Tortrons GN

tortron

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Chris.QCR said:

M8 ive got a CT that does everything your GN can do but look cool while doing it.

Lets see your CT use 5th gear.

More info on battery results please, mine self discharges in about 2 weeks.  Would totally swap to a fancy lipo thingy if i can leave it in a corner for 3 months and still have some electrons left so i dont have to push start it down the street like a right old peasant.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, keltik said:

More info on battery results please, mine self discharges in about 2 weeks.  Would totally swap to a fancy lipo thingy if i can leave it in a corner for 3 months and still have some electrons left so i dont have to push start it down the street like a right old peasant.

You need to output between 13-14v to keep it happy I believe. Claims a shelf life of 12 months so good for bikes you don't ride. Had just enough juice in it out of the box to start me up and have been riding around the last few days no worries. I believe it only needs about a 5 min ride to recharge

2 hours ago, keltik said:

More info on battery results please, mine self discharges in about 2 weeks.  Would totally swap to a fancy lipo thingy if i can leave it in a corner for 3 months and still have some electrons left so i dont have to push start it down the street like a right old 

Didnt need a 5th gear to loose you on the gravel m8

Shimmed the carb needle to a half notch and have gone back to standard hot plug as on 98 I get no issues.

Might run two cdi's. Can get them to retard the timing by putting different caps in there. Then flick a switch for low octane running.

No real reason for this other than I think it's neat and "adventury".

Could slot the stator and just set it up for 91 permanently

• Like 5

Think I will do the exhaust something like this.

IMG_20200105_111832.jpg.f684b21e630a7216f6a3e859c2d6f929.jpg

Dr200 header tucks in the best to avoid burning stuff. Muffler can be shortened a little (I have a 2" Coby here but it's so heavy) will probably pop a dB killer thing in the end of it. Will make a rear pipe out of 38mm bends. 

Should be able to clear the panniers, shock, tyre, and pillion this way. Have only found one pic of a gn125 with high scrambler exhaust, no one seems to bother changing the header at all. Having no panniers or pillion would make it easier

Muffler is via @UTERUS so hopefully the bike doesn't catch on fire now

• Like 5

On 05/01/2020 at 11:23, tortron said:

Think I will do the exhaust something like this.

IMG_20200105_111832.jpg.f684b21e630a7216f6a3e859c2d6f929.jpg

Dr200 header tucks in the best to avoid burning stuff. Muffler can be shortened a little (I have a 2" Coby here but it's so heavy) will probably pop a dB killer thing in the end of it. Will make a rear pipe out of 38mm bends. 

Should be able to clear the panniers, shock, tyre, and pillion this way. Have only found one pic of a gn125 with high scrambler exhaust, no one seems to bother changing the header at all. Having no panniers or pillion would make it easier

Muffler is via @UTERUS so hopefully the bike doesn't catch on fire now

Highlf likely I have some 38mm stainless and a couple of bends that you can have if you wish?

Was Gona get a tank bag, but realised I have more than enough junk laying around to put something together for free.

Vintage Kathmandu bumbag pack

IMG_20200112_105025.thumb.jpg.41df26365438f95612713eebfdbe334b.jpgIMG_20200112_105044.thumb.jpg.5cf70f675171425616257d920852a641.jpg

No arm straps to flap about like a backpack.

Waist strap goes nicely around the tank and frame Infront of the engine mount.

Cut the hanging loop thing in half and made it two small loop to attach another strap which goes around the headstock 

Has multiple tightening down straps which work perfectly in use as a tank bag

Still usable as a bumbag pack so I can take it off the bike for hiking around. Will also work as a tail bag if wanted.

Undo the headstock strap and I can move it down to fill the fuel up. Only thing missing is a clear pouch for maps/pace notes. Will figure out something for that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Messing about with a removable seat and under seat storage tray ideas.

At full compression the tyre doesn't even go past the frames seat rails. So plenty of space.

While finding space for the seat mechanism I loosened the rear guard

Original

IMG_20200112_141858.thumb.jpg.b03e503a91423e42235c2ced4e061bc2.jpg

AngledIMG_20200112_141915.jpg.6ab25ca8b070571bb51724e064874465.jpg

Looks a bit better in my opinion, my hope is that with it flatter like that it will guard a bit more mud. Wet gravel roads result in covered plate and rear lights, with the slightest bit landing on my back. Might add a truly stylish rubber flap if it doesn't help

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new stainless rear guard and a plastic inner guard from an old gn250

Ruined them and made this

IMG_20200124_143655.thumb.jpg.cb69739447dae8504810fc773aacbdd0.jpgIMG_20200124_143704.thumb.jpg.c39956affd6261b6420ba85df7cce394.jpg

never understood why the seat is bolted on a GN. A pull lever and some storage makes more sense.

I think I will be able to keep my wet weather suit in here. It's long enough for my tyre irons 

Rear guard is in the higher position I was trying out in an earlier post. Might go for a slim enduro type rear light once I smash the original one to bits throwing my leg over

• Like 5