kpr's AE85

mikuni

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cut it 3/4 the way through from the top with angle grinder. the thickness of a cutting blade was heaps enough (one of the old thick type) few whacks with hammer to adjust, then weld up. cuts were made right in close to the head.

will get it on alignment machine once its going. see how good my measuring was. if needs slight changes will run a weld on the case pull in the direction needed. may need to grind a slot before welding.

probably wont have too much effect for drags if your running some saggy drag tyres. but yeh isnt gonna help.

Keen to know how much this is going to wear your bearings etc. Was thinking its not a good idea but then 2degrees over the whole length of axles probably isn't too bad - and you are bending the axle back by the diff head. Keen to maybe try this out for the sunny.

Also heard people just laying weld beads and the heat is enough to distort the housing.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

have put a standard supra (also shit like hilux ones) one in a hilux head before. so it should be the same deal, i hope.

only problem is the supra lsd center has a different offset. so cant adjust enough to get the backlash right. just need to machine a few theads off one of the adjuster rings, so the thread doesnt bottom out

will grab some more pics when i put the trd one in. but this is the standard supra one in hilux carrier, i tried in the kp.

Pic_0018diff.jpg

just checking.. but did you use the original crown and pinion that was in the hilux head? didn't swap a different crown wheel on or anything silly?

apparently in the hilux heads, theres something different to do with the crown wheel mounting in ratios lower than 4.8ish. what ratios were in the two heads that you've used parts from?

the cars looking awesome