sheepers MS51 Crown which is on the road and cursing like a boss.

sheepers

so ive been doing fuck all recently. i bought a lathe that has required a bit of stuffing around getting it in my shed and tidying it up and whatnot. 

but apart from that ive not done much.

when i was driving the car around the other week it became apparent that the rear wheels were rubbing on the inside when i went into driveways. basically as the diff rolls in the car the inside top of the rim was rubbing against the body.

i did it a few times and got a pretty good set of marks to show me where it was rubbing.

then i went about moving the body inwards to clear the wheel.

how did i do that? well, i cut a strip out of the boot floor, right next to where the inner guard comes down, about 15mm wide with a taper at each end. then i stretched the inner guard and jacked it inwards until the gap i cut was not there any more, then i welded up the cut.

hopefully these pics will make it make sense. 

9465012676_1882db8d53_o.jpg
Untitled by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr

9465017718_ab96c6cf60_o.jpg

so now im ready to paint the inside of the boot. there's not much to that really. im not going to try and get a show winning paint job. ill just be happy if its got a good coat of paint really. then its time to start on getting the outside ready for paint.

• Like 1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i cut all the bosses off the rocker cover that i didn't need, welded up the holes and re-powder coated it.

its been done for a while but i forgot to post any pics of it. 

i was going to polish the "OHC" letters like last time but i like it all black like it is so im going to leave it. 

9481162347_f955c46a80_o.jpg

9481159319_4f3b1936ba_o.jpg

9481153635_2eaa0c77b0_o.jpg
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

fuck ive been slack over the last month.

Anywho, i wanted to paint the boot but i needed to fix the rust in the rear quarters before i could do that because i would have just burnt off the paint if i did it afterwards. 

so i fixed the rust.

these is the bits i cut off.

9642988334_d2c7ed122c_o.jpg
RIMG0030 by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr

on the drivers side i had to make a new inner and the back of the arch and a new outer skin. for the passengers side i didn't need to make the inner but needed a new arch bit and a skin. 

tis is one of the outer skins. 
9642994298_889aff0cb4_o.jpg
RIMG0029 by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr

this is the new inner and back of the arch welded in, ust have to put the skin back on. 

9639769341_915e1f98ec_o.jpg
RIMG0028 by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr

and then welding the skin back on. super trick to weld it without it distorting and im pretty happy how its turned out.
i havent finished the other side yet but its pretty close.

9639738727_eab164bc82_o.jpg
RIMG0032 by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr

9639732459_9431a066cf_o.jpg
RIMG0033 by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr

also the bumpers are being re-chromed. these are the bumper irons acid dipped and powder coated.

9642980034_d8ae2fc9a3_o.jpg
RIMG0031 by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr

so once this is done i can paint the boot. ive stripped most of it back to bare metal so i should be able to get a coat of primer on it this week. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

fuckin finally!!

boot is primed. so now ill give it a scuff up, put some seal sealer in the places that need it, brush some primer in the places the gun wont get and then ill prime it again and wet coat it with colour and clear.

hopefully ill have it finish painted on saturday.

9727758987_a662d716a3_o.jpg
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

well then. 

air bag tank and valves are all back in and functioning. i had an issue with a couple of the valves sticking so ive fixed that.

i wasn't happy with where the front height sensors were because i had to reduce the steering lock to accommodate them so i moved them. now i have a good amount of lock (for drifting obviously) and the front sensors are a bit more out of harms way.

now that its all back in for the final time and the motor is all sorted (you have to have the motor running to properly calibrate the height control system) ive set up the height control and pre sets properly and thats all working perfectly. 

in other news i want to tick off a few little jobs before i get stuck into painting it. one of them was making the false panels for the engine bay to hide the wires and the power steering pump.

so this is a plywood template i made for one side.

9947453134_f41bdf385c_o.jpg

9947434286_29c8398e36_o.jpg

i wanted to make the panels out of aluminium and paint them green. i will put some plates behind the holes and paint them black so they kind of fit in with the rest of it.
i decided id have a go at something i saw ages ago as a way of shaping aluminium plate. the plate im using for this job is 5mm thick.
basically you use a table mounted router and a cutter with a bearing on the end that allows you to follow a pattern.
cutting aluminium with a router is fucking tricky and i would rate it about a 9 in the "are you going to cut your fingers off with this contraption" scale so if your going to have a go at this for fuck sake be super careful.
how to do?
cut your piece of aluminium plate as close to the finished shape as you can leaving about 1-2mm on the edge.

9947539193_cdfc9a45d8_o.jpg

9947372685_e8cff7234e_o.jpg

double sided tape your pattern to the plate and set up your router.
you need to make a depth stop so you can only cut up to a maximum of 1mm deep at a time. if you try and go any deeper than that then bad things happen. (*this i know).
this is my depth guide. its shaped so i can get into the internal radius and still control the cut.

9947525023_ffc10de411_o.jpg

9947428044_b6476dfa20_o.jpg

then you set the depth of cut so the ball bearing is running on the pattern and the cutter is cutting the plate and not your pattern.

9947403946_b1d37bfdf9_o.jpg

then cut. start the cut so that if it digs in it will just flick the job off the cutter rather than into the cutter. umm, if you know what climb milling is then dont climb mill it.. remember that your looking onto the end of the cutter from its bottom so its not spinning the way you think it is. if that makes sense. 
anywho by taking as many cuts as you need to remove the excess material and taking it slowly you can make an exact copy of your pattern with a really good machined edge.

9947378635_28c0a9208a_o.jpg

why did i go to the trouble of making a pattern then making another part when i could have just made the aluminium plate fit right from the start and cut out the middle man?
well all the parts around this are finish painted. making a template out of wood is relatively quick and if you fuck it up/change your mind its easy to make another pattern. 
i will still have to "fit" the aluminium plates but the will require very little work. i also intend to use a radius cutting bit i bought for the router to put a super high tech rad on the edge and make it look factoryish.
thats my story. 

so i have a few other little jobs id like to tick off before i paint it but its getting there. im still hopeful of having a cert plate on this thing before the year is out but we will see. 

sheepers.

• Like 9

another job i wanted to tick off before painting was getting the windscreen washers finished.

the pump is there and its wired up i just needed to make an adaptor to go from the large outlet on the tank (8mm dia) to the washer hose size (4 mm dia) and run the hoses. i made the adaptor out of brass and ran the hoses.

i made some clips to hold the hose up under the fire wall lip so its tidy.

10065622145_b6fecb893e_o.jpg

i made the clips using washers with the side ground off that i then welded an M3 cap screw to the top of.
drilling the holes through the lip was a bit nerve racking but i got there in the end. 

10065711253_ba52645fd5_o.jpg
  • Like 2

drivers side rear arch is getting close to right shape wise. i couldn't see how it was looking, it felt pretty good but i wanted to put some primer on it so i could see the shape better and i must say im pretty happy wit hit.

its not right yet but its getting very close and for me this is a minor miracle. getting shapes right is something that takes me ages  and i only started this on saturday.

10134182974_096b24f845_o.jpg

10134256125_feb8bf776d_o.jpg

10134169534_03d2e33dfa_o.jpg
  • Like 4