it a easy smooth power curve for someone of my skill level but has full suspension travel of a moto X bike. My mate bought a new 125 and wanted a new project so he took his bored and worked xr200 engine out of this bike and sold it to me for very cheaps

dsc02137small.jpg

It has a suspension tech re-valved front fork, Ohlins rear shock, new custom graphics and plastics from the states, steering head and swing arm bearings done and a new cushy seat as I'll be sitting down way to much

dsc02138small.jpg

dsc02139small.jpg

The whole lower frame has been cut out and a custom one bent up to fit the taller 4 stroke

dsc02140small.jpg

I manged to score a full engine in bits from my cousin/uncle who own a bike shop. So far Ive pulled it fully down and removed all the bearings ready to bead blast the crankcase. Ive purchased a high comp overbore wisco piston and matching barrel and plan to get a cam later on. The head I was given is shot so Ive sorted another and plan to do a mild port and fit an oversize exhaust valve. Bike came with a e-bay brand new mikuni flat slide carb perfect for drilling jets and getting some methanol in it. Anyway here's the engine in boxes

dsc02142small.jpg

dsc02141small.jpg

Yea there great little engines, parts are so cheap to hot them up. Biggest problem is getting rid of the heat, being air cooled they can get real hot and a oil cooler is a must if riding them real hard even more so with mods. The turbo one heat siezed even with a large oil cooler, it now has one that sits behind the front number plate and is massive at a solid 110 degrees now.

The ATC200 engines are the same thing, They actually have bigger fins on the barrel and head so are more desirable for a mooded xr200 engine. Keen to dyno it when but the guy my mates use doesnt like meth bikes on his dyno

Can vouch for old Honda reliability.

I got a early 90's XR-250R. 4 valve thing. Oil cooler etc.

First kick it goes every time. Can do heaps of kays to a tank on trail rides.

Would never own a 2 stroke.

That combination of motor and bike will be sweet. I used to work for a guy rebuilding / modifying MX suspension with RG3 valve setups. The Showa suspension on Honda's and Suzuki's is far superior to the KYB's on Yamaha's and the odd ball rubbish KTM have.

Hardest part is finding someone local to ride with.

i love it when people ask me how to make a honda 200 go faster. the answer i give is buy a two stroke. xr200's are a great bike. ive got an '01 and is stock. i race road bikes round ruapuna and have a gl145 bucket racer. now all models of honda are different, all of them. an atc200 has low comp head and piston cam and other shit.xl and xr are two different engines al together as your probley awear. now you got the flat slide but it wont work untill hi rev range. for this you need the yoshi cam grind. mark my words, you will thank me for this!. slightly heavy springs and porting. dont go bigger on the inlet side, but go crazy on the exhaust. hondas love to breath.good luck with the whole project man, but remember its still only an xr, and a dirt bike. if you make it a rocket it will be hard to ride , and if you hot it up to much i have no dought it will bend a valve some where in the arsehole of no where and you'll be walking along way.keep it simple just like mr honda did........ :mrgreen:

Coool man, chucking thumpers into decent frames is well sweet. The old XR motors go well with some tickling, my uncles right into them, has one thats out to 230cc in a kind of hybrid CR/XR frame setup, and a methanol fuelled XL350 VMX bike that owns the shit out of big capacity 2 smokes.

Watching/wishing I had another bike :(

• 1 year later...

So with me moving if anyone was interested this is possibly up for grabs or possibly will store it. Rebuilt the motor earlier in the year, New rod kit and seals throughout, all casings are bead blasted and clear coated with POR15 clear coat stuff (This shits real tough). Turned it over and it has spark, I'm missing a few bits, ordered a new front sprocket just need to fit and put a chain on, then the crab needs to be chucked on and a tune. Not really interested in advertising it on TM etc, so I'd store it if I have to, just thought someone may be interested, excellent learner bike, nice flat power delivery with sweet handling and suspension would be after ~1k as is