'81 1600 ex lancer cambelt change

Trigga

does anyone have any experience in changing a cambelt on a 1600 '81 ex?

i cut mine when i was taking the engine out for some stupid reason, now ive put the engine back in but need to change the cambelt

any help would be sweet

cheers

mate it's a piece of piss.

There are alignment notches on the crank and cam pulleys, and oil pump drive. If yours has balance shafts there will be alignment marks on them too.

Just align everything up to TDC and whip the belt on and over the tensioner, then push on the tensioner a little to tighten up the belt and tighten up the tensioner bolt.

If yours has balance shafts, the shaft driven off the oil pump is at a 2:1 ratio, you'll need to take the bung off the inlet side of the block and put a 8mm philips screwdriver in to make sure the balance shaft is the right way when you align up the oil pump drive, otherwise the balance shaft will be 180deg out and will cause vibration issues.

This page is for cambelt replacement on a FWD 4G63 DOHC, ignore mostly everything except for the bit about the balance shaft (ie the bung in the block, alignment etc) if yours has balance shafts - http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-1G.html

Here is an online manual for the 4G63 and 4G64 engines, both SOHC and DOHC, the section about the 4G63 and 4G64 SOHC 8V will be almost identical to your 4G32 - http://www.scribd.com/doc/4570538/Mitsu ... G64-Engine

you don't need a timing belt cover to fit a new cambelt, the notches are cut into the pulley and there are raised markers on the oil pump housing for the crank timing, and for the cam timing there is a notch in the cam gear which lines up with a notch at the top of the steel sandwhich plate behind the cam gear.

The timing marks on the plastic cover are for spark timing if you're using a timing light.

Also I'm pretty sure you can't put the crank pulley on the wrong way around as there's a keyway for the cambelt pulley, and a dowel pin for the outer pulley.

had a go today, couldnt get the cam cover off so smashed it to pieces

wrong cambelt sent by the guy i brought it from so that'll go back and ill get one from repco or supercheap

so i need to line up all the markers facing the same way? whats TDC?

cheers

did I not just answer that question two times above already?

TDC = top dead centre, ie when #1 piston is at the very top, beginning of the inlet stroke. Number #4 will also be at TDC at the same time, except it will be at the start of the exhaust stroke.

its quite hard to explain but il gve it a go.if you take the water pump pulley off you can get a better look at it.just along a bit from the oil pump drive thers a raised up triangle thng tht lines up wth a cut in triangle on the smallest crank pulley.nd the one on the cam pulleys easy to see.a little white dot on the face of it. clean all around ur oil pump nd crank pulley and youl find it

did I not just answer that question two times above already?

TDC = top dead centre, ie when #1 piston is at the very top, beginning of the inlet stroke. Number #4 will also be at TDC at the same time, except it will be at the start of the ignition stroke.

o shit, u didnt just do that, the world is about to end, run for cover :lol::lol: