tortron

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

I always feel the front has to come down about 3"

I think that's what they do. The frame looks pretty naff and couple with the tank makes the front look even higher. Not a great cafe base.

I want maximum clearance and cush riding tho

New tyre acquired

Shinko golden boy. 3.00-18

Thinking I should have gone the 3.50 if even just for looks. Will try it out and see how it handles. Minimal change in rolling diameter on the rear wheel. Just very narrow and doesnt fill the space nicely.

Going to get a dr200 camshaft and install for a small increase in performance. Cheap and cheerful, and have a rev counter cog on them unlike the more performance minded aftermarket stuff.

Because performance is limited I'm going to add some lightness.

Battery is the first to go. A 2.9kg lead acid brick. Have now got a much smaller (clearance for high exhaust in mind) lithium ion battery weighing in at about 0.5kg. a big improvement

Plus they don't mind laying on their sides.....

Don't "need" it but the lead acid once can power my cat proof chicken enclosure

• Like 2

Long range fuel tank

IMG_20191219_183621.thumb.jpg.a0ebf91c8abcf710107b46592f4589d2.jpg

Gn400 tank. Kinda rare I guess, they only made them for 2 years on the 80s.

Pretty sure it's Gona be lumpy under the paint, there's a funny ripple bend/dent in the underside spine of it.

But anyway. It holds over 12L compared to the gn125 10L.

Looks like it holds 3L in reserve, gn125 is 2L.

So I should happily crank another 50k with this and should be able to get to work without filling up twice a week.

Probably paint it black I guess

• Like 7

On 18/12/2019 at 05:59, tortron said:

Nup as above it's all in the battery. Some even have a setting so if you leave your lights on it will keep enough in charge for a couple of starts

What brand is that? I'm running a total loss system on my CL50 for the indicators. So something that avoids 'bricking' the battery would be sweet. 

16 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

What brand is that? I'm running a total loss system on my CL50 for the indicators. So something that avoids 'bricking' the battery would be sweet. 

Mine is a “poweroad” I see they also make 6v ones.

not sure at what point these ones turn off, but will be at a level to save the battery 

Apparently you can find a cbr250 stator in these by tapping the M5 bolts out to M6

Apparently it has more output

Also the winning combo of every gn125 scrambler/cafe racer seems to be 340mm rear shocks and raise the rear of the fuel tank 25mm to have it line up with the frame.

• Like 1

Removed lead acid battery, overflow, battery tray, and tool box

IMG_20191229_172505.thumb.jpg.018abee705938da0049ba8b01d616277.jpg

Made new tray. Drilled some holes in it for lightness. Used original battery strap, installed with lithium battery.

IMG_20191229_172520.thumb.jpg.aeb7515388f2bf578bfb13e4e6350493.jpg

Forgot to take a pic of it while out.

Didn't think about it too much as I will probably update it after running new exhaust. I want to make the seat removable and have a storage under it too, so will probably move all the loom and stuff too. Will probably have to chop up the rear guard etc.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1