fuel's 1991 Galant VR-4 Evolution

fuel

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

has been a while - still have this (obvs). I only got around to chucking on the AMG grill and amber corner lamps - the HKS TB elbow had a temp sensor hole drilled into the underside and ideally it needed a proper bung welded in so it doesn't leak. Ran out of time to chuck in the Bilsteins but still need to figure out how to mount the ABS sensor cable and brake line bracket onto those struts as they don't have the same mounting brackets as the original struts. 

Did end up having to refurbish the brakes though, put it through a WOF and it failed on the rotors being below min thickness and pads low which I knew about so already had some EBC yellow stuff and new rotors all round sitting there waiting to do the job. Problem is once I compressed the pistons in on both the front calipers at least one of the pistons per caliper started to get stuck. There was some gross yuckyness inside the calipers (but not rust). I ended up rebuilding the calipers with new seals, and then when it came time to bleed them back up both of the front lower rubber hoses had blockages in them so ended up fitting braided lines. This thing was fighting me every step of the way basically haha.

image.thumb.png.64df8c5549cda02a92e93ec88dd88a9c.png 

• Like 9

• 8 months later...

Rear brakes were also renewed at the same time, but only got around to swapping on the braided brake hoses this visit

image.thumb.jpeg.d16135d9eb85bf74769b010cb47179ee.jpeg

Also replaced some bushings in the gearbox side linkages with custom machined bronze bushings, made a bit of an improvement reducing play in the shifter.

image.thumb.jpeg.ca82119c53785a89c44d10ec6124a4ac.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e20cd92d4f939b27381baee8b0344583.jpeg

• Like 5

Also finally fitted the Whiteline 26mm rear sway bar that has been sitting on a shelf for 5 years, was a bit of a mission to get it out with the subframe in place. I dropped it down about 2 inches as the handbrake cables, ABS sensor wires, 4WS fluid lines etc were connected and couldn't be bothered disconnecting it all.

image.thumb.jpeg.ebd256323a484d254a3584d1af899dbd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ca95680146f5a2d0a507298044b93291.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cd564a154950bc7940445979eb391eee.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7eb060d1824e375fdece345ff7145de1.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

After driving this thing the ~1200km to nats and back it went largely without issues, blew off an intercooler hose while four up passing a car which was mildly inconvenient, and I stupidly left a 10mm spanner on the clutch slave bleed screw which made it all the way from Taumarunui to Marahau - cheers to @Cullen for spotting that cause I wouldn't have for a while, prob not until I was back haha.

Just some maintenance updates really - swapped out the clutch slave yet again because it seems the previous one I fitted ~5 years ago was wrong all along (thanks Rockauto) and that was what was causing my shifting issues as the clutch wasn't fully disengaging. The bleeder screw on the correct unit is in a much more difficult spot to access so no more accidentally leaving a 10mm spanner hanging off it again.

I've also had some new driveshaft hanger bearings and uni joints that I got off trademe yonks ago for like $50 that I've been meaning to get around to swapping out. There is a noise in the drivetrain somewhere which has been driving me crazy for the entire time I've had the car, it is hard to pinpoint where it is coming from but it sounds like metal on metal scraping and can generally hear it above 50km/h especially when the windows are down, to me it sounds like it's coming from the left hand side but mostly because the noise reflects back off things like houses and parked cars which are typically closer to the left side. Figured I may as well start with rebuilding the driveshaft and then work my way through process of elimination rebuilding or renewing things along the way. I know it's not the wheel bearings or ABS sensors because they checked out fine when I did the brakes, reckon it has to be a driveshaft bearing, front driveshaft hanger bearing, transfer case, rear diff or gearbox.

image.thumb.jpeg.98d2a93991937d8b1ced7ebfa55c5019.jpeg

Pulled the original shaft out and got the new parts ready

image.thumb.jpeg.f57128f16db0b906a671cf764f6594f4.jpeg

Mark the sections so it remains balanced and joints in sync

• Like 7

image.thumb.jpeg.b87e467bbecfe03d1792a1710ce7650d.jpeg

Rear section was the first to be split, was easy enough to undo the nut and pull the flange and old hanger bearing off.

image.thumb.jpeg.fef5aca85d4685cb6b805c0ba63d3c58.jpeg

I struggled at home with a vice and g-clamp for ages trying to press out the old uni joints and then had enough and took the lot down to my local workshop, thankfully my mate there is a GC and let me press them out myself

• Like 6

image.thumb.jpeg.90f9a7c89cc4c12cfe9d59821d4bfd46.jpeg

Got them home ready to reassemble

image.thumb.jpeg.56e9834b108e7ae6904acad15b400ca1.jpeg

Can see the originals had sagged and rubber perished, not that I heard or felt any thumping while accelerating, though there was a bit of noise and vibrations on deaccel but think that's the rear diff

image.thumb.jpeg.4c50e846da8d85d2e18149469cb06df9.jpeg

More grease in the lobro joint (didn't bother replacing this or even the boot because it seemed in good nick still)

• Like 8