steelies KP60

Steelies

so alternator works according to mr. pro.

installed, no go

check ignition source, charge connection, lamp, reference wire, all good. earth good. no go.

wire it up completely separate from car loom - no go.

triple checked which connection is which. check.

tried another lamp too.

batt gives 12.5V standing and 12.34V when running.

any pearls of wisdom? cos it's got me completely stumped.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

chur.

had a quick squizz at the kp60 fuses/relays, nothing untoward but yet to check again,  against manuals also.

all fuses in main fuse box o.k

i wired it separately from car loom and had same fail though.

mr pro wants another look at the alternator so i'll drop that off again this avo.

• 3 weeks later...

oh lol at carbs falling off. that was my exact problem, drove the last 20k's to fox glacier with only 2 runners attached. You have to be real gentle tightening up the clamps. Make sure that the silicone doesnt get squished off as you do up the clamps and make sure that none of them are jumping the teeth, approximately half of mine are now jumping teeth and they are supposed to be the fancy ones

also mine are now cable tied in place, but im sure you said you had braced yours, so maybe more/better bracing

also, I really like the air fittings for vacuum lines, I think I may employ that feature myself at some point

haha!  i'm amazed they still run well enough like that without major lean symptoms etc.

gah i'm not even using the nice silicone stuff, got some on the way though. gotta squeeze 45mm down to 42, may not happen without the above tooth-jumping.

i'm using the narrower hose clamps from Mikalor, got em at HCD. no complaints, theyre pretty mean.

yeah the fittings have worked well (so far), providing the petrol/heat combo doesnt completely fuck the orings too soon.

used the metric face-seal ones in the runners, at M5 size the threaded end is only 3 or 4 mm long, lucky for 3mm wall tube.

ended up having to use the harder compound hose, soft stuff deformed straight away once the motor got hot. the orings sphinctered the soft tube up real good.

more importantly, these fittings have blue bits.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

i gots me a hilux. ute lyf is so convenient, why didnt anyone say?

yeah pretty sad about letting starla go, but it's the lesser of two evils really. finally got the screw-holed 13" fixed so it can look cool again, wof nek wek etc.

haha gassyvan! should really draw that for inspiration. yup van is chillin in hibernation for a while, ie while i sort out the next lot of life crisis i just signed up for.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...