Spacers

cute wee gem

Right so I need 20mm spacers for the front of this car. According to the cert guide they need to have a center bore ring so the hub is carrying the load, problem is my wheels don't fit snugly over the hub anyway. I'm not actually intending to go for a cert at this stage, I just want to know what is safe especially when the car gets abuse. I'm looking at the bolt on type.

Machining something would be perfect but probably the expensive way to go unless you know someone

I'm unsure if repco can offer you anything either. Some do pop up from time to time on trademe but are just from private sellers (ie don't offer a range). Your best bet is to shoot down to a wheel retailer like, as hard as it is to suggest, mag and turbo or something similar. They will sting you a bit but you should walk away with a full set for around the $70 mark I would imagine, which is probably about the cost of time and materials for someone to lathe up and it will save you a favour for when you need something really specilised done.

I was looking at these for one of my cars and found a couple links on trademe but I can't access that from work unfortunately.

plastic rings suggested are the go

im running them on my spacers, has the added bonus that if you change wheels to ones with a different size centre spigot you can remove or fit other rings to fit wheels without having to machine ur spacers etc

so what is the actual purpose of them? to help centralise the wheel when you put it on to bolt it on?

would just look like a cylinder with, what, 5.5mm sidewall? and as wide as the locator part of the hub that sticks out?

edit, so you need to space the wheels out 20mm as well as centralise it? is there enough thread to get the nuts on if you where to just space it 20 mm using the standard studs?

also, plastic as a spacer, surely you cant roll that legally? if so, fuck that.

i think i've misunderstood, or maybe others have?

Loads up the hub rather than the studs

edit: yeah just a cylinder that fills the gap between hub (or in this case spacer) to the wheels center hole. Look at some mags vs a stock steel wheel and you'll see the original fits over the hub but the mag will probably be bigger.

ahh i see

i dont think the things are that cheap then, i remember (some time ago now) alloy ones to cert standard where upwards of 200,

if they dont meet cert standards im not convinced tyre shops would sell them, as they're then liable if something goes wrong as it's illegal

certifiable:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 168675.htm

Because it bolts to origional studs, as well as locates centrally and has centralising part for wheel

not certifiable:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 082880.htm

just sandwhiches in between wheel and hub

*this is information i learnt some time ago when i was helping comply cars into nz, not certifying. ive been proved wrong with cert type stuff before and im happy to be proved wrong again if you find out.

from memory there might be some magic number where first ones HAVE to be used, you'd need to look into it more

at the end of the day 1st ones are a fuckload safer, but for instance ive got the second ones on the mini with from memory no wheel locator so if your not going for a cert and can find them, just make sure you use longer studs and have some decent meat for the nut to hold onto