xsspeed's Premier Project

xsspeed

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For what I want to do to it its a pretty good base point, this car itself has a dead rego and too much work to get revinned, but its worth keeping for the good points cos these cars tend to have lived hard lives. Doors, floor pan, bonnet, guards, front end are all mint on this one. Just has rust in roof and rusty RHS sills.

As I mentioned I am tracking down the one I sold last year to try buy it back off the bloke, as that one was in better knick than this.

• 1 year later...

I wanted motivation not peer pressure. :lol:

Not much to update, so I better get my a into g. Current details are, the premier we sold and were trying to track down has dissappeared off the face of the earth.

This left me wondering what to do as it was definately in better knick than this one.

However, closer inspection shows that the car only needs replacement of one outer sill, and part of the roof - may even replace entire roof (form a standard HX/HZ kingswood as would be cheap to source)

There is a guy in invercargill who folds up sills and floor pans for these on TM, so will likely get the sill form him.

Other rusted areas are the front cowl under windscreen, nothing major bit in one place its quite pitted so I will probably get a rarespares cowl (at around $300 :doubt: )

So the plan now is source a local 202 for cheap as my one is in Fielding in a million and 1 pieces, (this was originally a 202 premier) as I imagine the revin process will be easier with the original donk rather than a vee eight. Further down the track I will prob just put a 308 in it.

I still need to get the rest of the trim up from the 'ding, and as I am trying to get to Japan for the end of this year it will likely be a looooooooong term project (as if its not already).

• 5 months later...

You want motivation?

I'll donate you my spare running 202 (runs sweet and was rebuilt no more than 20,000km ago apparantly) and a 4 speed manual for free (floor shift) if you want to get some progress done.. It needs a dizzy and front harmonic damper but you should have those from your dismantled motor..

Come down LNI for Nats and grab motor and gearbox from me and all your trim etc from the 'ding....

Oh also that radiator of yours is a NATRA - AKA National Radiators http://www.radiators.co.nz/

Mean offer KKK!!!

Well japan fell through, so I am here all summer, finally getting rid of the last donor car for my corolla so premier will start getting attention, strip and reassemble the good bits.

Another trip to Fielding should be on the cards then.

Will start planning and see what I can do. Which nats? Wagnats?

• 4 years later...

well lol, that was a while

Finally collected a whole lot of parts for this, so got about 50% of the interior

Going to need new door cards as these are toast, seats are in good nick but will need recovering.

Unfortunately a whole heap of stz got stolen including the guage cluster surround, so will need to stump up for a new one.

Known things needed:

Front windscreen

Front bumper (mine is rusty and bent)

Door cards and upholstery

Seats reupholstered

Dash facia/glove box structure/stereo supports etc Think I have all the fans and heater box etc

Fix rust on doors

Fix rust on sill

Fix small rust in roof and get vinyl recovered

Replacement boot (mines full of bog)

Replacement bonnet (its a bit pitted so a smooth one would be ideal)

Premier twin headlight buckets

Lowering gear, presumably drop spindles up front

Speeno twisted my arm so I will be looking for a big block for this, I have a few diffs already, the two holden lsds I have wont be up to the task, also got a couple of ford 9" diffs which I'm not sure if they are good enough for BBC or not? Speeno?

Gearbox will probably end up being a 4l80e or similar (assuming they can handle a big block)

Will start selling off my hoarded stz to acquire parts for this, once I get my crayola out of the workshop over to our new house in the new year I should start getting somewhere 

• Like 1

Mayyte! How wide are those 9" diffs? should be sweet as, what spline? either will be fine though. You can run P76 discs up front with a adapter kit if you want ford stud pattern all around.

Going 4L80 is a big jump up in cost, you need to buy a gearbag controller to make it work and the boxes themselves aren't cheap. They are rad though, just a fancy new t400 with a overdrive really. If you are going for the cheaper option just get a T400, get some decent gearing in the diff and it will chug along sweet.

Dont have the housings for them yet, just heads, not sure on spline, they are supposedly 3.5 ratio. Will have a better look on the weekend. No idea if they are open or LSD (I know nothing about ford 9"s). its seems getting chev pattern axles is a thing (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/ford/diffs-axles/auction-821855461.htm) so might just do that, going to stick with these brand new prostars and BFGs for rim/tyre combo

Overdrive would be lush/save my wallet on long trips lol, but yeah pretty much I just want a lazy >300kw and some notbad.avi's

OK cool, can be expensive to build a 9" so watch out. Try track down a ford exploder diff, 8.8's are tough as and most have LSD's, disc brakes just weld on mounts and pop a skid. The one I got for the chevy was $300, cheapest/easiest slam dunk bullet proof rear end ever.

Just get a TH400 and if you feel rich chuck a gear vendors over drive on the end of it, still be less that the 4L80 and you wont need to setup a computer. 4L80 is the ideal box though if you are just burning cash (spend some on your k24 swap instead).

LOL at Steeb thinking his Big Block is going to make a million HP and break everything.

Good job Steeb.

/ you won't break a 4l60e (just look at the Crusher Camaro) unless you spend a bunch of money, but as Diddy said Th400 and Exploder diff will see you right/ Don't do a Tom on this...

• Like 1

Dayf pls, pretty sure a BBC would make short work of a 308 diff, and assumed a 9" would be ok but wasnt sure, I will see if I have the rest of the 9" gear otherwise can sell it and get an exploder. 4l60 would be sweet if they can live with the torque? obviously they arent as strong as an 80.

Agree that a TH400 would be fine and easier

Do a Tom is what? drag car? 

Steebs learning rookie, I guess he means don't go getting all the best shit from day one and make it a big deal. Chuck in a diff that gets you rolling (exploder) and the cheapest/easiest box (400)

My truck has a 4l60 and it doesn't break when I do skids, 4L60 still needs electronic control though. The cheaper option for OD is a 700r4 from like a VP commy (although they are getting harder to find) and give it a DIY rebuild and replace some of the known weaker bits and it will be all good. All you need to make one work is the proper bits for the line pressure cable, you lunch the box real quick if you don't do that properly.

SO YOUR OPTIONS ARE:

4l80e: needs electronic control, will handle mega HP,has OD & TQ lockup and costs $$$

4L60e: electronic control, handle reasonable power no worries, has OD, reasonably priced

700R4: Has a bad name for breaking but they are OK, no real electronics but has a OD and TQ lockup, need to rebuild it and replace a few things, harder to find now days.

TH400: chuck in a stock one and do skids, cheap & tough, no OD so 1:1 final drive, hook up one vacuum line and go. Mine has a shift kit and it slaps through gears like a boss. $1500 bucks and a new driveshaft gets you a push button gear vendors OD in the future, still no TQ lock-up but who cares.

There's other shit that will work like a Th350 or 200r4 which can both be built to take power but not worth the mention here.

• Like 1